Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:04:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 504
Total: 506

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: sociopathic behaviour, please help  (Read 3754 times)

Offline srmn98

sociopathic behaviour, please help
« on: November 07, 2006, 02:57:39 am »
Hello All,

I need some good, solid, rational advice. Here is an abbreviated version of my story:

I found out about my HIV status about a month ago. I have been handling things fairly well and am adjusting to this new life. I disclosed to my ex-boyfriend immediately. Because he had admitted to cheating, I thought he was the source. He claims he was tested and that he is negative. He even showed me his test results, whether they were real or not I have no idea. In my gut, I do not believe that he is negative as I used condoms with ALL of my previous partners in the last 7 years.

At first, he tried to be supportive of me. He asked me to get back together with him. I had coffee with him a few times while in crisis mode of finding all of this out. That is about it. After a year of his lying and cheating, I knew I could never go back to him. I took a road trip this weekend and had my phone turned off. When I turned it back on, there were 9 text messages from him, each one crazier than the previous. Not concerned messages, but rather hurtful ones.

Next came an email, accusing me of making this "whole HIV" thing up. He asked what kind of person would do that. He asked how could I do this to him (ignore him) when he was there for me.

I talked to my therapist and decided that I wanted no more to do with him.

I told him today, via email, that I wanted no more contact with him. It was a brief email and not intended to be hurtful, just straight and to the point.

His reaction:  He again accused me of making "the whole HIV thing up." He threatened to tell my parents and family about my "lie."  His exact words, in a text message, were: "Wonder what your parents and friends will think about your 'lie.' ? "

Please help me with how to deal with this. I don't think I have to explain how messed up this is. Do I have any legal recourse ? How do I protect myself, and more importantly, my parents ? I have not told many people yet and am not ready to disclose beyond a few select people. I am most concerned that he would tell my parents.  I want no more contact with this man who clearly has no conscience.

Thank you in advance,

s

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:23:10 am by srmn98 »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
Re: sociopathic behaviour, please help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:49:37 am »
There's not much you can do about it...other than what you've already done. Should this situation continue
however you might want to take out a restraining order against him...to protect yourself and family members.
It sounds like he's in denial about your diagnosis.....or perhaps he's just feeling guilty either way I would take
steps to protect myself (as much as possible anyway)...My two cents worth!
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 03:59:30 am »
S,

I never give advice, but I would suggest that in order to protect yourself you cut off all contact with this person. No exceptions.

In order to "protect" your parents, you may have to tell them what is true, and hope for the best. It may be painful to do, but from what you wrote I don't see that you have any other options. I hope it works out.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:04 am »
Hi S.  Thanks for posting your situation.  Here are a few comments from me which, I hope, will be useful.  First, if you are just a month into being hiv positive, try to make room for further, often emotional, adjustments.  You may need to allow yourself, in other words, to have a bad moment or a bad day in which you may not, right then, feel in control and balanced.  It's normal.  You will find it all over this forum, thankfully. 

Second, your relationship with your ex-boyfriend is a factor to work through having nothing to do with your testing hiv positive.  He cheated on you.  There had been a year of his cheating and lying on and to you.  So anyone in your situation with someone like this is going to need time to get relationship thinking back to square one, when you no longer look at someone as a potential cheater and liar.  And I don't mean, understand, that you should ever think about getting back together with him.  It's just that this piece of your history is going to factor on your future. 

Third, you have the mystery of how you got infected with hiv in the first place and, as others will post, you may never get a clear answer to this.  It may have been your ex-boyfriend.  It may have been someone else.  Condoms are not perfect and, thanks again to information on this website, it is possible to use a condom and still become infected but we would have to get into each and every sexual encounter to see if and when there might have been an opening in them.  Or something which happened which you thought didn't/couldn't transmit the virus as so didn't use a condom.  So this is a third thing to work through: perhaps never knowing who infected you and never being able to place blame except back on yourself which, as posts here will show you, isn't an answer either.

Fourth, your ex's reaction to your being out-of-contact over the weekend suggests that he is a factor you will need to deal with, unfortunately.  It's possible that he is in a panic himself and that he is trying to flip it around to being caused by you and not by him, an easy way of twisting things around.  You were his boyfriend and I am fairly sure that you may have seen this behavior in him in the past: blame others, never yourself.  (As in you made me cheat, not I cheated.) And part of me is wondering if your rejection of him, your taking control of your situation, is causing him his reaction since, in the past, I assume that he misbehaved and was allowed back?  So when it seems as though you are taking control and pushing him out, he is taking this extreme reaction. 

Fifth, you have done what you need to do, calmly and simply telling him that he is part of your past and not part of your future.  Congratulations!  But what neither you nor your therapist or even the police can control absolutely is what he will do.  Will he contact other people in your life?  A counselor for a woman in a battered women project here in MA was told, for example, to not place a restraining order on a homeless guy who was harassing her because, in her estimation, it could escalate the situation.  I thought about this at the time and came to agree with this.  In your case, I would see if you can simply play deaf.  Don't hear the phone.  Let voicemail pick up.  Don't read your email.  Don't read your mail.  Don't answer your door.  If you can afford to do so, change your phone number and make it unlisted.  Ditto your email address.  Get away each weekend if you can to take the pressure off.  Think about work.  Are you certain that he can't show up there?  Try, in short, to close the door on him without slamming it.

Ironically, he, too, perhaps for the first time in his life, has to respond to something which he can't control.  And if he has had little experience with such situations, it may take him some time to figure out how to respond.  With hope that some of this is helpful.  Win

Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline srmn98

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 01:12:06 am »
Thanks for your responses. It helps so much to have a community like this.

Win, you are absolutely correct. Thank you for your well thought out words. I'm taking it one day at a time -- luckily I have NOT heard from him today. Hopefully this will continue tomorrow and so forth.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am a small business owner -- so long as I continue with my business, my contact information is public. On the plus side, since I am self-employed, my boss won't fire me if my crazy ex shows up. :) 

sara

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 01:34:15 am »
Hi Sara,

I went through a couple of years in a physically abusive relationship directly following my AIDS diagnosis.  I could make up any number of excuses for having a black eye or fractured ribs.  It was so much easier to say, "I was skiing at Big Bear and fell into a tree".  No one wants to hear, "I was shoved down a flight of stairs because I wouldn't sign my disability check".  Put some distance between yourself and the former BF.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 01:36:02 am »
You did the right thing, all you need now is to stay the course.
I wish you luck, hiv is already hard enough
without this kind of poisonous
energy suckers.

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 11:06:33 am »
I totally think that he’s trying to throw you off by putting the blame back on you.  If he’s been positive for awhile and has known it, he’s also probably aware of many of the lawsuits in the recent year that have gone against the infector.  I really think he’s bluffing in saying he’ll tell your parents b/c it again, throws you off.  What benefit would he have in doing such a thing?  I’d keep the silence and try not to worry about it in the mean time.  If he re-starts the communication, then make it clear to him (again) that you’re looking to move on and are not interested in placing blame. 

This of course is just my opinion…  Keep us updated!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 04:35:21 pm »
Hey Srmn98,

In this situation you will want to find out the "root" or "cause" of his behavior, identify it with him, gain an understanding with him and put "closure" on it with him.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.