Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:07:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 233
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: In memory of Ian  (Read 34347 times)

Offline gemini20

In memory of Ian
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:19:39 pm »
Ian T. (20.04.1946 – 22.05.1993)

Last year when I wrote about the 14th anniversary of Ian’s death (http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12541.0) this section of the forums hadn’t been created; a lot of things can change in a year but what doesn’t change when you have lost someone you love is the memories you had together. I am grateful that this space is here so that those we have loved and lost can forever be memorialised.

And so today it is 15 years since Ian died, I sat at his grave thinking here was another anniversary that I am still around to remember but there will come a time when there is no one left to remember him and that is why I am making this permanent record so in the future his name won’t be forgotten.

I can remember the night I met Ian as well as the day that he died as if they both happened yesterday. The night we met was 19th April 1991 at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London; I was a 21 year old student taking a night off from revision for my final university exams by going to hear the London Chamber Orchestra as they were playing a piece I particularly wanted to hear.

Before the concert I was sat in the foyer writing in my journal, as I looked outside I noticed that it had started snowing despite it being April. I glanced around and noticed a man sat a few seats down was writing too. All I remember about him apart from the writing was that he was wearing blue clogs which made him slightly more ‘alternative’ looking than your average classical music audience member.

During the interval I spotted the ‘Clog Man’ again and we ended up in conversation and he asked for my number at the end of the concert. Despite an age difference of more than 20 years we began dating; to me he had many attractive qualities – intelligent, creative, well-travelled, caring and interesting to be with. From that chance meeting my life was to be forever changed by Ian – he knew he was HIV positive but didn’t tell me until a condom broke – the rest they say is history.

We were only together as a couple for just over a year but it was a year of my life that I will never forget – so many wonderful experiences we shared; and the simplest of things are what I remember and treasure the most. I still have three daffodils (now faded and pressed in my journal) from the first bunch of flowers he bought me; I still have the chocolate wrapper from a single heart-shaped chocolate he brought back from the shop one morning; the cuddly toy lion he bought me as a Christmas present has sat at the end of my bed every night for the last 17 years; I still have every card, post-it note and letter he ever wrote to me; I could go on and on.

Although we had ended our relationship before he became ill when I got the phone call to say he was in hospital I chose to visit and then became involved with his care over the last year of his life. As he had developed HIV related dementia he was no longer able to care for himself and spent the last year of his life in a hospice for people with HIV related brain impairment. The last few months will remain in my memory forever and yet even in the depths of Ian’s pain and confusion there were still glimmers of the man I had loved such a great deal.

He died on the morning of 22nd May; I had been at the hospice for about 18 hours the day before and they had finally persuaded me to go home to try and get some rest and so I wasn’t there for his final breath but I did arrive within 15 minutes as I lived reasonably close to the hospice. I had spent the last week thinking every day I visited that he already looked ‘dead’ but was surprised when I saw his dead body just how different he was – I guess it was the essence that makes us human that was finally gone.

Not that he planned it but on 22nd May 1993 I had tickets to see Bruce Springsteen in concert and nothing had ever come between me and a Bruce gig. But here I was on the morning of the gig at a hospice spending time with the dead body of the first man I had truly loved; dead from a disease that had ravaged his body and mind and knowing one day that I might face the same fate. I spent a few final hours with Ian’s body at the hospice, then a few more at home alone and then decided at 5pm to get on a train and go to the gig. I was holding it together pretty well but when Bruce sang ‘Souls of the Departed’ the emotions of the day finally caught up with me and I cried amongst thousands of fans in Milton Keynes Bowl.

The weeks, months and years have been many since Ian’s death but not a week goes by when I don’t think of him at least once, such was the impact he had on my life.

Gone but never forgotten – Ian – R.I.P.
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline PozitivelySouthern

Re: In memory of Ian
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56:21 pm »
Gemini ....beautiful story and beautifully written....Here's to Ian!!
05/28/08 Diagnosed
08/04/08 CD4 268 (24.4%) VL 3,310
09/08/08 CD4 316 (22.6%) VL 2,400
09/09/08 Started Atripla
10/31/08 CD4 389 (27.8%) VL Undetectable - Yay!
01/29/09 CD4 406 VL Undetectable
04/30/09 CD4 513 (27%) VL Undetectable.
10/27/09 CD4 560 (28%) VL Undetectable.
03/09/10 CD4 536 (33.5%) VL 96
12/02/10 CD4 514 (32.1%) VL Undetectable.
06/16/11 CD4 446 (29.7%) VL <20
11/11/11 CD4 608 (30.4%) VL 170

Offline gemini20

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »
Eighteen years on, sat at Ian's grave again today thinking how different my life might have been if we had never met.

But I cannot change the past but live only in the present because that is all I can know for sure.

Still miss you after all these years, not a week goes by when you are not in my thoughts.

Offline pozpete

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:30:10 pm »
That's a really touching story.

Life is pain.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:02:48 pm »
20 years on and I still miss you every day.

Made my annual remembrance trip to The Coffee Cup for raisin toast and hot chocolate today; too bloody cold in London for milkshake.

Was surprised how many tears came when I was at your grave today; thought that time might have lessened the emotional reaction but it might as well have been 20 days since you passed not 20 years.

Until we meet again...R.I.P. Ian

Emma

Offline britchick

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 04:52:27 am »
(((What a lovely tribute to Ian.Gone but never forgotten)))))))

Britchickx

Offline gemini20

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:11:08 am »
21st anniversary of your passing today.

While I am still here you will always be remembered.

Emma

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:37:22 pm »
RIP Ian who will be forever missed but never forgotten by a dear, sweet lady Emma, a great lady who I am proud to call my friend across the pond.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline gemini20

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »
22nd anniversary since you left me...you are not forgotten. At your grave today I reflected on how my life has changed in the time you have been gone. I never expected to still be here to acknowledge your passing but I am and will continue to do so each year until I can no longer.

Forever remembered.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 11:59:49 am »
Remembering Ian on the 23rd anniversary of his passing today.

Visited his grave and was thankful for the times we had together and mindful that as I reach my 25th year of diagnosis how much has changed during my quarter of a century living with HIV.

until next year...rest in peace.

Emma x

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:56 am »
((emma))

i've read your memorials for six years now, and it never fails to hit the feels

i hope you have found peace as well

Offline gemini20

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:30 pm »
Another year to add to so many since you've been gone.

Year 24 since the day you left me and I made my annual trip to your grave to say hello and remember our time together.

My life has moved on, a new love who brings me much joy and happiness but you will always be remembered on this day.

RIP IAN

Emma x

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 01:09:47 pm »
Hugs to my dear favorite London lady Emma.  May the anniversary of Ian's passing bring you comfort in knowing that you were a wonderful partner to him in life.  Hugs to you and I hope you are safe after all the horrors that lunatic terrorists have brought to your great city.

Grateful Dead

Offline gemini20

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »
Can't quite believe it is 25 years ago today since you passed away. Some days it still feels so fresh in my memory that it could have been yesterday. Those last few hours in the hospice are forever etched in my mind. How different life with HIV is today.

I came and sat at your grave today and thought of the time we had together and the impact you made on my life. It's good to remember and I hope wherever your spirit is now you are at peace.

Forever in my thoughts on this day.

Until next year...

Emma

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 12:27:44 am »
Bless you for continuing to memorialize the spirit of Ian here within these pages of sweetness and light:  never forget, remember always those who have journeyed  before. 

May they forever enjoy the peace the passes all understanding.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 12:41:17 am by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jody

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 03:56:29 pm »
I miss you Emma.  We met in London in 2010 and you showed me around town and I loved London. Greenwich and Brighton too.
 Herman was there. Cliff and his friend, originally fom the nation of Georgia I believe too.  You're friend Keith and a nice fellow from Germany whose name I forget attended as well. You came to New York a few years later and we enjoyed Central Park and the museums.  I hope you're doing well dear lady.  Big hugs.  Do write back someday if you can.  These are difficult days indeed.

Hugs, Jody

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.