Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:49:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 470
Total: 474

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Thrush  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Ricket

Thrush
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:00:01 pm »
Hello everyone. First I'd like to say that I registered here as Ricket about a year and a half ago but when I signed in it said that screename didn't exist so I registered again. If I made a mistake or miss something just point me in the right direction. :)

Anyway, I got an HIV test a little over 2 years ago and have dated and been monogomous with one person for the last four years. However I went to the dentist yesterday and he sent me to an oral surgeon because he had what he believes to be thrush. Of course it worries me after looking it up on a couple different sites that thrush mainly happens with adults with weak immune systems. I have a few questions:

1. Is thrush uncommon in adults with healthy immune systems? Is thrush mostly only occuring in people that have HIV/AIDS or diabetes?

2. When HIV/AIDs patients develop thrush is there normally other symptoms or (as I read on a few sites) is this one of the first physical signs of HIV/AIDs?

I just don't know what to think because my doctor said he hardly ever saw thrush in his patients (he went so far as to say that he's been working since 1992 and has only seen three cases) and that scared me. Then when I got home and read that it's one of the main signs of HIV/AIDs I couldn't help but worry. Thank you for any advice or information that you all provide me, it's greatly appreciated.  :)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Thrush
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:04:16 pm »
Thrush is in fact a common infection in humans be they HIV positive or not. HIV positive people who have low CD4 counts are particularly prone to outbreaks of oral thrush, but this can happen to HIV negative people as well so chronic immune dysfunction is not always an issue.

Vaginal thrush is very common amongst HIV negative women.

These sorts of "symptoms" are therefore fairly meaningless when it comes to talking about HIV transmission. Rather particular risk behaviours are the key. Is there a particular risk factor you'd like to discuss with us?

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 09:55:06 pm »
Adding on to Matty's question, you mention you have been monogamous with someone for four years and that you tested negative two years ago. However, even in a monogamous situation, before dispensing with using condoms, both partners should get tested together to confirm their HIV negative status. Then there's no guessing about the issue.

If there is something we're missing here please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline Ricket

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:06:13 pm »
We have both been tested, he shortly before he met me and myself about two years after we met. We still use condoms though. My question is mainly just is it completely unheard of for healthy adults to contract thrush or should I go and have an HIV test. I know women get thrush and yeast infections normally but being a gay man it just worries me because I have no idea why my immune system would be weak. I don't see how I could have contracted the disease (since we both have been tested and use condoms) but my doctor made it seem like it was very rare and everywhere I read on the net said that thrush mostly only occurs in adults who suffer from diabetes or HIV/AIDs.  :-\ I don't go to the oral surgeon until the 19th and my imagination and pessimistic attitude is getting the best of me and I just remembered from before when I came here you guys give straight answers and don't screw around and that's what I need right now.

My second question is if it was HIV/AIDs that caused this thrush to occur, would I have more than likely developed other symptoms too? This second part of the question is more my just being curious because I am not very aware of the progression of AIDs and what effects it has on the body.

Anyway, once again, thank you for your help and any responses or information you all give me. It's very much appreciated. :)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:16:38 pm »
Ricket,

Rather than speculate about disease progression and what may be the underlying cause of your thrush, why don't you (and your partner) just go and have a HIV antibody test?

MtD

Offline Ricket

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »
Ricket,

Rather than speculate about disease progression and what may be the underlying cause of your thrush, why don't you (and your partner) just go and have a HIV antibody test?

MtD
Yeah, you are right. I think I'm going to go tomorrow and just put the questioning to rest.

Anyway, the one question I do have is the one about thrush occuring with other symptoms. Do most people with HIV/AIDs just have thrush early on with no other symptoms, or does it occur simultaneously with other symptoms.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:58:10 pm »
Ricket,

Anyone can get candidiasis at anytime for a variety of reasons. Immune dysfunction is just one of them. Now, no matter how you try and ask this question, our answer to you will not change. Symptoms are not an effective method of determining if you've been infected with HIV. Only identifying risk behaviours and testing at the appropriate time can help you with that.

We don't do the symptom thing here and we're not going to start for you.

If you or your doctor have reason to believe you may have been exposed to HIV or if you're just not sure, you should arrange to have an HIV antibody test performed.

Ya dig?

MtD

Offline Ricket

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:41:20 am »

Offline Ricket

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:32 pm »
Hey everybody. Long time since I've come here, hope you all are doing well. Anyway so I had sex with a guy the other night, wore a condom as I topped him. I laid on my back and he straddled me (Not sure if that is relevant to my upcoming question or not). Only afterward did he reveal that he was HIV+. I know I wore a condom and I can't get tested for three months but I'm going crazy thinking about all the what ifs of the condom breaking and such. I am just curious if some of the things I've read about it being much harder for a bottom to give it to a top is true??? If the condom did break is it still a low chance that I could have been infected? I know I wont know for sure till I get tested but any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »
Thank you for returning to your orginal thread.

If the condom would have failed you would have known without a doubt.  You were never at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Ricket

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:33 pm »
Thank you for returning to your orginal thread.

If the condom would have failed you would have known without a doubt.  You were never at risk of contracting HIV.
No problem. Sorry that I didn't do it originally. :)

Well, I'll be honest, this was the first time I've ever topped before and I was a little intoxicated......how would I have known? Like would I have felt something?? He was completely sober though and I asked him a bunch of times and he assured me the condom did not break and he would never put me at risk but I still don't understand how I would know??? Sorry that I'm asking 1,000 questions I just know the next three months will be hell if I can't put my mind at ease, haha.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:29:14 pm by Ricket »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 05:36:40 pm »
How did you remove the condom?

Offline Ricket

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »
How did you remove the condom?

He took it off of me.

Offline Ricket

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 06:40:55 pm »
by the way, I don't know if this matters at all but I also did not ejaculate. I could see if the condom broke and I came and it came into contact with a tear or something his cells (??) or whatever it is could have came into contact with my semen and then entered my penis, right? But I did not ejaculate so...... I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm talking about and I know you guys do so I'd just like to hear your input. Regardless I'm getting tested at the three month mark but I'd GREATLY appreciate any info about bottom to top infections and the such......I've read it's low risk and many people with HIV+ partners even top bareback because the infection rate is so low but I never know what to believe on the internet. Once again any help is greatly appreciated. I know wearing the condom makes all this worrying silly but I can't help but want to get all the info I can.  :P

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 06:44:37 pm »
Those are couples who are both positive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:28 am »
Ricket,

It's sheer folly to believe that a top cannot get infected through UNPROTECTED anal or vaginal intercourse.

That said, you used a condom. If the condom had broken, you would have known. It's VERY obvious.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Keep using those condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ricket

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
I was reading through the lessons once again and have a question.

Quote from:  link=topic=19662.msg293201#msg293201 date=1221220228
At least eight studies conducted over the years were unable to demonstrate a clear link between insertive anal sex and a risk for HIV infection among MSM.

I don't mean to sound ignorant but what exactly does this mean??? That most of the studies conducted did not see the partner performing insertive anal sex acquire the virus? Or simply that enough research hasn't been done and it is not clear whether or not insertive anal sex can lead to HIV infection? Were any of these studies anything like the ones mentioned in the oral sex section where they discussed how no HIV positive men had passed on the virus to their HIV negative partners when having unprotected oral sex? Are any of these studies available online?

Also, is kissing risky if the HIV positive person has their tongue pierced?? I know this is probably a silly question because I know the mouth is a terrible place for the virus I just figured I'd ask because the guy I slept with does have a pierced tongue. It wasn't recently pierced though.....which is what I'm assuming might have made it a risk had it been recent.

Once again thank you for all your help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 07:23:11 am »
Ricket,

It would be helpful if you'd put the quote in a more complete context:

At least eight studies conducted over the years were unable to demonstrate a clear link between insertive anal sex and a risk for HIV infection among MSM. However, these studies should not be interpreted to mean that being the top during anal intercourse – and not using a condom – is without risk. We know that men can be infected with HIV through vaginal intercourse – an activity in which they are the insertive partner. Based on this knowledge, it is also believed that the insertive partner during unprotected anal intercourse can also be infected with HIV.

I don't get why you're going on about all this. You topped with a condom. It doesn't matter if you came or not, the condom protected BOTH of you.

I also don't get why you seem to want to have us say you can top bareback. Well, you can if you want to, but only if you also want to end up hiv positive. I know plenty of men who thought they could top bareback and get away with it. I see them here in the Living forum and also at my HIV clinic. Wise up and keep using condoms.

You ask about studies online, but unless a person knows how to read the studies, chaos will ensue. If you cannot understand the simple language in which our lessons are written, I don't hold out much hope of you making heads or tails of the complex and convoluted language of study papers. Sorry.

And yes, the kissing question is pretty silly. How many times have you read in these forums that kissing, no matter what sort of spin you can think of to put on it, is NOT a risk for hiv infection.

I'm beginning to think you'd be better served by seeing a counselor face-to-face about your varied and conflicting thoughts surrounding hiv than you would be by continuing to post here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ricket

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 10:05:21 am »
Thank you for your reply Ann. I actually am not trying to get you to tell me it's okay to bareback. I would NEVER do that, in fact at this point I am no longer even going to have protected sex with him because the entire situation has me worried sick. I guess where I am having a problem is I was intoxicated and he removed the condom so I was looking for a clear answer whether a top could be infected (in case my condom did break) because I myself did not get to see firsthand that the condom didn't break. Regardless you answered my question very clearly and thank you for that. Once again sorry for all the silly questions and what ifs, my imagination tends to get the best of me. Thank you for the help. 

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 12:35:07 am »
Rix-

Although I have no knowledge of exactly when I was infected, I can say that I had a very brief career as a bottom in 1978 (before HIV was even known, so no condoms were ever used). As I have no talent at bottoming whatsoever, I've been a top ever since.

Tops can and do get infected if they go unprotected. Don't be a ninny: use a condom and lotsa water-soluble lube.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.