Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2024, 09:41:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772995
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral Sex and HIV testing  (Read 24416 times)

Offline jimk

Oral Sex and HIV testing
« on: July 08, 2006, 10:51:51 pm »
I had insertive anal sex 4 months ago with a man i knew for 8 months (i was the insertive partner) without a condom and no lump. but because i got scared i pulled out maybe one minute after we started.I asked him many times about his HIV status and he told me that i had nothing to worry about and that he was HIV- .I also had protected anal sex with him after that.
Of course you can never be sure about someones HIV status. Should i be tested ? I know from the opening section that is hard for HIV to get transmitted from the receptieve to the insertive partner but not impossible.
One more question.We had oral sex and he had active herpes on his lips.Is it possible to get infected that way from the wound on his lips because of the herpes? either by oral or by kissing? (HIV i mean)

Thank you all....oh btw i forgot to mention something...it was the first time i had sex...and i am not circumsized..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:58:51 pm by jimk »

Offline san_2002

Re: Insertive sex
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:18:19 pm »
If he doesnt have hiv you dont have to worry the question is do you trust in his word? Look i had insertive anal sex with a transsexual and like you i asked her about her status and she said that i dont have nothing to wrry about and eventhough i used a condom, the condom got cut from the middle left side and i pulled out and like you im worry but im worry because i think she doesnt know her status in other words i dont trust her. so for you if you trust the dude well then you should not worry but i dont want to scare or anything recpetive anal sex is and IV drug use is in the highest percentage of infection i mean if you do that most likely you have had a high risk in contracting hiv and as for insertive without a condom it still carries a  risk and in your case i think is lower if he indeed is negative but you should get tested in 3 months (90 days) or 12 weeks (86 days) thats what the experts say and the CDC says that 97 percent of people will develope antibodies in the first three months average being 25 days or 2 to 8 weeks but that is not conclusive so after three months if u get tested u can have a conclusive negative test result. so My good friend what do you think now about your risk. did i scare you even more or do you feel more confortable and as for herpes sorry to hear that he had it but most likely you got it if the sores were visible in his mouth that is a diffrent virus so that you might have . sorry to tell you that. hoped i helped somehow but wait till the experts talked to you and tell you what they think. OK be good and from now on use condoms partner for everything oral anal viginal if you like girls.

Offline jimk

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:25:40 pm »
I dont ask about if i got infected with herpes.I ask if i can get infected with HIV because of his active herpes and the sores in his mouth.And no i dont do drugs (never had) and i never had receptive anal sex...it was the first time i had sex...and i asked him many times after our contact about his status and he told me many times that he had no STD . Unfortunatly i cant ask him again because he passed away one month ago (heart attack)

Offline san_2002

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:34:57 pm »
sorry to hear that. My sympathy . ummm for hiv i cant tell you if you have it you have to get tested because you were at risk for not using a condom even if it was one minute you still were at risk you have to use condoms everytime you have sex. i cant tellyou if he had it or not because i dont know him but like i told you before if you trusted him then why are you worrying if you have your doubts then test that is all i can tell you i cannot tell you that you were not at risk becasue you were whether you like it or not you have to be more responsible and use condoms and make sure you use lubricant because they might break especially for anal intercoruse and my advice is to use a condom when you get a blow job or if you like to give bj's then make sure your  partner is using one and for everything else no exceptions until your in monogamous relationship were you and your partner have had tested for hiv toghether and other sti's ok that's the best i can tell you but like i said wait for the experts to tell you something they might give you more chances or make you more comfortable so is up to youif you want to listen to me or not.

Offline jimk

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 02:57:13 am »
Please....any advice????

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 03:05:40 am »
Jim,

First up ignore San_2002. He should restrict himself to his own thread. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He's in no position to give advice to anyone.

You seem to report and an incident of unprotected anal sex in which you where the insertive partner. Given that you had unprotected sex you will need to have a test for HIV 12-13 weeks from the date of the incident. However don't fret, the chances of you testing positive from this incident are not high.

However we can't rule it out so you need to test.

You should also know that other STD's such as chlamydia, herpes and gonorrhoea are much more prevalent and infectious than HIV. You should also ask for a full STD screen. In fact, sexually active people should have a full STD screen at least twice a year.

HIV/AIDS is going to be around for a long time. You really need to use condoms with water based lube whenever you have anal or vaginal sex. Finally I encourage you to read our Welcome Thread. It contains links to our testing and transmission lessons.

Take care,

MtD

Offline jimk

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 11:03:19 am »
Thank you for your answer matty. I know i should get tested but i am scared. And what about my second question? Can HIV be transmitted by receiveng oral from someone with active herpes on his lips?
One more question if i can...
Can HIV be transmitted by rubbing your pennis in someones anus?
Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 11:09:14 am »
Unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse are the means by which HIV is transmitted. You don't get it from receiving a blowjob even if the guy sucking you has herpes or whatever in his mouth. In the history of the epidemic there's never been a case of transmission from getting a blowjob and you aren't going to make history by becoming the first.

None of the other activities you described such as touching his anus with your penis  (but not inserting) were risky. However, inserting without a condom, however briefly, is risky. It's low risky and in my opinion I expect you will test negative. But the prudent thing is to get tested at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident.

In the future you can have as much  intercourse as you like. Just make sure that whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a latex condom. No exceptions no matter what you think you know about your partner's history or how great that person looks or anything else. A condom is a must everytime.

Get tested and resolve your concern. I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline jimk

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 11:30:19 am »
Thank you Andy. Its been 16 weeks since then and i am still looking for the courage to go and get tested.I hope too that i will come out of this ok.

Offline jimk

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 01:43:10 am »
I went to my doctor this morning and i told him what happened and i asked him if i should get tested for HIV. He told me that my case carries no risk and it is impossible to get infected just by inserting and pulling out immediatly.He told me to forget about it and he took blood in order to run test about my thyroid gland (i have thyroiditis).
He gave me also advices about protected sex and that i should never have sex without a condom if i am not sure about my partnern HIV status.He told me if i cant get it out of my mind to go again next week and get tested but he is sure that its not necessary.
Should i trust him or should i get tested?
Thanks again.

Offline john989

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 04:25:05 am »
jim,

If you penetrated for a minute as you stated, then you should test even for the brief unprotected exposure. Like Andy, I also expect you'll be fine. Not specifically for this incident, but all sexually active persons should be having a full STD panel done once-twice a year.

The blowjob carries no risk.

All the best,

John

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 07:27:34 am »
Jim,

I agree with your doctor except for one small point: it is NOT "impossible" to become infected from a brief insertion, although it would be extremely unusual. It is not quite outside the realm of possibility and so you would be wise to test. I fully expect you to test negative, but hiv is nothing to guess about.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

We had oral sex and he had active herpes on his lips.
While this isn't going to cause you to become infected with hiv through getting a blowjob, it can cause you to become infected with herpes on your penis. Having herpes on your penis can make you more vulnerable to hiv infection if you have unprotected intercourse while you have an outbreak.

Herpes is very common and very unpleasant to have. Try to avoid skin to skin contact with a herpes lesion whether it is on your body or your partner's body. Oral herpes can be transmitted to the genitals and genital herpes can be spread to the mouth and lips.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jimk

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:40:10 am »
Dear Ann, Andy and Matty.
Yesterday when my doctor called me to tell me the results about my thyroid gland i asked him to run a test for HIV.I also asked him if i had to go and give blood again but he told me that he already had the blood he took for the thyroid glad exams and that he could run the test for HIV within 48 hours from the moment i gave blood.
He called me this morning and he told me that it came back negative and i had no reason to worry about anything and continue with my life and be carefull from now on.
He told the method he used (i cant remeber the name but he told me that is better from Elisa).
The incident took place March 13. Is there any chance for wrong results?

Ann also i found this about herpes:    Symptoms of herpes usually develop within 2 to 20 days after contact with the virus, although it could take longer. These symptoms may last up to several weeks, varying from one person to the next. In many people, the first infection is so mild that it goes unnoticed. In others, the first attack causes visible sores. Even so, subsequent recurrences of the disease may cause lesions.

I had no symptoms at all.Does that mean that i wasnt infected?

Ann the informations about condoms and lube are really helpful.Thank you for that.
I will always be careful from now on.

P.S. This site is one of the best about HIV and the lesson section is amazing.
I will continue visiting the site very often and help anyway i can.
I hope there will be a cure for HIV really soon.
Thank you all for your help

Best wishes.

JIM

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 07:15:39 am »
Jim,

As your incident happened more that 12-13 weeks ago, it doesn't matter what test your doctor ran. Any test at this point in time is conclusive. You are hiv negative.

Re-read the information you quote on herpes. It says "In many people, the first infection is so mild that it goes unnoticed." So no, the fact that you noticed no symptoms does not mean that you don't have herpes. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms means nothing where most STIs are concerned. This is why regular, routine testing for all STIs is the only way to go when you're sexually active.

You are hiv negative, use condoms for intercourse and stay that way.

And you're welcome; I'm glad we could be of some help to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mercury

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:11:35 am »
yea, dont worry, you are hiv negative. You should have started gettin the symptoms otherwise.

Offline jimk

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 08:14:20 am »
Thank you very much Ann.
I will be carefull from now on and wont play with my health.
Best wishes to all.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 08:15:03 am »
Mercury, that is not true. Some people don't have any symptoms at all.

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:25 am »
Mercury,   WRONG......I have been HIV positive for a at least a year, posibably much longer, and have NEVER had a symptom as of yet.   And as you have proably read many times,  even with "symptoms" many, many individuals are not even HIV positive!.

"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline jimk

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 02:40:37 pm »
One more question.I got the results from the doctor.
It sais...

Antibodies for HIV1 & HIV2 : 0.261 negative   negative<1.0

What does that mean....is there any chance for late seroconvertion?
Should i be tested again ?
Its been 4 months since the risk situation.Should i worry?

And one more think.Is there something that can cause late seroconvertion?
For example the person i had sex was under chemiotherapy because of cancer (lymphom).Can something like this casue a late seroconvertion?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 02:51:38 pm by jimk »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 04:02:54 pm »
Jim,

Unless you were the person receiving chemotherapy, you have no reason to fear late seroconversion.

An hiv taken from 12-13 weeks onward is conclusive and this means your four month test is absolutely conclusively negative.

You are hiv negative. Protect your negative status by using condoms from now on, every time, no exceptions. Do that and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimk

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 05:25:05 pm »
Hi again.One more question because i am still worried.
What does << Antibodies for HIV1 & HIV2 : 0.261=negative   negative<1.0   >>
Does that mean something...sorry for asking again but should i be tested again in the 6 months period?
My Dr told me that a 3 month test is conclusive and in my case its been 4 months since the exposure but i am still worried because i have swollen nodes from time to time and a sore throat since May...i am still very worried
Should i forget about HIV t and move on?
Thank you
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:27:34 pm by jimk »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 08:18:08 am »
Jim,

Your test result means that you are hiv negative - you do NOT have hiv. You are NOT infected with hiv. OK?

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do NOT need further testing over this incident. There are thousands of possible causes for the physical problems you are having, but whatever is going on, it's nothing to do with hiv as you have ruled hiv out of the picture.

It's time for you to move on with your life. Seriously.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimk

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 04:01:27 pm »
Thank you Ann.I really want to listen to your advice and move on but sometimes its really hard to get over the fear.
And besides that,although the microbiologist tolld me to move on and that a 17 week test is conclusive some other doctors told me that the conclusive test is in 6 monts period.
And i also have different symptoms, sore throat since April, swollem glands from time to time, fever 98.5-99.5, stomatitis,....
I wish you are right, but i am still scared.And really scared.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 06:33:42 pm »
Jim,

Any doctor telling you to test out to six months is woefully out of date and I'd wonder what other medical advances they've failed to keep up to date on. Three months (12-13 weeks) is absolutely conclusive with today's testing technology.

98.5-99.5 is NOT a fever. When your temperature goes up to 104, then we'll talk fever.

Go see your doctor about your persistant sore throat. Whatever is causing it is certainly isn't hiv. If you continue to have trouble accepting your negative status, then please seek the assistance of a mental health care professional. There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimk

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2006, 11:51:14 am »
Some help...i found out today that my doctor used another method and not Elisa.The method is called Chemiluminescence and he told me that is more advanced than Elisa and that is similar with Elisa...is he right???Please help me....i was tested 4 months after the incident and i was negative ...antibodies for HIV1 and HIV2 0.269    negative<1 ...should i get tested again??? is that method accurate???should i have waited more ????  Please help....Should i be tested again with Elisa???
Please...i am fricking out....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2006, 12:40:20 pm »
jim,

There are several chemiluminescent tests for hiv, some are a type of Western Blot, some a type of PCR and another is a newly developed Chinese method similar to an ELISA. I don't doubt that the test was accurate, however if you feel you need a more traditional ELISA, go ahead and get one. I expect that to also come back negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimk

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2006, 02:33:34 pm »
Ok Ann..thanks for the answer...i don't know what i should do? Should i be retested or not? What is your advice? The doctor told me that this method is more advanced than Elisa and since i waited for 4 months i shouldn't be tested again (the window period here in Greece is 2 months)...i just never heard of this method and i don't know if it is accurate and sensitive as Elisa is.What is your and the other experts advice? What you would have done?

Thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2006, 06:00:15 pm »
Jim,

I don't think you need further testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 08:16:25 am »
Jim, I agree with Ann. There's no need for further HIV testing. We've been telling you all along that we expected you to test negative.

I also strongly disagree with one thing your doctor said to you a while back -- about condom use unless you were certain about your partner's HIV status. The only time condoms can be safely dispensed with is when both partners have committed to a securely monogamous relationship after having reliably tested negative together. Otherwise whomever is the insertive partner should always be wearing a condom for intercourse. No exceptions. 

It's time to call a halt to your concern about this HIV issue. Get on with your life. Really.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jimk

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 10:57:02 am »
Hello again and happy new year.

It seems that i cant get out of my mind the fear for HIV. I noticed that the last couple of months the number of my WBC is dropping. I have a CBC every month cause i have a problem with my thyroid gland and i have to examine every month.Well the last couple of months my WBC dropped from 7.2-7.0 which i have for the last 8 maybe 9 years (in Octomber as well) to 6.5 last month (Ne 3600) (Ly 2000) and this month to 5.8 (Ne 3300) (Ly 1730). I dont know why but i am thinking that there was something wrong with the HIV test i had in July.I asked the doctor (the same microbiologist who conducted the HIV test) and he told me that the HIV was accurate, that i dont have HIV and my WBC are probably dropping cause i quit smoking 5 months ago.I dont know what to believe.I dont know what to do.Should i be tested again.My doctor told me that i dont have to be tested again.You told me the same thing.Should i put everything behind.Sorry for bothering you again.But this time i will follow your advice...for good...
Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 01:04:54 pm »
You should have put this behind you when you received your results.

Offline jimk

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 03:08:04 pm »
Ann and Andy i would your opinion too.....thanks

Offline jimk

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 07:28:53 pm »
Ann and Andy please....i would like to hear your opinion for one last time....please

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 09:46:51 am »
You go to your Dr. who you trust to prescribe you proper medication for your thyroid condition and he tells  you that the HIV test he gave you is accurate and NOW you start doubting if he is any good?

How does THIS make any sense at all?

Listen to your Dr.  either you trust him or you dont, and if you dont then get a new Dr for EVERYTHING!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline jimk

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2007, 09:15:33 am »
ACinKC thanks but i dont think thats an answer.I asked for the experts opinion but i dont think i will get one.  :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2007, 09:31:04 am »
Between here and the grave in the far, far distant future you will have all sorts of physical events occur. Having that happen will not mean you are HIV positive. (Unless you subsequently put yourself at risk).

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

You are once again practicing medicine on yourself without a license. That's way bad for your health.

Discuss physical concerns with your doctor.

And maybe it's time for you to see a therapist or other such professional to deal with the emotional aspects of this situation. Because you sure as hell have absolutely no basis in HIV science for this concern.
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 09:35:38 am »
And he answers.  Did you really think it would be any different?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline jimk

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2007, 10:55:40 am »
Ok..thank you and i am sorry..didnt mean to offend anyone..thanks for all your help...i guess i have to listen to my doctor and all you, move on and leave everything behind...just hope you are right...thanks again everyone..

Offline jimk

Oral Sex and HIV testing
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2007, 07:26:04 pm »
One more question regarding oral sex and HIV infection.
I had oral sex 3 days ago with a stranger. I was the the one being sucked off.
He deep throat me and in one moment he start coughing with my penis in his mouth (i think because of the gag reflex- i don't know if that could cause any bleeding in his mouth.
To make the long story short there was only oral sex from his side, i was only receiving oral, deep throating and that coughing moment (and ejaculation in his mouth).
Should i go get tested for HIV? Is there any risk from that kind of contact?
Thank you,

Jim

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Oral Sex and HIV testing
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 07:33:39 pm »
Jim,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Getting a blowjob, regardless of how deep they took you or how much they coughed, choked or gagged, is not a risk for hiv infection. You should have known that from the last time you were hanging around here. Read the transmission lessons linked to in the Welcome Thread and also the three condom and lube links in my signature line. Learn this stuff - we're not going to be there every single time you have a sexual encounter, holding your hand and explaining risk factors.

You did not have a risk for hiv infection when you got sucked.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jimk

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 07:44:24 pm »
Thanks Ann.
I have read everything in this site. I am aware of the fact that only anal and vaginal sex are risk for HIV infection.
I am always carrying condoms with (although since the last incident i had no sexual encounters except mutual masturbation kissing etc etc but no other contact. So 3 days ago oral happened as well and although i knew that it is no risk for infection i thought to ask just to be even more sure.
Anyway. I do remember all your advices from last time yours and Andy's as well.
But since that was my first real encounter after 18 months since last incident i got scared and i needed to hear from someone who knows more about HIV than me.
So i guess i shouldn't worry about it and go on being careful and playing safe?

Thanks Ann
Thanks Andy

Offline jimk

Condom Break
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:27 pm »
Hello again.
Last night i had protected anal sex (I was the insertive partner).
At some point the condom broke (It was the first time it happened to me and i didn't realize it at the beginning) but after 10-15 sec i decided to pull out and i saw a small hole (size of a small button) on the top part of the condom (the part that covers the top-head of the penis). When i realized that I immediately stopped and the intercourse ended there.
Should i worry about this incident?
Should i go get tested?
What are the chances of getting infected from an incident like that?
Thanks in advance.

Jim

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 04:51:16 pm »
It's extremely unusual for a condom to break in the manner you have described. The likelihood of transmission, even assuming your partner was HIV+, is very slight. It was a single and very brief incident.

And yes, I would suggest you get tested in 13 weeks. I expect you to test negative.

Make sure you are using fresh condoms that fit you properly.

Good luck with your test. 
Andy Velez

Offline jimk

Condom Break
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:43 pm »
Thank you for the response.
Should i start PEP?
The incident happened less than 24h ago and i do have access into PEP therapy.
I always use a fresh condom and lub and i am surprised too with the way it broke but i can tell you for sure it broke during the intercourse and i realized it immediately thats why i pulled out.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »
You do not need PEP. The likelihood of you testing positive is extremely low. It's a technicality really.

PEP is potent, expensive stuff and the side effects are very unpleasant. I doubt you'd be able to hack a week of PEP let alone the full 28 days. In any event I'd be very surprised if any doctor would prescribe it for you. Also, PEP extends the window period. Rather than testing 13 weeks from the date of the incident, you have to test 13 weeks from the time you stop the PEP.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 08:07:01 pm »
This was a very brief and low level risk. In my opinion instituting PEP is absolutely not warranted. Really.

Get tested at 13 weeks and collect what I expect will be a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline jimk

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 05:03:08 pm »
Hello again. I went to the hospital today to discuss my incident with some doctors i know including an HIV specialist who is also a professor at Emory University in Atlanta and they all told me that i don't need PEP and that there is only theoretical risk from the incident i had and that the practical risk is zero. They explained to me that it takes a prolonged unprotected exposure with the virus (also the viral load has to be high too) for the infection to happen and that you can't get infected from such a short exposure. So they told me that i shouldn't worry at all for the incident and sent me home. I know that you told me almost the same things but i still have my doubts.
I would like to know your opinion as well.

Jim     

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
We have already rendered our opinions on your case. As you note they are in agreement with the opinions you received from the doctors you lately spoke with.

MtD

Offline jimk

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 05:33:47 pm »
Thanks Matty but i have to admit that i am confused.
The same people told me that if it was not me asking but a complete stranger, they would have told him to get tested and that there is a risk and they would have told that just to be politically correct. It comes to a point that you don't know what and who to believe. If you ask the CDC they will say that it is a risk, if you ask HIV specialist they will tell you un-officially that it is not a risk but  officially that it is a risk.
I am really sorry but what the.................

Jim

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »
The CDC is a government agency and as such represents the particularly conservative views of the current US administration, so doctors in the US will give you the official/unofficial routine.

I live in Australia and the official position here is what we've been telling you.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.