Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:03:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 167
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Had unprotected insertive (me top) on hiv+ guy taking therapy  (Read 3056 times)

Offline warnowern

• Standard
good morning,
I had a short (no blood,no cum) insertive anal intercourse with a guy who later told me to be positive (I found HIV drugs at his home, I insisted to told me for how long he's been curing himself and my doctor even called him to ask him).
He told me he's been positive for around 3 years with very low viral load.
Sex was short,without blood nor cum.
After 12 hours I started PEP, which is giving me no side effects at all luckily.
All the nurses,doctors and experts at the hospital told me to stay calm,since we started PEP way in time and he's taking drugs, the risk is low.
What's your opinion about this?
A nurse even told me that her,and another collegue of her,accidentaly picked their fingers years ago with fresh positive blood just taken from a patient...after PEP none of them became positive.
Thanks for help.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Had unprotected insertive (me top) on hiv+ guy taking therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:03:06 am »
Warno,

I hope you were tested for hiv prior to being prescribed PEP to make sure you weren't already hiv positive.

You are very unlikely to end up hiv positive following one instance of unprotected insertive anal intercourse even if he wasn't on treatment and you weren't on PEP. But, he IS on treatment and you ARE on PEP, so you're more likely to wake up on the moon tomorrow morning than you are to end up hiv positive following this incident.

Hiv is MUCH more difficult to transmit to the insertive partner, but not impossible, although him being on treatment does make it nearly so.

I fully expect you to ultimately test hiv negative - this time.

It is important for you to understand that taking PEP extends your hiv testing window period by 28 days/four weeks - or the amount of time you take PEP. The earliest you should test is at six weeks following your last dose of PEP. A negative result must be confirmed at the three month point following your last dose of PEP.

You seriously need to learn from this and stop having unprotected anal intercourse. It makes me wonder how many hiv positive guys you've done this with who didn't accurately know their hiv status (ie they thought they were negative but were actually poz) - and because you never found hiv meds, you were none-the-wiser.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline warnowern

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:54 am »
HI Ann, and thanks.
Yes, I was immediately tested there at the hospital, and everything was fine, negative.
I'm also happy that PEP is not giving me any side effect (truvada + isenstress).
The thing that left me scared,disappointed,surprised is that he lied.
How lucky I was to catch by chance his drugs beside his bed?
I know that was my stupid mistake but I should've realized earlier what I was doing.
At first he denied, but then after my doctor called him (and the conversation was not that "easy" to listen to, I almost cried and felt so overwhelmed) he started admitting...then by texting on the cell he clearly admitted he was having the therapy with very low/undetectable virus.
Assuming he lied (so he's not curing himself), would chances increases for this kind of sexual contact?
By the way,when he was not there, I even saw blood tests beside his drugs, he's being followed by a local hospital but who knows if he strictly follows the therapy?
He's American, I'm Italian, in Italy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:23:38 am by warnowern »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:56 am »
Warno,

There currently is no cure for hiv. However, there are effective treatments, and when a patient has undetectable levels of the virus in their blood, they are very unlikely to be able to transmit their virus. You might want to read this thread concerning recent studies of hiv transmission in undetectable patients.  (DO NOT post in that thread, you are not permitted to post outside this section of the forums)

If you have been serosorting - asking people if they're hiv negative before having unprotected intercourse with them - sooner or later you are going to end up hiv positive. It isn't the people who are on treatment and lie about their status you really need to worry about, it's the people who only THINK they are hiv negative.

A person who has been very recently infected and is unaware of their infection will usually have an extremely high viral load - and are therefore much, MUCH more infectious. An insertive (top) partner is far more likely to end up infected when barebacking with someone with a very high viral load than they are from someone on treatment with a low or undetectable viral load.

If people who are hiv positive weren't treated so badly by society in general, maybe fewer of us would feel the need to lie about being poz. Personally I'm very open about my status, but many live in fear of the stigma we face and therefore hide their status. I'm not excusing this guy's lie, I'm telling you why people lie.

Again, you need to wise up and stop asking people about their status. If they say they're hiv negative, they could not know they're poz or they could be lying. It's far simpler to always use a condom until such time as you're in a relationship and you know that they're either 1. truly hiv negative or 2. truly on treatment and undetectable.

As long as you trust what people say about their hiv status and don't use condoms when they say they're negative, you're putting yourself at risk. Please STOP IT before I find myself welcoming you to the Just Tested Poz section of these forums.

This time you're going to be ok. But next time you bareback with someone who says they're hiv negative you might not be so lucky. Wise up!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline warnowern

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:34 am »
You're so right and I thank you.
One last question.Are there any reported case where PEP failed to work?
Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:50:12 am »
Warno,

I know of no cases where PEP failed when taken due to a possible sexual transmission.

It's not going to fail in your case provided you continue taking it - you can hold me to that statement.

Ann

PS - did you read the study in the other thread I linked you to?

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.