Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:31:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 472
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Profile info/just a thought on the age thing  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

Profile info/just a thought on the age thing
« on: June 29, 2006, 05:01:18 am »
I noticed that most people don't put there age or location on their profile. I think the reason for this may be that when you go to put in that info, you are asked to put in your birthday. I don't think many of us would want to that for security and fraud reasons. However, if it simply asked for you age, maybe more of us would put it in there(?) Just a thought. When I post a response, I feel that if I knew the age/location of the person would be most helpful. My response would be different if I knew the person is 18 vs. say, 40. Just a thought.
Positive since 1985

Offline kcmetroman

Re: Profile info/just a thought on the age thing
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 07:23:37 am »
That's fine if you want to stay 40 forever.  The birthday is used to track truthfully someones age, I guess. 

Jeffry, I notice that you don't practice what you preach. 

The thing that irks me is when people put other peoples pictures as their avatar.

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 09:58:36 am »
Guess I really never noticed that but I don't care about sharing my age,it's just another fact of life.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:13:59 am »
kc: based on what jeffrey wrote about fraud/security, .......drum roll please.....he's probably apprehensive

does a bear crap in the forest?

Offline ademas

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:23:21 am »
I work part-time for a credit union, and that's exactly why I don't post my birthdate online.
There's only a handful of qualifiers we use to confirm a person's identity over the phone, and birthdate is one of them.
And I must come clean about my avatar.  It's not me.
xox

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:48:35 am »
With my having grown up in the “Don’t trust anyone over thirty generation.” I could care less about anyone's age. I’m not here in this forum to get laid (at least not today) I’m here for the information and the camaraderie with persons from all walks of life and from all over the world who share the same situation in health and living with HIV/AIDS matters as I do.

I guess I could say from Jaser (the youngest) to myself and a few other of the “way over forty crowd.”

What I’d really like to know is what happens to Gay people after they reach forty that seems to make them so undesirable? It didn’t happen to me. I still have to beat them off with a stick. Or is it that I chase them with a stick? HeHeHe! Senior moment!  ;D

Terry

Offline PDXRon31

• PML Survivors & Supporters
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:05:49 pm »
I'm 31 from Portland, Oregon. So what's it to ya???  ;D
Diagnosed with HIV in 2000
Diagnosed with PML in 2005
Diagnosed with Fabulosity at birth

Current treatments: Sustiva, Combivir, K-PAX supplements, and Myelin Sheath Support.
Last labs: September 2006
CD4 507 VL Undetectable

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 12:17:01 pm »

........"or is that I chase them with a stick?" So that's what they are calling walkers these days. Am I senile? Didn't we just go through the "how old are you" thread a couple of weeks ago? Do you have to keep reminding how old I am? God damnit you kids get off my lawn!

Methusala >:(

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:52:58 pm »
My theory is through my observation of gay men, most of them tend to put an emphasis on youth = beauty = desirable. Apparently, once youth goes, the other two go as well. I've personally never subscribed to that method of thinking, but I've noticed it.

side note: I was shocked yesterday when I saw how old Jaser is. I thought, "Oh my god. That's got to be REALLY hard."

Back to Birthday Posting:

My opinion is that there are other more important numbers that you're not being asked to put in your profile. The birthday really isn't going to hurt.
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 02:48:41 pm »
If they put AGE in the profile info I predict a large # of 69 year olds.
I know how people are.

Lwood,
who stopped counting at 19, because he ran out of digits.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 03:04:44 pm »
My theory is through my observation of gay men, most of them tend to put an emphasis on youth = beauty = desirable. Apparently, once youth goes, the other two go as well.
True for straight men too.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 11:59:24 am »
And I must come clean about my avatar.  It's not me.

:D  :D  LOL! THANK GOD!  :D  :D

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 02:38:41 pm »
20 year old female, northern Michigan.

there you go!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 06:05:16 pm »
Just as long as your write to me as if I were a five year old, works for me... :D

Offline allanq

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 06:32:59 pm »
It would be nice if you could enter the month/day part of your birthdate separate from the year. People who want to reveal their age but not their actual date of birth could fill in just the year. People who wanted others to know when their birthday was, but not their age, could fill in just the month/day.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 07:41:19 pm by allanq »

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 02:35:10 am »
Allang...thanks you hit the nail on the head. That is the logical solution.Thanks , as always interesting input.
Positive since 1985

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 06:15:21 am »
Jeff,

The only reason the software asks for your birthdate is so it can be automatically updated. Nobody can see your birthdate, it is translated into your age. Not even us moderators can see your birthdate - so for all you nervous nellies out there... feel free to enter your birthdate in the knowledge that only your age will show in your profile.

And dats the troof. Pffft. :P

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline BB

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 08:38:37 am »
Hold everything for one minuet. Identity theft is very profitable and I bet any decent hacker could slip into the data base at aidsmeds and abscond with any info desired.

Some time ago we had a flurry of questions about personal info spread out over several posts. Many people caught on and made mention of this fact along with a warning to everyone who posts on this site. Now we are going to put sensitive info into a system, publicly displayed or not, that probably isn't as secure as on line banking.

Why take the risk?!

I would not mind putting out some vague info about myself or even some very specific info, like the most recent picture of me that I use as my avatar!  ;D  But, I really don't like someone keeping some very specific info about me on a web site that isn't secure, locked, hacker safe, whatever the term used. Most personal info is probably out there anyway, but why make things easier for some jerk hacker criminal!

Just say'en

BB 

And no, I'm not afraid of my own shadow, some other person's shadow maybe, but not mine!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:40:15 am by BB »
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 08:50:55 am »

Anybody want to steal my identity? They're quite welcome to my bills and the £1.50 I have in my bank account at the moment. :D

Seriously though, I don't have a clue about hacker issues, but I wouldn't think that an hiv website would be any hacker's first choice for lucrative pickings. After all, they want a payout for their efforts. I suppose for those of you who actually have bank balances worth nicking, maybe you should be more cautious.

Or am I being incredibly naive and financially flabbergasted?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.