Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 425
Total: 425

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 11-year-old boy committed suicide after enduring daily anti-gay bullying  (Read 4110 times)

Offline emeraldize

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I also read about this today. Very sad indeed.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
it happens a lot of times in a lot of places and it's always very sad  :'(
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/story?id=7228335&page=1

the parents of one ohio teen have filed a federal lawsuit
The parents aren't seeking any compensation; rather, they are asking that Mentor High School recognize their son's death as a "bullicide" and put in place what they believe is a badly needed anti-bullying program.

Parents Say Three Other Students Killed Themselves
The Mohats also claim that bullying was a "significant factor" in the deaths of three other students in Eric Mohat's class in 2007.

Mentor high school officials confirmed that a girl and two other boys in Eric's class had killed themselves in 2007.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
My heart goes to the family and all who have endured such things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
My deepest condolences to all the victim's families of such vicious bullying crimes. I always believe that the bigger problems lies with the authorities. If the school establishments ran a disciplined no nonsense outfit, these heinous behaviors would not surface. If proper education were highlighted that ragging nor bullying will not be tolerated in any forms at schools, and that will lead to expulsion with even prosecution for serious cases, bullies will think twice. Sadly, when the school board is dictated with money politics (too much controlling vs lack of & not having support), extremes like these can happen. :-\
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Another reason why so many families I know are home schooling their children.

Offline Dennis

This is actually a  bigger problem than one might think. The Broward School Board has taken a large stance on bullying in the schools. However, many teachers, counselors, and administrators are unfamiliar with how to deal with sexual diversity (real or perceived) within the school.

My oral presentation next Friday in my Teaching Diverse Populations class is going to be on this very topic.

Dennis

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 01:56:52 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Snowangel

This is on Oprah today.

It really hits close to home, not only because one of the boys lived in our town and played against my son for football, but my son has gotten picked on as well.  Thankfully, one of his teachers saw what was going on, let me know and his therapist has helped him through it.  For some reason, he didn't believe me and had to hear it from someone else, but whatever works.

I had to speak to one of the teachers at school yesterday because two days in a row, I heard an older brother, picking on his younger sister when he was picking her up after school and walking to the car.  The viciousness I heard in his voice was frightening.

One of the people Oprah had on, had a good point.  Most of the teachers focus on the testing materials and that is it.  I have noticed that a lot of the kids have no manners whats so ever, please and Thank you, is almost non-exsistent. The bullying is being ignored by the schools and by the parents of the kids who are bullies, if they even find out about it.

I got cornered in the bathroom in high school for not curling my hair, looks like things are getting worse instead of better. 

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.