Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:59:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 178
Total: 179

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Today makes one year since my diagnoses  (Read 2819 times)

Offline tippytu

Today makes one year since my diagnoses
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:49:52 pm »
Today makes exactly one year since I was diagnosed with HIV...in fact it's almost down to the very hour. It is dark & dreary & raining today..that is how my heart feels also. I am able to function now so things have gotten slightly better..but still not a day goes by that I don't think about this disease. Yes I can enjoy most things but always at the end of the day I'm sad & depressed. I don't know if I will ever be whole again! I worry about so much it's overwhelming. Since my husband is gone most of the time I am the one who has to take care of the kids the house etc. & it is so stressful sometimes I just want to give in

Offline YellowFever

Re: Today makes one year since my diagnoses
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:40:43 pm »
That's 525,600 minutes you've lived knowing you have HIV. But hopefully that's not the only way you measure a year in your life. Based on what you've said, it's also 525,600 minutes of enjoying most things in your life and of taking care of your family.

Personally, I don't see why the disease itself should make us sad. No one sheds a tear over learning that they have high cholesterol ("Oh no, got to lay off the bacon now..."). And HIV does not equal DEATH. What makes us sad and depressed is the stigma. So go find your safe space. Either in a solitary activity or a social circle of poz or poz-friendly friends. I'm sure it will make a big difference to you as it did to me.
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:49 pm »

Hi Tippy  :)

Nice to meet you !     I hope you are having a nice day .   Life gets better , much much better .   I do think of my HIV / AIDS   status  , not as much as I did years ago.
   You are lucky to have a family , although taking care of children by yourself , I'm sure is stressful in it self  :-\
   Take some time ; when you can , to care for your inner self .   We all tend to
 find HIV a  burden , but it does not have to rule our lives .
  I've had HIV over half my life now ,  I do have bad days , but I try to live a normal life , so far so good .  Things could be way worse than having HIV .
   Words can't make you  all better , but know that we all care .

Be well , Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:09:28 pm »
Hello Tippy,

Congratulations on your one year and I'm sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time.  Not only do you have to deal with issues, due to HIV, you are a full time mother with all the responsibility that entails.  It sounds like you could use some help, or maybe some time away from the family, to get the extra support you may need.

I also sense that you are experiencing some depression and sadly that is all too common with us pozzies, but there is help available, so maybe you could talk with someone about that issue.  I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel at times and what I would offer is for you to do something, anything, that you love, everyday (even if only for 15 minutes) to remind yourself that you matter.

As a parent I appreciate your dedication, but sometimes we forget to tend to ourselves.  My hope is that you will take some time, for you, to help ease your load and talk to some people to see what help they may provide.

I know you don't want to give in, otherwise you would not be here.  I think what you need is some help in dealing with real issues and you have the strength to ask for such help and the wisdom to realize that there are some things that we are unable to handle alone.

Joe

Offline tippytu

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 07:08:27 pm »
Thank you everyone. I work 40 hours a week & take care of 3 kids plus various farm animals..just feel like I never have enough time to get everything done. I'm exhausted..I am going to therapy once a week & on anti depressants but sadness still lingers

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:28:54 pm »
Its good to hear from you . Hopefully coming here and talking about it can help a little bit . I don't talk about as much as I should but although I have accepted my HIV diagnosis a long time ago I still have good days and bad days dealing with my health situation . This week has been especially bad .

I am relieved to hear you are working with a doctor on the depression and pressure you are under as well as posting again here . I hope you find that balance of good days and bad ... just remember that although its been a year you are still a work in progress and will get to that better place in your own time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:11:15 pm »
Hi Tippy;

I am also a parent, with a full time job and it does get to be a struggle.  I am a little over a year and a half into my diagnosis and things have gotten better over time.

You have allot on your plate with or without HIV - and I think Joe is right, you need to take some time for yourself even if it is just 15 minutes a day.

Wish you well,

JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:30 pm »
Hello,
I was a single mom for the first five years of my daughter's life.
I have had HIV for almost twenty years. Since I have had this disease I have seen friends and family show their true colors. I consider myself lucky because if it wasn't this disease it would have been something else they decided not to like me for.
I am now married and have a sixteen year old daughter. My daughter is HIV negative. My husband and I met after we were both positive.
One year is a good thing. Being HIV positive doesn't equal a terrible life. To me it means I have to be careful when it comes to making friends I can trust. Things do improve.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.