Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:16:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 189
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Xanax / Ambien for sleep  (Read 8619 times)

Offline 2manyquestions

Xanax / Ambien for sleep
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:39:17 am »
Having trouble with sleeping.  I have Ambien and it works OK, I just don't want to take it every night for fear of getting hooked.  I now alternate Advil PM and take a few nights off. 

My doc prescribed Xanax, which surprised me but I guess Benzos are good for sleep too.  The question is... Should I try it?  Keep using Ambien or just suffer now and see if I can get through it?

I know these are powerful meds...  I watch celebrity rehab, I see what can happen ;-)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Xanax / Ambien for sleep
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:30 am »
Having trouble with sleeping.  I have Ambien and it works OK, I just don't want to take it every night for fear of getting hooked.  I now alternate Advil PM and take a few nights off. 

My doc prescribed Xanax, which surprised me but I guess Benzos are good for sleep too.  The question is... Should I try it?  Keep using Ambien or just suffer now and see if I can get through it?

I know these are powerful meds...  I watch celebrity rehab, I see what can happen ;-)

Xanax has an addictive potential too. Have you discussed your concerns about addiction with your doctor?

MtD

Offline 2manyquestions

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 02:54:50 am »
He feels that if you use medication properly, it's all good and if I'm missing sleep we should try to fix the problem.  He just suggested I try it and see if it helps.  So I figured I would reach out and see if others use it successfully (without addiction or withdrawal).

I have always felt that if you don't *need* it, I mean really need it, then pass. 

However, I want to sleep better, it's pretty important to my daily happiness and I wonder if this would improve my quality of life.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:58:51 am »
He feels that if you use medication properly, it's all good and if I'm missing sleep we should try to fix the problem.  He just suggested I try it and see if it helps.  So I figured I would reach out and see if others use it successfully (without addiction or withdrawal).

I have always felt that if you don't *need* it, I mean really need it, then pass. 

However, I want to sleep better, it's pretty important to my daily happiness and I wonder if this would improve my quality of life.

He's right. I used a benzo called oxazepam for years to deal with insomnia that exacerbated my epilepsy. My GP carefully monitored my use and I never became addicted.

Work closely with your doctor and things should be ok.

Personally, I'd prefer to use a benzo to ambien.

MtD

Offline 2manyquestions

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:36:02 am »
Thanks MtD,

Not certain yet if I'll proceed but I'm leaving it open as an option.  I half expected a pile of posts telling me to forget it because Benzos are the devil!  This gives me some hope that if I can't get over this soon, I have another path.

Your signature tag reminds me of a story speaking to a highly religious person in the south who once asked me how it was that if I wasn't also very religious and god-fearing... What kept me from sexually abusing children or other horrible crimes.  I literally had to walk away in shock.  I didn't know that people could still surprise me like that.

Offline osric

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:08:56 pm »
The day I got the confirmation that I was HIV positive, the doc have me a prescription for Xanax. He said just from looking at me that I might need it.

So I took one at bedtime. I slept for a good 14 hours and woke up feeling awful. Kind of like a rally bad hangover.

I never took it again.

These days I take Klonopin, since that's what my neurologist recommended to go along with my seizure meds. Gets me to sleep and I wake up feeling moderately refreshed.

Offline Torchwood

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:27 pm »
I don't suggest starting on the Xanax unless you need for anxiety. The addiction sucks. I take Xanax, Lunesta and Advil PM to sleep every night and have been this way for years. Ambien was nasty to me. I would wake up in the middle of the night, do business transactions, send emails and not remember any of it.
Discovered 4/2006
VL: 1600
CD4: 1005
Started Complera 10/2011
VL: 48,500
CD4: 570
1/17/12
VL: Undetectable
CD4: 890
4/12
CD4: 895
11/12
CD4: 1193
4/12
CD4: 1461
11/13
CD4: 1273
5/14
CD4: 1788
11/14
CD4: 1532
5/30/15
CD4: 1313
VL: HIV-1 RNA Detected: < 40 copies/mL of plasma.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.