Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 358
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: June POZ Magazine "The Sound of Stigma"  (Read 5788 times)

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
June POZ Magazine "The Sound of Stigma"
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:41 am »
Has this been discussed here? Sorry if it's a duplicate thread.

http://www.poz.com/articles/sound_of_stigma_2776_23873.shtml

Just curious what you all think. :) The part I quoted below struck me, on account of I am one of those, and I've felt those looks from other positive people. Or at least hallucinated them. The looks, not the people. Well, actually I guess I can't be too sure about that. Anyway:

"Gay men who get infected today are out of their minds. They are the failed ones, the grave disappointments, the apathetic, the careless, the irresponsible. They spit upon the memories of our courageous dead. They have no respect for our history, for our monumental tragedy.

We might make motions to comfort them, but it is the kind of patronizing back-patting that we reserve for the truly stupid. We tell them they will be fine, really, and we don’t look them in the eyes for very long. Our weary judgment shows. "
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: June POZ Magazine "The Sound of Stigma"
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:20 am »
The writer of this quote is a middle-aged gay man and HIV+ since the 80s.  The quote is a sort of speaking in tongues.  Meaning he is writing it with the "we" - he's saying "we" think that way.

I don't think very many mature gay men would ever feel or think this way.  Neither HIV+ nor HIV-.   Maybe a few.  Sorry for them.  Its vile. 

The author's use of the "we" fails his piece.  Because I don't belong to the "we" -- I am offended by the author "speaking in tongues" - supposedly on my behalf, or supposedly a good part of the "community" (but iI think not) -- and writing such offensive, vile, hatred. 

HIV- for many years I never felt that way about someone becoming positive. HIV+ for a few years, I haven't had anyone judge me in this way, expect myself for awhile, and then I got over the self judgment.

Nobody but nobody showed such me such a silly reaction as he proposes exists. Newly infected "spit on the memories of our courageous dead".  ????  Please....   

I think maybe its just bad writing.  Hope so.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:59 am »
To make sense of the quote, you need to read the whole artilce. Mark S King is representing a particular point of view in the quoted paras.

The piece exaggerates for emphasis but I find Mr King's hit a certain nail of the head (hard, as ever). Sure, it's not the whole story but I recognise a lot of the dynamic he sets out, even if it appears quietly and by stealth more than with obvious venom.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:49:17 am »
I think that this article was wonderfully written,i think it rings true with alot of us here even though we might  not be willing to admit it!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 08:10:38 am »
The part of the article that stood out the most for me was this paragraph:

Take a hard look at HIV-negative gay men. They are the superior ones, the corrupt morality police, the hypocrites, the gentlemen in waiting. Above all else they are the supremely lucky, because they can’t possibly live by the crushing code of conduct they impose on the rest of us.

It has been my experience that those who were the most judgemental/stigmatising in regard to hiv positive people (gay and straight) before their own diagnosis are the people who have the hardest time adjusting to being poz. They're quite often the ones who cower in the depths of the hiv closet, fully expecting others to judge them as they would have judged poz people before them. I find it heartbreaking.

Obviously (I hope it's obvious) I'm not talking about every negative person, nor every positive person, nor do I believe Mr King was either. There are plenty of these people about though, and I've seen more than my fair share of them both in this forum and in real life.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:44 am »
I haven't read the article yet, but what I find the most off-putting is post-infection morality.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:57 am »
I haven't read the article yet, but what I find the most off-putting is post-infection morality.

Could you elaborate please? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Maybe I'm just having a "senior moment", dunno.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:50 am »
Could you elaborate please? I'm not sure what you're getting at. Maybe I'm just having a "senior moment", dunno.

I'm not getting at anything, just thinking out loud. Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a double standard. People post something and then are lectured about their behavior by people who have done the exact same thing. It just bothers me.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
As usual,  Mark S. King is right on the money.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:58 am »
Sure, sure. I didn't mean to pull a quote out of its context. It's just the one I was looking at at the the time. Mr. King is using rhetorical flourish. He spends the next few paragraphs framing other people this way, asking if be recognize the sound of stigma in all of these statements.

I'm pretty much always against soundbites. The quote was meant to be an intro to read the rest. ;)

To make sense of the quote, you need to read the whole artilce. Mark S King is representing a particular point of view in the quoted paras.

The piece exaggerates for emphasis but I find Mr King's hit a certain nail of the head (hard, as ever). Sure, it's not the whole story but I recognise a lot of the dynamic he sets out, even if it appears quietly and by stealth more than with obvious venom.

- matt

Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:06 am »
I'm not getting at anything, just thinking out loud. Sometimes there seems to be a bit of a double standard. People post something and then are lectured about their behavior by people who have done the exact same thing. It just bothers me.

Well, now I'm confused as to not only what you're getting at, but also who you're getting at. :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:40 am »
Personally I quite enjoy continually judging the behavior of everyone else.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:58:07 am »
Well, now I'm confused as to not only what you're getting at, but also who you're getting at. :-\

Sorry, I can't understand your confusion. It's just an observation that is not directed at anyone in particular. Post- infection morality is when others judge people's behavior with a bit of condescension and without the caveat of "look I've been there, done that."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:09:17 am by Dachshund »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 10:11:41 am »
Sorry, I can't understand your confusion. It's just an observation that is not directed at anyone in particular. Post- infection morality is when others judge people's behavior with a bit of condescension and without the caveat of "look I've been there, done that."

Fair enough. Chalk it down to a senior moment then. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 04:20:40 pm »
I read the article three times, adjusting my context with each reading.  What I take from Mark is the sound of stigma, in words that reflect the attitude of many segments of the HIV and the negative community.  His words, while being his own, do not reflect his real views, rather they are constructed to illustrate the silence of stigma in the most powerful fashion possible, for the written word.

As I read each "viewpoint", I could recollect a specific place, person and time that reflected these attitudes to the letter.  Sadly, I could remember many examples of all the stigma, that continues to this day.  In a way, even after thirty years into this pandemic, some folks are still living for the thrill of demeaning others.

Through my eyes, the gay community has often seemed to be our own worst enemy.  I never understood this need to demean others, especially given that we have almost always been viewed as abhorrent or worse.  His analogy of a snake eating its tale seems apt indeed.

I've lived with most of the stigmas that the author references and his words right true to me for far too many folks.  I will never understand how demeaning another human being can ever elevate anyone.  I'm saddened by our collective loss of humanity for others, because that is the seed that must be sown, for stigma and discrimination to grow.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.