Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:31:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 622
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Issues After Pneumonia?  (Read 4664 times)

Offline tednlou2

Issues After Pneumonia?
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:15:30 am »
I've been having this dull ache in my left shoulder blade for over a year now.  If I breathe in too hard, it will stop me.  If I sneeze, I feel it.  I feel it when I'm doing nothing.  I've been thinking it was just some kind of back issue or pinched nerve kind of thing.  It just feels like I need a very good adjustment.  I get my brother to give me adjustments now and then.  It seems to help for a day, but then it is back. 

I told my HIV doc about it.  I told him I thought I just needed to get adjusted on a regular basis.  Like many MD's, he was against the chiropractor route.  He said it could be due to the pneumonia I had--had it in the left lung where I'm having this issue.  He said pneumonia and the pleurisy can push out on the muscles and tissues and cause this issue.  He suggested doing exercises where I take in deep breaths while I move my arms around.  I'm giving that a try.  I suppose I could be doing something everyday that is causing this--like sitting in a bad chair or something.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this after pneumonia or heard of others?  I had a chest x-ray done a few months after I was sick and it didn't show anything wrong.  My doc could be right that it moved stuff around?  I wondered about the fluid from the pleurisy.  I know many people have to have it drained out.  They never did that for me.  Where did that fluid go?  Did my body just absorb it?  I'm asking cause I'm wondering whether there could still be fluid there.  However, would that x-ray have shown that?  I don't feel out of breathe or anything--just this nagging ache.  It seems to hurt more in the morning when ya first wake up and take in those first deep breaths.

Offline mpositive

Re: Issues After Pneumonia?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:01:46 am »
Go to the Chiro anyway.  Can't hurt and can only help.  One of things I used to do, every morning, is from a standing position lean forward, beninding over sorta.   Then swinging my arms together forwards and back.  I was told to do that by a doctor years ago and it really helped me out.  Try it sometime.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
Actually seeing a chiropractor can do serious damage.

Chiropractic "science" is horseshit. If you're in pain see a proper doctor.

MtD

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:37:16 pm »
I didn't have this experience post-pneumonia but as Matty said, see a doctor.
good luck.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:30:36 am by GNYC09 »

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:12:41 pm »
I wondered about the fluid from the pleurisy.  I know many people have to have it drained out.  They never did that for me.  Where did that fluid go?  Did my body just absorb it?  I'm asking cause I'm wondering whether there could still be fluid there.  However, would that x-ray have shown that?
many people don't have the fluid drained though as meds and/or time will reduce the fluids and the inflammation. yes it would have been visible on an xray. it is common to have these kinds of pains while recovering from pneumonia, though usually not a year later. However, it is possible to be very weakened, to tire easily, and to never feel very "recovered" depending on how bad your case of pneumonia was. Other causes for your pain, along with some that you mentioned, could be bursitis, arthritis, general joint/muscle inflammation (which is known to be an HIV issue), and yes even just simple aging. Sometimes these things don't creep up; but suddenly happen. Of course, it could have been triggered or worsened to the point of you noticing by having been physically impaired with the pneumonia.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:27 am »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to keep doing the exercises and see if that helps.  If not, I'll talk to my doc again.  I've heard non-HIV people say they didn't feel right for a long time after pneumonia.  I do have lower back issues from back surgery.  Maybe I'm putting stress on the upper back by compensating due to lower back issues. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:15:07 am »
Since I'm talking about pneumonia, I had another question and didn't want to start a new thread.  My friend wanted me to come by his mom's tonight.  He told me she was sick with pneumonia and was being treated at home.  I didn't really want to go anyway, but decided to avoid it after hearing she had pneumonia.

I've heard so many different things about how you get pneumonia.  Some things I've read say you don't catch it like you do the flu.  It said the germs for strep-pneumonia are hanging out in your throat and just waiting for an opportunity to get into your lungs like when you're sick with a cold or flu.  Other things I've read say you definitely catch it like you do the flu as well as from the bacteria already hanging out in your throat.  Most sites say smoking greatly increases your chances of getting it as smoking destroys those little hairs in your airways.

I know when I got it, my nephew who I was around claimed to have been sick with it.  I don't know if that was actually confirmed.  There does seem to be a debate about how one gets pneumonia.  What do you think/know?  Was it an irrational fear to be around my friend's mom?  It is probably good to avoid anyone sick if we don't have to be around them.   

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 10:55:09 am »
There does seem to be a debate about how one gets pneumonia.  What do you think/know?  Was it an irrational fear to be around my friend's mom?  It is probably good to avoid anyone sick if we don't have to be around them. 
the reason there is this quandary is that pneumonia can be bacterial (spread through the air by a cough) or viral (like PCP which develops when your immune system quits holding the virus, which most of us have inside, in check). So it depends on what type of pneumonia someone is suffering from whether it is contagious or not.

I prefer, even though my health is much better in these past few years than say just 5 yrs ago, to avoid at all costs being around anyone sick for any reason. period. My friends and family learned years ago when I was much sicker to warn me when someone is ill so that I don't come around for a visit and I still require those warnings today. Overkill in precaution? perhaps. but for me there was a long time in which my tcells stayed <150 and I had a real reason to be a "germ-ophobe". These days I don't have to worry so much with tcells >200 (but still <250), but old habits die hard. Besides, really? who wants to expose themselves to catching an illness? Ick!

Just remember, if EVERYONE with a cold would just stay home for a few days, and not be out in the world shopping, working, etc. the common cold would not be such a major issue to cause pharmacies to have whole aisles of cold "remedies".
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 11:05:56 am »
Ted your immune system is fine.  It's smart to avoid someone who's sick, but you don't need to worry about being around sick people.  Don't make me come to Louisville and spank you.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 10:53:18 pm »
Ted your immune system is fine.  It's smart to avoid someone who's sick, but you don't need to worry about being around sick people.  Don't make me come to Louisville and spank you.

I may like a good spanking.  I'll check air fares to Louisville...lol.  Thanks for the reality check.  I'm sure you're right that I would have been okay to visit her.  Mikey, thanks for your info, too.  Not knowing what my numbers looked like before I got it made me wonder how ya get it.  Docs have told me I could have gotten it even if I were neg, but said I shouldn't have gotten as sick.  When my brother was sick, I forced myself to be around him to prove I'm not as fragile as I was thinking I was.  I'm slowly getting there where I don't worry so much.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:09 pm »
I'm slowly getting there where I don't worry so much.
lordy I worry still though. :D No I'm not the germophobe I was for nearly 3 yrs after the PCP when someone sneezing in another aisle of the grocery store would send me dashing for the door leaving my cart behind; but on the other hand, I've been sick enough in my 48 years that I don't want to be sick again if I can help it. And at 48, I'm smart enough to stay the hell away from germy people so my 240 tcells don't have to work needlessly and will be there to work when I need them to work.

When my brother was sick, I forced myself to be around him to prove I'm not as fragile as I was thinking I was.
Don't be a dummy. ::):D Stay away from sick people. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline RedBear

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:21 pm »
hey Ted, just wanted to put my two cents in.  Been about a year and a half since my bout with it and still have pain from time to time.  Weakness still from time to time.  Been up and down with it all, but better than before.  So know your not alone.  Doc said not to worry, bodies been through a lot and to give it time.
Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with you old nonsense. 
                              Emerson

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.