Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:53:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 470
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 5049 times)

Offline johnybravo

Need Advice
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »
Hello,

I am from Asia and have been living and working in USA since one year, I met a girl of unknown status(I never dated anyone else or had sex with) last year and dated her for about 2 months. Here are my risks:

1. Extensive oral sex plus fingering with broken skin and cut just below my nails. Extensive open mouth kissing.
2. Extensive rubbing with and "Without cloths" with vaginal fluids on my pubic area.
3. 3 sessions of overall protected penetrative sex. I mentioned overall because first time when we started she was over me and my penis went into her vagina for 2-3 seconds, I realized the danger and pulled out immediately and insisted for condom. She put a condom on and we continued.

I broke up with her in May this year and went back to home in July where I got married. During this time I did not care about any danger and did not have any significant symptoms. In first 2 days of our marriage, I had oral sex with my wife and not penetrative. I also had protected sex with her in first week. She got a papule like rash after a week on her back and swallon lymph nodes in neck after a month or so which are still there.

I came back to States and got busy in my work. In first week of Sept, I started having following symptoms:

1. It all started with an almost fainting session with heavy sweating one day when I was going home. I smoked alot that day and didnt sleep the previous night so kind a ignored it.
2. Started having headache and neck pain after a week of the above incident
3. My Tinea Versicolor(i have it since 2 years) is spreading fastly and towards my genitals
4. Since 2 days I have this white tongue and upper gums(oral thrush may be?)
5. Joint and muscle pain with muscle weakness since around a month

I went to my GP for a medical checkup in first week of Sept because of that fainting incident and he did a CBC which was normal except high cholestrol and very  lipids. I had elevated Lymphocytes but I compared it with my last year's CBC and the number was exactly the same.

Anyhow, I read somewhere about HIV and the game started, I red and read and read and connected all pieces together spl symptoms my wife is experiencing. I was scared to be tested but last week(about 5.5 months post exposure) I went for a rapid Oral swab test and it came back negative. I came out of the clinic relieved but soon realized that the nurse did not swabbed it correctly means completeley across my upper and lower gums. I decided to go for a blood test and found a clinic in the city. Went there they told me it was an ELISA antibody test would get my result in 35 minutes. The result came back negative. I got releived and came out of the clinic while walking home I checked the specimen number mentioned on my print out was different(off by one number), I went back to the clinic and they assured me that it was a human error and showed me th results in their system with correct number and name so it was a relief. The print out said that I was tested negative for HIV-1 antibody using ELISA. The charges were 95$. Here are my questions:

1. What do you think about my exposure if she was indeed positive(I later heard she was sleeping wkith multiple partners)?
2. Do you think it's possible that God forbid I had infected my wife and she got the rash in just a week?
3. Is rubbing without cloths against vaginal fluids a risk?
4. After my testing experience, do you recommend another test?
5. Do they really have rapid ELISA tests?
6. Is it possible that I am seroconverting now after almost 6 months? What is an impaired immune system?
7. Printout said HIV-1 antibody so do I need to test for HIV-2 as well?

I am really sorry for a long post but I dont know how to explain the whole story.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Offline RapidRod

Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:04 pm »
Nothing you have brought to this form was a risk of HIV transmission.

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »
Thanks Rodney but don't you think I had an exposure for some seconds and then vaginal fluids? Can you please check my other questions, I will appreciate it. Also, Can I please get Ann and Andy's opinion here. I don't want to stick around but just need some proper analysis.

Thanks again

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »
2 secs?  about 5.5 months post exposure) I went for a rapid Oral swab test and it came back negative.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:09:22 pm by RapidRod »

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:51 pm »
Yes for 2-3 seconds but there was extensive rubbing of genitals without cloths and with fluids.
I read about late seroconversion in the Internet so that's why need some advice.
Andy/Ann - Whenever you get a chance, please read my post.

Thanks Rodney!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:27:11 pm »
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

Here are the ways HIV is transmitted;
Unprotected penetrative anal or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 08:32:43 am »
Jon,

Nothing you report was a risk for hiv infection. Kissing is not a risk and neither is oral sex.

The rubbing you refer to is called frottage and frottage is not a risk for hiv infection.

You have tested conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv and you have not passed it on to your wife. If you or your wife feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

You do not have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:30 am »
Ann- thank you. Much appreciated. I did have unprotective sex for some seconds, do you think its a valid exposure? this is a last question.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:42 am »
Jon,

Yes, unprotected insertive vaginal intercourse is a risk, but on the low side.

However, you have tested conclusively hiv negative. The window period for hiv testing is three months and you tested negative at five and a half months. You do not have hiv, regardless of how much risk you were at.

You do NOT have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 09:36:40 pm »
Thank you Ann. Speaking of the test, My ELISA antibody test result said HIV-1 antibody. Should I go for a specific HIV-2 antibody test as well?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 09:07:19 am »
Jon,

No. You do not need further testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:47:55 am »
I didn't want to return but all these symptoms are killing me. I have a weak immune system and a month ago doctor gave me some steroid medications for bronchitis. Do you think it can affect antibody production? I read that weak immune system can delay seroconversion.

I just want to move on with my life.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 11:03:51 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 11:09:02 am »
Jon,

No. You do not need further testing.

Ann

Discuss your concerns with your doctor. This is not an HIV situation. There is nothing more we can do for you here.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 11:09:47 am »
Jon,

You tested at five and a half months and that is more than sufficient. The only people who MIGHT take a bit longer than three months to seroconvert and test positive are those on chemotherapy for cancer, on anti-rejection drugs following organ transplant, or those who have been injecting street drugs, every day, for YEARS. Even these people will normally test positive within the normal three month window.

You are conclusively hiv negative.

You do NOT have hiv.

If you feel unwell, see a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!!

Please heed Rodney's warning. You WILL be given a time out if you don't give this up and get on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 05:30:58 pm »
Thank you

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:04:29 am »
I know you guys will hate me for this but I don't have anyone to go to. Please just answer one question regarding testing. Is there an Elisa test which can give result in 30 minutes? I only read that ELisa takes few days to weeks. My test was done using blood out of my veins and I was given the result onsite in 30 minutes. I just ask kuz then I start looking for another test.

Please do not give me the ban, I won't bother again.

Thank you and love you guys.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:05 am »
The Oraquick is an approved test. You continue to worry needlessly.

And we don't "hate you." We're just not willing to indulge you in an endless dialogue when we know that you are worrying needlessly.

If you come back with more of this handwringing, you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out.

Happily HIV is not your problem. Cut out the drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline johnybravo

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:20:00 am »
Andy- Thanks alot, so you are not aware of any Elisa test which can give results in 30 minutes?
FYI...I had two tests Orasure(oral swab) and ELiSA, my question is regarding Elisa as they told me it was an elisa test. I know abt oral test, it was not done correctly that's why I went for the blood test.

Hope you underhand what I'm trying to ask.

Thanks again

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 09:32:01 am »
Jon,

Yes, some of the rapid tests using blood are elisas.

You are missing the most important point in all of this. YOU DID NOT HAVE A RISK FOR HIV INFECTION.

You do NOT have hiv!!!

I'm giving you that Time Out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.