Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:41:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 600
Total: 601

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This article really resonated with me  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Bucklandbury

This article really resonated with me
« on: August 07, 2021, 11:09:14 am »
https://www.poz.com/blog/Five-things-my-heart-surgery-taught-me-about-HIV

Bob is retiring. He calls on a new generation of AIDS activists with new tactics.

I got complacent over the last 30 years, but I am on fire now. I want to do more.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: This article really resonated with me
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 07:52:50 am »
He calls on a new generation of AIDS activists with new tactics.
. . .
I want to do more.
the frustrations of a sector, at least in Canada, that has been spinning its wheels, achieving poor results where it matters most. New HIV diagnoses in particular are trending the wrong way. The industry, in truth, needs a shake-up. I’d love to see a new generation of activists approach that task, to help fashion a response to HIV entirely differently from the current one, in fact.

I applaud your desire to want to do more!   :-*

For much of the last decade and a half, I have been doing volunteer work with not only several health clinics but several county health dpts. and two state health dpts - and all because I live just outside of Charlotte NC, but across the state line in SC. Basically, I have a few forms of activism I suggest to people wanting to do more.

1. Legislative advocacy.
Talk to as many of your state Legislators as possible about all things HIV and money-related.

2. Peer Support Counseling.
Newbies so often have such hard times coming to grips with a diagnosis that once was a terrible issue before but has for some time been a chronic manageable issue. Peer support, people living with HIV counseling/educating/supporting/advising people living with HIV, in some areas is finally getting the attention it deserves; while in other places it's a pipe dream. The first place to look at is your own provider's office. If they don't offer support services, they should know what's happening in your county or state

2. Ryan White Care Program
The situation here in the States is different from Canada. Almost all, if not all, HIV care providers are connected with the Ryan White Program to make sure patients have access to care. Included in the law that created this program are mandates for methods to measure, evaluate, and improvement patient treatment and care. Although the focus is on patients who are financially eligible for RW services, similar to the old adage of a rising tide lifting all boats, as provider agencies improve care for RW-assisted patients, the quality of service is improved for all. The Ryan White program through regular reporting, regular quality meetings and with the input from people living with HIV has made great strides and America has much better numbers (more prevention, more diagnosed, more treated, more virally suppressed) that other countries. Based in part on the "Denver Principles" (https://www.seroproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/denver_principles-FINAL.pdf) and the saying "nothing about us, without us", local Providers, county-level health depts, and state-wide health depts are always looking for more input and assistance from people living with HIV. Talk to your provider about their inclusion of people living in HIV in their Ryan White Quality Management Program, or have them link you to the county or state Ryan White programs.

https://www.hiv.gov/hiv-basics/overview/data-and-trends/statistics
https://www.poz.com/article/88-people-hiv-receiving-ryan-white-care-viral-suppression
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.