Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did anyone took Complera?  (Read 4358 times)

Offline StandTro

• Encouragement, and cure.
Did anyone took Complera?
« on: August 11, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »
Hi I need your help.

By tomorrow night I am going to take my first HIV medication since 9 years this Medical person told me on 2004 I am HIV positive.
For 9 years I didn't take no HIV medication until tomorrow night Monday 8/12/2013 It will be my first time taking call Complera.

I would like to know did anyone ever took this medication Complera? If you did, what is your experience of this medication? and does this medication changes our body fat, facial appearance, things like that?

Thanks
Will

Offline tednlou2

Re: Did anyone took Complera?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:46:28 pm »
I just wanted to wish you all the best for little to no side-effects.  Like you, I have been poz at least since 2001, and not on meds.  But, I feel the time is nearing.  I will be interested to see what the more experienced folks tell you.  Many are at the AMG gathering and it is a weekend, so be patient. 

I just met this past week with the pharmacist, at my HIV clinic.  I felt it was time to go over my options again.  Last time I met with them was 2009.  We discussed Complera and Stribild, as those weren't an option in 2009.  I could tell the pharmacist was favoring these drugs over the regimen I had chosen, which was Truvada, Reyataz, and Norvir.  He did say Complera was less forgiving, as far as adherence/resistance goes.  I explained that while I feel I would be adherent, I wasn't sure I would want to start a med, that I could never miss a dose.  Then, he said he shouldn't have scared me like that.  He said the 95% adherence still applied to Complera, and he shouldn't have acted like one or two missed doses could ruin it.  But, he still said it was less forgiving, but said mainly for someone missing more than average missed doses. 

He said Complera and Stribild don't have the lipid issues that folks can run into with P.I.'s.  He said I wouldn't have the issues that Norvir can have, affecting other meds I take.  If I remember correctly, he said I would need to take it with a 500 calorie meal.  One pill a day does seem better than having to take 3, especially if you're traveling and have to make sure you take enough of all three. 

So, again, I will be interested in the replies you get.  I need to start learning more about this and Stribild, so I can make an informed decision.  My big question was whether to start a med, that doesn't have the years of study that the others have.  Would some big issue pop up, that wasn't known in safety trials?  He said it has proved very safe and effective.  He said like many meds, they have to list every event that happened.  If someone died of other causes in the trials, they had to report that.  If someone had a heart attack that would have happened anyway, they had to report that.  In all, he said it was just as safe and effective (without causing those issues you asked about) as any of the other first-line regimens. 

Anyway, all the best on your first dose.  Be sure to let us know how it goes, and in the weeks and months ahead.  Of course, any med affects people differently.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:21:12 am »
Hi Will, long time no see!

I've moved your thread into the Treatments section, which is the more appropriate place for it. You'll find lots of other threads about Complera in this section.

The main thing with Complera is that you need to take it with a meal. It's probably best to take it with whatever meal you eat the most at, so you don't have to worry too much about the 500 calories thing.

Good luck - quite a few forum members are on this combo and are doing just fine.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »
Hello!

I can tell you about my experience so far with Complera.

I don't have tons of experience living with HIV, but I can still share what I know or experienced. I'm a 26 years old guy, diagnosed in the 2009 during Fall, and probably got it earlier that year, so it's been 4 years. I started taking Complera on last July 1st, so it's been 6 weeks so far. And I had not endured any side effects ; it actually went muuuuuuuch better than I thought. I had, a bit before starting, some sort of panic attack episode at the thoughts of starting treatment and of the possible side effects we always hear about. But, really, my time with it have been so much better than what I would have thought.

I take my pill at breakfast, which is usually around 10AM. It happened I ended up taking it earlier or later too, always as I take my first meal of the day. I started with heavy breakfast, because of what the doctor told me about complete-350 to 400 calories minimum meals (eggs and bacon, greek yogourt with pancakes, stuff like that), but now, I feel good simply taking two slices of bread with jam or peanut butter on them. I tend to eat better actually just to make sure my breakfast is full enough, so I'll add some fruits (banana, apples...) You just need to make sure that a portion of your meal is solid food, not only liquid calories like Ensure, or milk. If you like cheese, bagels, etc. you'll be fine !

I also went on a trip to a 3hours difference time zone about 2 weeks after starting treatment. At first, I was worried about the timing difference, but I came here to read what people already answered to that specific topic, and I was reassured : a few hours difference, won't make a difference in the end. The important part is to adhere to your med and to take it everyday, tho if you miss it once, it will still work well.

Next week, I'm getting blood test to check how the med is working for me. I always had around 750 to 1000 CD4 and a VL between 5,000 and 20,000, so I hope it will be fast to get undetectable. I'm confident that starting meds was the right decision, as it's easier to get good results while your numbers are still good.

Hope this helped you a bit. I tend to go in all directions and lose track of what I talk about, so don't hesitate to ask me anything if you need to. Also, sorry for the bad English and mistakes! ^^"

Don't worry, it will go well for you. :)

Offline StandTro

• Encouragement, and cure.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:04 pm »
Hey thanks for the info. I just took my first pill around 10:10pm EST. We pray first before I take it. I eat food later ago 7:pm EST. Then around 10:10pm EST I took my first pill of  Complera.
Will

Offline jampdx

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:11:01 am »
Will,

I'd love to touch base with you in a bit. I was diagnosed in 2009 and still am not in a place number wise to need meds, but my dr said she's really changing her mind on not starting meds just because you're a long term slow progresser and after her latest hiv conference, we both decided its probably time.

Complera hands down seems to have the lowest side effects and just complaints in general, other than the 400 calorie meal.

Tonight was my first pill and I'm not sure what I was expecting, like music or fireworks, but nothing happened, so I did the dishes.  :P I'm still not having nausea or anything really and it's been five hours.

Best to you my friend and I'll be curious to see if you experience anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:15:08 am by jampdx »
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-Infected 1/6/2009
Positive 2/9/2009
3/8/2009:  CD4 603  VL f\'d up by lab and having to redraw
4/7/2009 CD4 650 VL 348
6/24/2009 cd4 964 VL 850
9/26/2009 CD4 546 VL 822
7/22/13 CD4 1080 VL 2,220
6/30:2018 CD4 780 VL Undetectable

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:57:03 am »
Been on Complera for awhile and its been pretty side effect free.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:11:35 pm »
Hey thanks for the info. I just took my first pill around 10:10pm EST. We pray first before I take it. I eat food later ago 7:pm EST. Then around 10:10pm EST I took my first pill of  Complera.

Hi Will,

Good for you for starting meds. You'll see, it's obviously worth it. If anything happens, advise your doctor so that you can make your treatment go better if any side effects were to occur.

The only thing, and someone with more experience should correct me if I'm wrong, is that I think you would have to take Complera with your meal or very close to it. My doctor told me 30 minutes after the meal would be the longest I should wait, because you need to take Complera while you're digesting. I believe it would be important you take the pills during or soon after your meals the next times you take your Complera. :)

I usually take it while eating my breakfast, before I'm done eating everything (while coffee is getting ready, I simply go get my daily pill, and I keep it in my place to not forget it hehe). Sometimes I'll also eat it few minutes after my last bites; that way, I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day. :)

Let us know how it goes!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.