Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:04:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 342
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Risky sex  (Read 4298 times)

Offline msekt

• MA Student London
Risky sex
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:28:07 am »
Hey, does anyone feel that the increased advertising of HIV medication has made it easier to engage in risky sex? Kinda feel that HIV isn't all that anymore, as theres a lot of adverts with fit and healthy men on medication.

Thanks,

Matt
Best,

Student

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Risky sex
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:24:54 pm »
Hey, does anyone feel that the increased advertising of HIV medication has made it easier to engage in risky sex? Kinda feel that HIV isn't all that anymore, as theres a lot of adverts with fit and healthy men on medication.

Thanks,

Matt

I locked your thread you started some time ago and advised you to get permission before doing research on this forum . If you are HIV positive you are welcome to post in the forums as any other positive member, so please give us an introduction and tell us a little about yourself other than your research project. Are you living with HIV ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline msekt

• MA Student London
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 04:25:15 pm »
Sorry about that, wasn't sure how this page worked, and I tried to email the site as you locked my thread but unfortunately did not get a reply.

My name is Mathias and I live for the moment in London. I was diagnosed HIV positive last year when my then boyfriend of 5 years gave it to me, which was a horrible shock. Especially since I've always been very careful as well as terrified of ever catching something. The weird thing is that Ive almost felt liberated after catching the virus, and my life has been maybe better than before getting it.

Before and after my diagnosis I've always spent a lot of time researching HIV and subcultures surrounding it, hopefully ill be able to work with HIV social research in the future.
Best,

Student

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:30:39 pm »
Welcome to the forums . I look forward to hearing more from you, as a person living with HIV you have access to all parts of the forum. Now that you have posted 3 times you can send and receive personal messages.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:44:00 pm »
 HI welcome here.

Define your terms. What are you talking about and is it a concern?  Are you talking about how PREP and adverts about the miracles of HIV treatment for pozzies, may encourage HIV- to have non-safe sex.  Sure I think its agreed there has been an uptick in this for many years.   

But then again, people do risk analysis and figure "if I get it, it's one pill a day and manageable" and in some ways they are not wrong.

Also PREP has screwed with this dynamic so I guess we will wait and see how it shakes out.  It would be nice to see people who want to have unsafe sex go on PREP, and everyone is spared some new infections.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline msekt

• MA Student London
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 10:53:33 am »
Thank you!

Basically I am interested in looking into how advertising of HIV medication might affect the way we see HIV. For instance, in USA, direct to consumer advertising on prescription medication is legal. Thinking of small subcultures such as "bug-chasers" (men who would like to get HIV) and alike, could this be a result of advertising? Especially when the meds are advertised in the same way we advertise clothing...

Personally I certainly feel that it was not a massive deal once i got it, I REALLY didn't want to get it, but once it was done it wasn't all that. After going to a few group meeting for positive people I noticed a huge difference in my views on having it compared to men who were older than me (35+)
Best,

Student

Offline AusShep

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:58 pm »
The meds are advertised the same way nearly EVERYTHING is advertised, with attractive people. 

I don't think this has any impact at all on bug chasing to the extent that it actually exists.

IMO, the thinking it isn't such a big deal now is related to people not dying left and right and not being surrounded by people who look AIDSy as much any more in gay communities.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.