Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:55:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 470
Total: 471

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POZ News: "Is the AIDS Quilt Obsolete?"  (Read 28088 times)

Offline cheehan2002

Re: POZ News: "Is the AIDS Quilt Obsolete?"
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2007, 02:34:20 pm »
I'm a member of the Board of Directors of Rural AIDS Action Network in Minnesota.  We just did a display of 160 panels of the AIDS Memorial Quilt in November in Bemidji, a small city not far from the Canadian border.  The AIDS Memorial Quilt is relevant in areas such as this where HIV/AIDS is still not as common as more heavily populated areas.  We had between 300-400 visitors to the display, many of whom were deeply moved and reminded that AIDS is still with us and there still is no cure.  As a co-host of the display I spoke with many people after they viewed the AIDS Memorial Quilt and they were all very appreciative of our doing this display.  There were many people who had lost a family member, friend or acquaintance or knew someone living with HIV/AIDS.  The display of the Quilt helped them to remember that those of us living with HIV/AIDS, such as myself, are not just numbers or statistics, that we are people just like them living with a disease that has no cure but is held somewhat at bay by modern medicines and healthful living.  I feel the the AIDS Memorial Quilt serves a very important purpose beyond being a memorial, it is also a tool for educating people about HIV/AIDS.  David

Offline FLDudePIT

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2007, 04:31:39 pm »
I think its time for a PERMANENT memorial for AIDS.   We need a place to permanently display portions of the quilt. The panels could be changed out over and over again giving each panel time in the light as they were intended.  New panels are made every day yet they never get a chance to be used for there true purpose.  Permanent display and warehousing facilities are most definitely needed and is only going to become more necessary in the future.
It should be library for education and research, as well as a memorial.  A center where people can not only come to remember lost loved ones, but a place to ensure that HIV and AIDS does not spread any further to future generations.  A tool to be used to teach and to remember.
I was fortunate enough to see and be involved in the quilt display in 1996 in Washington DC.  It not only gave me a chance to remember friends lost, but to let them know that they did not die in vane and that their memory and sacrifice should and will be remembered.
NO WAY is the quilt obsolete.  IT IS TIME for a permanent display.  Why not one in each major metropolitan city in the country?  That way each state is responsible for their section of the quilt and its memories.  Why not in each major capital city of the world?  AIDS is not just a US issue. 
Anyone have any idea how to get something like this started?
IT IS TIME TO PERMANENTLY REMEMBER!
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mora

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13:57 am »
I am really torn here.  I saw a large portion of The Quilt at the Millenium March in 2000.  It was an incredibly moving experience - one that you really can't put into words.

On some levels, I think that The Quilt should be "put to rest", if you will.  That's not to say it should not be displayed.  I ABSOLUTELY think it should be displayed.  But, I see The Quilt as a remembrance and respectful tribute to a very tragic period of time.  To me it signifies a period of great fear and unknowing and loss - in proportions that we (hopefully) will never know again.  On one hand, I think it should no longer be added to.  BUT...then what about the folks (some of which we know and love on here) that have been on this journey since those "early" days and experienced that fear and loss?  They are just as much a part of that era as those whose names and panels are already part of The Quilt.  Make a "rule" that a diagnosis pre-(insert date) grandfathers one to have a panel some day?  Who knows?  Not me.

I don't generally like the idea of separating the "veterans" from the "newbies", but in this case, I kind of lean more toward leaving The Quilt as a legacy from an era past and to pay respect to those who travelled a road that I will never know.  JMHO

In any case, very interesting and thought-provoking question. 
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2007, 12:56:41 am »
As long as there are still panels being made, I submit that the crisis is not over.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2007, 02:09:42 am »
Wow... I suddenly seem to have had a bit of a flash of memory about something.

I remember seeing the AIDS Quilt on TV when I was very small... it would have had to have been in the late 1980s.  I would have been about six or seven maybe... I remember not knowing what AIDS was exactly... only knowing that it was bad... something that killed people.  I remember watching the news when I was little... and seeing people walk around the panels and crying... and I knew it was in Washington because I had been there to visit my grandparents.   
It's strange what you remember when you're a kid.

My parents were much younger then... in their early 30s... and sort of flippantly cruel about AIDS the way a lot of people were then, I suppose.  Particularly my mother... probably would have said something in hushed tones about "reaping what you sow" or some such nonsense that I grew up with.  It wasn't homophobia with conviction... not the sort of obsessive treacle that you see from a lot of the Christian right... just a sort of casual indifference.  Something that I definitely picked up on as a got a little older... and something that disappeared in both of them as times changed and they got older, too. 

Now, they're helping me out with my co-pays on Sustiva and Truvada. 

Things have changed... but not nearly enough. 

People are still dying from it... I might die from it. 

I think it should be kept around.   
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline RobT

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2007, 07:16:25 am »
I do not think the AIDS QUiLT is obsolete. It still  is relevant, but ppl have lost the understanding of the disease itself, thinking that it has been 'cured'. I really wish that was true.
Funding does not even come close to fighting it and more $$$ is pooled together to fight our causes such as the illegal war in Iraq. I thought we won that war, since Bush said so.

RobT
Current meds: Atripla
VL: undetectable
CD4: 630

Offline Ed

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 12:16:11 pm »
I was development director of the Quilt for four years ending a year after the DC 96 display of the Quilt in its entirety on the National Mall.  In 1997, I suggested to the Executive Director and the board that the way to ensure the Quilt's lasting value as both a memorial AND a prevention/education tool was to maximize the National High School Quilt Program and minimize (or in some cases end) other programs.  Alas, my advice was not taken, and the Quilt is in a predicament now.  However, I am sure with careful thinking, program(s) can be devised or reinvented to assure that it has compelling meaning well into the future of the pandemic.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.