Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2021, 03:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 761506
  • Total Topics: 64652
  • Online Today: 118
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 82
Total: 84

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Living With HIV / Re: COVID-19 Vaccine
« Last post by J.R.E. on Today at 02:58:06 pm »
 8)

I did end up, getting the seasonal Flu shot today. One more thing out of the way.

Didn't even have to enter into the Hospital for this, They had it all set up in the parking lot, outside the VA. They want to keep as many people out of the hospital as possible.  Otherwise, I pulled in, walked to the tent, about 50 feet away, no one was in line. I answered the 6 or so questions, and I was in and out of the VA campus, in less than 15 minutes.

Ray  8)

Living With HIV / Re: "HOPE DIES LAST"
« Last post by Tonny2 on Today at 02:53:24 pm »

ojo.          Hi everyone!!

@geasshopper, thx for your reply…I’m just like your aunt, although, the pain used to be  sporadic, now, it’s Moore frecuéntate and painfully, which is making me think seriously to get rid of my right eye, the blind one, even it has gotten smaller and people can tell there is something wrong with it…I will let you know when I have the “cojones” de do the surgery, if I knew I to upload a picture in here, I’d show it in here (my beautiful brown eye in a glass jar) lol…hugs for you and your aunt
Off Topic Forum / Re: Mohs on the nose
« Last post by J.R.E. on Today at 02:46:06 pm »
Hey Zach,

Sounds as though your doctor, is right on the ball. Did they tell you, whether it was a basil or squamous cell, that they were removing?

When I had the Basil cell on my nose removed, it wasn't mohs sugery.

But they did the Mohs on my toe, when I had that done, a few months back. Every small layer they took off, it went quickly to the lab, and the results came back on the loud speaker in the operating room,( that I could hear) until the results came back negative.

Yes, any cancer on the face can be brutal at times. Did you have two black eyes. I did, after my nose surgery.

Sounds as though your doctor is being precautionary with the chemo. My neighbor went through the same thing, and also had a couple rounds of chemo done. She has been fine since. She had it on the lower lip.

Take care-----Ray
Vivir con el VIH / Re: LA ESPERANZA MUERE AL ULTIMO
« Last post by Tonny2 on Today at 02:43:11 pm »

ojo.             Hola a todos!

@chileanpoz, gracias por tus palabras de apoyo, si, mis números están muy bien, lastimosamente llegaron a ese nivel muy tarde , ya había perdido la mayor parte de mi vista, pero sigo vivo, no me puedo quejar.

La única manera que me puede ayudar a mejorar mi vista es un transplante de células madres cultivadas de otra parte de mi cuerpo y se puedan convertir en células corréales (límales), de hecho, ya tuve cirugía de células madres de la córnea de mi ojo ciego y desafortunadamente solo funcionó por tres años, ahora solo queda esperar a que la tecnología avance…el transplante de córnea no me servirá ya que tengo ese problena de falta de células limbales (my has cirugías previas dañaron esas células), en pocas palabras, transplante descartado, espero que no se ponga peor mi vista rápidamente.

La vida sigue, hay mucha gente que está ciega y viven completamente, es solo cosa de adaptarse, lo cual, haré…saludos y recuerden qué hay vida después de un diagnóstico de vih/sida…ANIMO!!
Off Topic Forum / St. Andrew's Cross Spider
« Last post by Bucklandbury on Today at 02:37:32 pm »
So I took off this week. My partner is off this week and next. We stayed put here in central Kentucky.

The highlight of today has been a St. Andrew's Cross Spider (Argiope kiyserlingi) - photo below - outside my bedroom window I just found. At least I believe that's what it is. I am not an arachnophile, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I left her alone. She's harmless. Maybe she will eat some mites or flies, which I despise.

https://i.postimg.cc/9mrYsXRB/Image-1.jpg
Off Topic Forum / Mohs on the nose
« Last post by zach on Today at 11:29:19 am »
They cut it off, to spite my face.

It was barbaric. I was awake. They'd cut, then biopsy, leaving me to chill for about 30 minutes each time. Then they'd come and cut again. 4 times all morning. 5th time they borrowed skin from around my ear to rebuild the nose, and stitched me up.

Today I changed the bandage for the first time, and the doctor called. They want three rounds of chemo after it's healed

Nuke it from orbit, nothing here worth saving

EDIT

For background
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=69334.msg742647#msg742647
https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I need to look at this site. I would no doubt be taking out more per year than the ADAP limit in my state (Kentucky), but I am OK with paying for it as it would be a tax deduction for me as a medical expense.

It's the med cost I really don't want to absorb. Biktarvy is outrageously expensive.
I wish I could trust buying Taffic from India. I looked at one site a couple of days ago, but they do not take PayPal or credit cards, and I am not keen on buying cryptocurrency (Ethereum) to make the unknown transaction with someone so far away I do not know.
Have faith, you can retire as planned. 

I retired 3 months before turning 58 (now turning 65 in one week).  I'm sure I have a lot less saved than you do and I've never had any financial problems.  I live alone and don't get any public assistance.  However, my HIV meds are generic, so the cost is only $135/month.  I had Obamacare until this month.  It was free so can't complain.  However, the annual deductible was so high ($8600) that I never reached the limit.  I paid for all medical expenses out of pocket, but I did benefit by getting the insurance company's negotiated rate for services.

Some states have asset limits on ADAP.  Laws change so best to double check w/your state to see if what's specified in the article is still accurate.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839
« Last post by Bucklandbury on Yesterday at 11:17:23 pm »
Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday. I had read the after effects were worse on the second dose than the first. They were right. Couldn't sleep last night, cold sweats, raging headache and sore arm. Temperature this morning over 38 degrees. Felt nothing like that after the first jab.

I had a quite low CD4 count and very high viral load when I got my first Pfizer shot in mid-February, 2021. My arm felt like a nail gun had been applied to it! But after my second shot in mid-March - the exact same time I got my advanced HIV notice - it did not hurt much at all. I did end up recently getting a third shot since I had been so lowly the first two times with a very high HIV viral load and very low CD4 count. No side effects from that third shot either.

If I had had your reactions, I would tend to think that: (1) yes, it definitely was going to build up antibodies - which is very good - and that (2) I would likely have ended up quite sick had I actually gotten COVID-19. I am no expert, though.

I felt good getting that third shot in my case. I know you feel the same about your second!

My brother's first wife died at age 48 from COVID August 25. Very sad indeed. She was unvaccinated and was in the hospital less than week. My nephew - now nearly age 30 - is having to raise his half-sister. I remember when he himself was just born and my parents - his grandparents - were still alive. Seems like yesterday to me at age 51.

This virus is no joke as you're well aware. Let no one be fooled into thinking otherwise. More than one in 500 Americans has now succumbed to COVID-19.
« Last post by daveR on Yesterday at 09:11:00 pm »
Got my second dose of Pfizer yesterday. I had read the after effects were worse on the second dose than the first. They were right. Couldn't sleep last night, cold sweats, raging headache and sore arm. Temperature this morning over 38 degrees. Felt nothing like that after the first jab. Shows it is working I guess. Took two paracetamol with breakfast and feeling much better. Temperature dropped to 36.8 in less than two hours so all is well.

The registration here annoys me though, both times I have to fill out a health status form. They are not using the hospital so my records are not there. Both times I tick the box saying I have an ongoing condition. They ask what it is and at the mention of HIV the smile goes, I get an embarrassed "Oh" and then they regain their composure. Not very professional in this day and age from hospital staff.

I warn the nurse doing the vaccination also, they are ok about it. Yesterday she laughed and joked that they ownly use the syringe once. They also thank me for the warning. Probably not really needed but I just feel obliged to let them know.

Currently feeling like superman, indestructible.
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.