Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:17:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: drug allergy. Please help me  (Read 2612 times)

Offline hungdv

drug allergy. Please help me
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:08:52 pm »
Hanoi, March 31, 2017
Dear Cytodyn,
My name is (NAME REDACTED BY POZ MODERATOR). This year I am 27 years old. I'm from viet nam.
I found infected with HIV in May 20-20. My CD4 was 486 at the time.
By June 2016, treatment begins.
The initial treatment regimen is TDF + 3TC + EFV. After drinking for 8 days, I started to have allergies. Flushed red body. Then I got a doctor to change medicine from EFV to NVP, but I got a week of allergy.
And then changed to TDF + 3TC + Lvp / r (lopitavir / ritonavir). After taking this regimen for 15 days I continued to have allergies. Doctors taking antihistamines such as Methylprednisolone, loratadine, ... but the situation also did not improve much. Because there are only two treatment regimens in Vietnam.
First line therapy is TDF + 3TC + EFV / NVP.
Secondary therapy is TDF + 3TC + Lvp / r.
So I have no choice but to continue to take second-line regimen.
Currently I have been maintaining this regimen for 8 months. But everyday I still suffer the terrible side effects as follows:
1. Skin is always burning, itching, redness and deepening. (Like a drinker). Especially about the afternoon dimension is very sleepy, no power to work. And my skin was dark and hot as fire burned.
2. The forearm, the forearm, the sides of the cheeks are fat.
3. Eating is easy for abdominal pain and out.
I am currently an IT employee in a software company. My job is to design software.
Since I started ARV, my life and work was so bad. I have self-motivated myself to try to overcome, there will be a miracle. But every day I face the side effects of ARV I really collapse. I do not have enough strength to go on.
Near the wire I have read the news about medicine PRO140 from your company. I have learned that PRO140 has very few side effects. I look forward to participating in the company's drug testing. I know that I am Vietnamese so it is very difficult to get access to new medicines. But now I do not know how to do so, so I write this letter hoping to receive a response from Cytodyn. Please let me live again and do it again. The 27-year-old is very young, and I want to do much good for society.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:26:23 pm by Ptrk3 »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: drug allergy. Please help me
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:46:33 pm »
hungdv:  I'm sorry to read that you are having a difficult time with your antiretroviral regimen. 

I have redacted your name from your post in order to protect your privacy because this forum is publicly accessible throughout the world.

Firstly, you are mistaken that these forums, which are designed as online support for HIV positive people and those who know them, is the entity conducting research and clinical trials for PRO140.  These forums have nothing to do with that effort.  Information about that company can be accessed through this link:

http://www.cytodyn.com/drug-pipeline/pro-140

contact information:

http://www.cytodyn.com/contact

Now, in terms of the issue you raise, there may be medications to alleviate the side effects from which you now suffer, since your treatment options are limited.  Please work closely with your medical providers to determine if other medications can help you.  Perhaps your medical provider can assist you in getting different antiretroviral regimens that are not readily available in your country, or is aware of a nonprofit group that can assist you in doing so. 

Also, sometimes these side effects do diminish in time (though I understand that you have been dealing with this for more than eight months).

Again, I am very sorry to read of your predicament and hope that you can find some relief from your side effects soon, but you must continue to take your medications in order to stop the virus from replicating in your body.

Perhaps other members of these forums who live in your area of the world can provide further information that may be useful to you.

I wish you well.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

OJO....i'M REALLY SORRY WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH WITH THE SIDE EFFECTS. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE TENOFOVIR MIGHT THE REASON OF YOUR SKIN PROBLEMS, I GUESS TOU HAVE TO SELF MOTIVATE YOURSELF, AND KEEP TRYING THE ANTIHISTAMINIC...I'M SO SORRY YOU GUYS HAVE NO MORE TREATMENT OPTIONS, I WISH I COULD FIND THE WORDS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER...WISHING YOU THE BEST AND KEEP US POSTED...CYBER HUG ON YOUR WAY                               OJO

Offline hungdv

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:51 am »
hungdv:  thank you very much. My English is not very good, so I hope everyone will understand.

At the center I am treating about 2000 patients. But only me is taking any medicine is allergic. I have asked the doctor any other regimen, then the answer is no longer, TDF + 3TC + Lvp / r regimen is the least allergic then. I have also tried AZT + 3TC + Lvp / r but there was no difference.

Last week I had my annual medical check-up. The ALT 87, AST 57, and triglyceride levels were 4.8, triple the normal. The arms and thighs shrank, looking like the child's. I had to change the size of my clothes because it was too big now.

In Vietnam, mainly used drugs are the old generation is quite toxic, do not know when to use drugs like Genvoya like you. I also have some friends in Vietnam who are HIV-infected MSM. But they take no medicine at all, only get drunk when sleeping at night. They are not allergic to drugs or lipodystrophy. I just wish they were like them to return to normal life. With TDF + 3TC + Lvp / r, one day I have to take 7 pills, 3 pills in the morning and 4 pills in the evening. When going to work or going away to avoid suspicion, I have to go to the toilet to take medicine. I do not know how long it will take, by 2020 or 2030 .......
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:30:01 am by hungdv »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:10:56 am »
Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems with rash and reaction.
I have not seen anything on Vietnam, I had a look and found a slide listing the below as treatment options.

First line:
d4T +3TC + NPV -  d4T + 3TC +  EFV         
ZDV +  3TC +  NVP - ZDV +  3TC +  EFV

2nd line:
TDF/ ABC +  ddI +  LPV/r or SQV/r or NFV

Its a slightly old reference, finding new info on Vietnam and HIV treatment is not proving easy. Its  from Dr.Nguyen Van Kinh -Head, Department of care and treatment  http://www.who.int/hiv/amds/vietnam.ppt

If asking them next time for something different does not work next time round, than perhaps considering asking them if resistance testing can be done and allergies tests and under agreed supervision, and if affordable importing yourself generic drugs from abroad (If that is legal where you are?)

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.