Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:25:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 622
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My AARP Card  (Read 5675 times)

Offline morethenhiv@gmail.com

My AARP Card
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:26:41 pm »
My AARP Card

A personal milestone arrived mixed in with the junk mail. My AARP card. To others it might be tossed aside but to me it was a validation of 50 years of life. While everyone I know who has, or is about to turn 50 wont admit it or cursed the day. I choose to celebrate it. After all having AIDS and staying as healthy as you can takes some work and stick-to-itivness. To think back in 1994 being in the hospital with PCP, thrush and 11 T-cells all the experts gave me 6 months to a year tops and I’m still here.
  What I’ve learned is usually by the time a person reaches 50 he/she has gone through some hard knocks tethered by life’s obstacle-course both physically and emotionally. So there is always some common ground where people can relate to each other. Although HIV/AIDS has a distinction with a stigma and medical complications and I have gone though my share of these but for me reaching 50 means I got though it and have no intention of stopping now.
  Make no mistake; I will fight getting old all the way. I will use the hair dye, the age creams, and the vitamins. I will dress as cool as my wallet will let me, sing and dance as long as the music moves me. So I’ll send a note with my membership fee that there are more of us HIVers coming.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: My AARP Card
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 04:08:44 pm »
Hey morethanhiv,

I received my AARP card a few years ago. I love it. I never thought I would live to get one.

I found 50 to be a watershed year for me. I dropped all the keeping up the youth type stuff, well, for the most part,  ;), and started enjoying the skin I am in.

Oh, before I forget, welcome aboard. Glad you have joined in.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:30 pm »
 Thanks Mark, I know what you mean. At this age I don't feel I have to impress anyone and I'm not afraid of little mistakes.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:20:18 pm »
Hi morethenhiv,

Welcome. I stopped dying my hair because the gray fought back.  :D  The color wouldn't stay anymore. It would wash out by the third shampoo.

I have my AARP card too, but have not used it yet. Maybe, when I get approved for Medicare.

Ron~
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
Hey Ron, I know what you mean. The gray is like the strongest tribe. while your hair gets grayer the dye gets weaker. When you get medicare ( I get ssdi) you'll be able to use it in some insurance circles but I don't know if it will save you any thing. TH

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »
Hi TH,

I am trying to persuade my sister to stop coloring her hair. It is a hard decision to make. Those roots just scare me, but I finally stopped coloring three years ago. Hey, sometimes, in the right light, it passes for blond  ::)

She won't hear none of it....

I'm waiting on SSDI ...the judge has made the determination, but won't give the verdict over the phone.>:(   waiting on 'snail mail'     

My next milestone/daydream is to take a trip to New York. I have been just about everywhere else.  ::)

I think AARP has a travel service.. :D

Ron~

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline mjmel

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 01:13:14 am »
AARP CARD
Have had mine for 8 yrs now......it got me a discounted price hotel here and there..(AAA does same)...but mostly it generates a ton of junk mail: insurance offers I don't want or can't qualify for.  I'm not renewing after my membership expires in July 09. Then, I guess what follows will be 2 tons of offers to rejoin.

Mike

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 10:26:56 am »
Hey Mike you got that right  ..I get at least two a week ,offers to rejoin, and more offers of insurance I cant qualify for...directly to the shredder ..don't even open them..I used to put them all in one of the "return" envelopes and mail them back but my postman asked me not do that..it just makes his job harder...so into the shredder then into the recycle bin..

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.