Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:23:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 621
Total: 621

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Provigil  (Read 2188 times)

Offline KKNYC

Provigil
« on: June 03, 2007, 05:31:22 am »
After seven years on HAART, the fatigue was becoming very hard to live with.  In addition, my insomnia hasn't responded to any of the prescription sleeping pills I've tried, and I tried every one of them.  I read about Provigil about a year ago and wondered if a stimulant would help me "re-set" my circadian clock.  After a lot of lobbying with my doctors, as well as with insurance, I finally got the Provigil.

It has made an incredible difference in how I feel.  As I suspected, if I have a night of little sleep, instead of going back to bed at 8 AM, 100mg of Provigil twice during the day and I'm completely normal, awake, alert and able to get to sleep the next night with no trouble at all.  This has reduced my "sleepless" nights from at least five a week to one, if that.

Unlike the amphetamines that have been on the market, there is no "buzz" from Provigil.  Nothing weird, just a feeling as though I'd had a full night's sleep.  They say there are no side effects, no risk of addiction.

Right now, the drug is only approved for shift workers and for narcolepsy, but I have a feeling that as more people report positive results, that will change.  I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who is battling fatigue.

More info at www. provigil (dot) com

Offline Ulong

Re: Provigil
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 09:39:20 am »
I've had fatigue for years, and finally was prescribed Provigil last year. I could have written your post! Thanks for saving me the trouble of typing that out.   ;)

It was amazing to be able to go a full day without either a four-hour nap or just slumping over and being unproductive in any fashion. No buzz, no freaky side effects. The part that sucks...my insurance wouldn't reauthorize it over one year, since I don't have one of the FDA approved circumstances like working night shifts or Narcolepsy. Interestingly enough, if I had fatigue from Multiple Sclerosis, they'd approve it. My doc was also concerned about it affecting the levels of the PI's I take. So now I take amphetamines, they don't work that well and I'd so much rather be back on the Provigil. The idea of taking speed is just kinda scary to me.

According to Wikipedia, there are some pharma companies challenging the patent, and there is a similar drug approved for use in other countries. And it seems like it's popular (read that as: big moneymaker).  So I'm holding out hope that maybe it'll be easier to get Provigil in the future. Fatigue is one of those big quality of life issues in HIV and having this type of drug available would be great.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.