Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:11:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: could you help me? please.  (Read 4199 times)

Offline help i need somebody

could you help me? please.
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »
First of all I´d like to thank you (Andy; Ann and Rapid Rod) for all what you do in this forum helping people like me who are going crazy and don´t know what to do.
I´m a man who had  protected vaginal sex with a Csw in July but something wrong happened because the condom was broken and I didn´t notice that until we finished.
I know that Ann always says that she is yet to see the insertive partner seroconverted after a condom breakage but I know that I´m going to be the first.
Six days after the incident I had fever; diarreah and I had pain under my arm ( enlarged lymph node I think), and I´ve lost more than 30 lb in three months. I know that it´s ars.
87 days ( 12 weeks and three days)  after that incident I went to a lab and made some tests:
An elisa which looks for p24 antygen and antibodies; and hep b,c and shyphilis tests. All were negative or non reactive but..........
Yes I know that while you read it you must be in your houses thinking I´m another crazy person who makes you lose your time but I have some questions I really nead you to answer me because I´m really convinced that I´m hiv positive and I´m going crazy and your answers will help me a lot:
1) I´ve read that there are posibilities of having obtained a false negative in my elisa test. What do you think about that?.
2) I have also readed that there are some hiv types or subtypes which cannot be detected by an elisa test . Is that true?. I´m convinced I could have one of those so my false negative.do you think in that case I should test myself with another kind of test like Pcr?.
3) Could I have obtained a false negative because I ate food and drank water before going to be tested?
4) 3 months and 2 weeks after the incident I have a lot of dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis ( especially in my forehead; and I had never had it before). If it was because of hiv don´t you think it´s too soon to developed it or it can be possible. Yes I know you don´t answer about symptoms but please answer me because I´m going crazy..... I´m losing a lot of skin of my forehead and it´s the first time in my life it happens to me.
5) Yes I know this is an specific hiv forum but I´ve read Ann sometimes answering things about hep b and it´s just a question. Do I have to retest again for hep b or 12 weeks and 3 days is enough time to reject the infection? Please Ann answer me that question.....
Well that´s all but please don´t think I´m crazy and please answer my questions because I´m convinced
I´m hiv positive and I don´t know what to do.
Thanks guys I´m waiting for your answers.......

Offline RapidRod

Re: could you help me? please.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:49:04 am »
You have a conclusive negative test result. HIV is NOT your issue.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 07:51:30 am »
No, you are not HIV positive. You have reliably tested negative after a relatively low level risk.

Stop practicing medicine on yourself without a license. It's bad for your health. Whatever is going on with you symptomtically has nothing to do with HIV. You to be discussing your symptoms with a doctor. We can't diagnose anything in this setting but we can tell you that you have reliably tested negative.

Good luck with finding out the real cause of your symptoms.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:54:51 am »
help,

1. False negatives only happen when a person has tested too soon. You tested at the appropriate time. You don't have hiv.

2. No it's not true. All subtypes will be picked up by the current antibody tests. You do not have hiv.

3. No way, no how.

4. So you've got dandruff. So what. There's a first time for everything. You do NOT have hiv, so whatever is causing your skin problems has nothing to do with hiv. Show your flaky self to your doctor.

5. You've tested conclusively negative for everything you tested for. Guess what? You don't have hiv, syphilis or hepatitis.

Don't think for a minute you'll be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about how you're convinced you have hiv. You don't. And yes, we're convinced of that. Work with your doctor to find out what, if anything, is wrong with you. You have conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture. Lucky you!

And by the way, make sure you read all three condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used and stored condom rarely breaks. And make sure you use them with EVERYONE, not just sex workers. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:45:51 pm »
Please............ my last question because I´m going crazy. If the ELISA TEST I did is only for HIV1 Do I need to retest with another test which is for HIV1 AND 2?????. What I mean is: I could have a false negative if I am infected with Hiv 2 because my test can´t detet the antibodies of that type of virus and only can detect Hiv 1 antibodies. Consider that I´m from Spain and here Hiv 2 is more common than in USA ( a lot of people from Africa have been coming during the last years to my country Spain).
I´m convinced that it is what happened to me because my symptoms can only be related to HIV and if it is not HIV 1 it must be HIV2 ( I´m pretty sure).
Sorry I don´t want to come and go everytime to the forum but what I ask you is a real possibility.
Thank you Ann; Andy and Rapid for having answered my previous questions.
But please answer me ............. I don´t know what to think.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:01 am »
help,

No, it is not a very real possibility as hiv2 is NOT common is Spain. As of February 2007, there were only 152 cases. source

You do not need to test again. Most hiv antibody tests now tests for both hiv1 and 2. Also, hiv2 is even more difficult to transmit than hiv1 - this is a reason hiv2 is not more prevalent world-wide. You were never likely to end up hiv positive over a condom break with hiv1, and you are even less likely to end up positive due to hiv2.

You do NOT have hiv and it's time you moved on, remembering to use condoms correctly  and consistently. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

Ann

edited to fix broken link
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:38:29 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 09:25:09 am »
Thanks Ann; but now I´m going crazy.
I´ve read that HIV 1 subtypes O and N and Hiv 2 can´t be detected by the test  I did myself (an elisa test which looks for antibodies and antygen p24) and I´ve had all those symptoms...........
Just please tell me which test I have to do if I want to descart a Hiv infection ( all types 1 and 2 and all subtypes including O ad N).
Is an elisa test enough or should i try a westen blog or a PCR????
Why is so complicated to look for this virus...
I don´t know what to do..
It´s so unfair; when I though I was HIV-free all these doubts come to me and I don´t know the solution.
I can´t stop crying............ I´m seeing that I´m an strange case.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 10:07:47 am »
help,

A Western Blot is only used when the standard antibody test is positive. Yours wasn't. PCR testing is not approved for diagnostic purposes. You do not need PCR testing.

I don't know where you're getting your misinformation from, but the tests used today WILL detect hiv in the subtypes you're concerned about. One that also tests for the p24 antigen will most certainly test for all the types and subtypes.

What do you mean you "tested yourself"? Why don't you just go to a hospital or reputable clinic and test again? There is no doubt in MY mind that you do NOT have hiv, but if you need another test to ease your mind, then do it and get it over with. Go to the hiv organisation database at aidsmap.com and find a testing center near you.

You're already conclusive hiv negative over a situation where you were never likely to test positive for anyway. If you don't feel well, go see a doctor. Whatever is going on has NOTHING to do with hiv. You don't have hiv.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to continually question your conclusive negative results. YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:38 am »
Thank you very much Ann for your patience helping me. Thank you very much from my heart ¡¡¡¡¡
As I told you before what worries me is that 6 days after the incident I had 38.5 º C of fever during a middle day and pain under my arm ( enlarged lymph node ) what made me think that I had ARS. And now 3 months and a half after the incident i´ve developed dermatitis in my face what never had happened to me before (I don´t know if that is because of HIV although I think it would be too soon to develop it or because stress; that´s my doubt).
I´ve obtained all that information in the web thebody reading Dr. Bob  Franscino answers to other people and that has made think a lot about new types and subtypes............
Crazy not.
Anyway I will test again next week and I will inform you.
Thank you again¡¡¡¡¡¡  You can´t imagine how helpfull you are for us in this moments ( you are our confident; our special friend) even you must be thinking we are crazy people.
Thank you.
Hoping not having obtained a false negative because of other types or subtypes I will test again.
Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 10:53:45 am »
Discuss those "symptoms" with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

You will certainly test negative again next week.
Andy Velez

OSCAR WILDE
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 06:47:17 pm »
Ey guys as I told you I tested again and as you had said to me I tested again non reactive or negative. So I have to go on with my life again  after five months without being able to live because of my fears.
But I wouldn´t like to leave without telling you thanks because of your help; not only answering my questions but also having this great web which gives us an enourmous support in our bad moments.
During this bad time I don´t know what I could have done without this web because it has helped me to understand this terrible disease; how it is transmitted or which where my chances of having been infected after  my incident. It also helped  me to obtain peace of mind reading stories similar to mine where the results were non reactives. And I also want to thank to other members who wrote to my pm trying to help me.
You guys are great people.You will always be in my prayers. I wish you all the best in your lives.
I hope that in other bad moments I could have in my life I could meet people like you who help people without any interest. We both know that nowadays that is very difficult so your Greatness.
So I want to thank to all of you who make possible this place.
And as I love reading ( what I haven´t been able to do during this time becaus of my fears) I would like to leave from here writting something that Oscar wilde wrote and what I think that describes this place and the persons who are part of this site.
¨WHERE THERE IS SORROW THERE IS HOLY GROUND¨.
THANK YOU GUYS; FROM  A GUY IN SPAIN.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:17:14 pm »
Help,

You're welcome. Now it's time to move on with your life, remembering to use condoms correctly and consistently. Do this and you will continue to avoid hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.