Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:22:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 623
Total: 625

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Birthday & HIV Birthday -- which do you celebrate?  (Read 7112 times)

Offline Pozzie_AK

• Just Jon
    • My MySpace Profile
Birthday & HIV Birthday -- which do you celebrate?
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:26:12 pm »
I'm one of those people who have two birthdays -- my 'born' birthday and my 'hiv' birthday (which is the date I was diagnosed) -- does anyone celebrate these?

The funny thing about mine is -- they are a week apart -- which gives me a longer celebration of my life (so to speak).

I'd love to get other peoples input on this.

Thanks!

Jon  (Pozzie_AK)

p.s.  My birthday is on Nov. 4th ( turning 36 ) and my HIV birthday is on Nov. 11th ( turning 8 ) and all I want for both is -- OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT! :)
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

Offline weasel

Re: Birthday & HIV Birthday -- which do you celebrate?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
It must be nice to get the present you WANT :)

I  have a birthday  on August 22nd

I have  MY DAY  September 10th , official AIDS day disaster  :o

On December 1st  my TWIN  sends me an  " IT " day   Card , i look forword to getting

the AIDS DAY card !

best to you all ,

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:25 pm »
Hey Jon, I'm a November 4th baby too, only I'll be 46 this time around. It falls on the US election day this year - last time that happened I turned 18 and got Ronald Reagan for a prezzie - in both senses of the word. I was NOT happy! :(

And hell yes, I celebrate my birthday. This year I'm having a day trip to Liverpool - for my hiv clinic appointment. I'll probably be staying overnight though, as my bf also has a clinic appointment the same day (nov 4) and as long as he can take two days off work, we're going to have an overnight celebration, Scouse style. (we live on the Isle of Man but our hiv clinic is on the mainland) We could both do with a mini-break and what better excuse than a birthday? ;D

I used to not quite celebrate, but "mark" my diagnosis anniversary - I call it "D-Day". It's February 22, 2001 for me, but I was too busy living my life and getting re-acquainted with my bf (got back together after a ten year hiatus) to notice this year. I think I realised a few days later that I'd missed it.

Happy birthday to us, Jon! Scorpios rock! ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Pozzie_AK

• Just Jon
    • My MySpace Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO US!

:P
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:16:55 pm »
Hey Jon,

I will vote for your birthday and hope very much you get your gift.  Personally, my born B Day falls over Memorial Day weekend on most years and everyone is already out partying, I just join in.  My HIV B Day is quite close to Christmas, a holiday I don't celebrate so that day is left out.  My AIDS diagnosis day is June 24, 1996 and I think of it but... My Quit Smoking Day is May 13, 2008 and I plan to celebrate that one  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:24:11 pm »

I will vote for your birthday and hope very much you get your gift. 

Michael, I think if I get a Republican again this year, my head will explode. When Ronnie Rayguns got in, I made the vote by the day. The student house I was living in threw a combination birthday/election day party and it was ... dismal. It started off ok but as the night went on and results came in, everyone got drunkenly morose. Or was that morosely drunken? ~shrug~ Whichever, it sucked!!!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 09:53:02 pm »
Michael, I think if I get a Republican again this year, my head will explode.

Mine too Ann,

I was in the clinic for labs yesterday, talking to some of the other patients about the McCain/Palin ticket in the waiting room.  To be a patient at our clinic, you have to be on Medicare, Medi-Cal or Ryan White.  Any other insurance goes to another clinic.  Of the 3 other patients in that waiting room, 3 of 3 were still impressed wth Sarah Palin and planning on voting the Republican ticket.  Fortunately, I had blood draw and also has to piss in a vial.  When I owe piss, I pay my dues. 

Having gone through the last 3 years as a volunteer on the budget committees, this election has me wound up tighter than a main spring.  When Ronald Rayguns was running for Governor of California, I kept telling everyone I ran into (who would listen), his Presidency of the Screen Actors Guild and his bad acting movies was not enough experience to be Governor of California.  He won and put the state in debt.

I lived within a few blocks of Governor Dukemagien (there is no way, I am going to be able to spell his name).  He went to the Director of the CAMP program to the Governors office.  I had a radio talk show in L.A. for a couple of years on employer/employee issues.  I sponsored a "Town Hall" meeting at the Sheraton LAX with 200 of the movers and shakers of the business community, Gov Wilson was my Keynote Speaker, he failed to show because... Ronald and Nancy were hosting a fund raiser in Beverly Hills, he all of a sudden could not attend.  An unshaven person in a wrinkled suit was told to wake up, show up and talk about NAFTA.  He was a disaster.

I had 9 or 10 business contacts who were running for Governor, down the list to the Insurance Commissioner, that I knew well and would not vote for any of them.  That was the year Grey Davis was elected.  I met Assemblyman Mountjoy at my first public speaking event.  It was the Chamer of Commerce meeting on Workers' Comp Insurance, he was the Keynote Speaker, I was the closing speaker.  He was a lot of support in my line of work because at the time, Assemblyman Mountjoy -R, was considered the premier advocate in workers' comp reform in the state.   My company was kind of the front-runner in safety program designs.  I did not vote for him when he ran for Senate.

I spent many conversations with voters in my small town community when Arnold Schwartzenegger began the recall election and ran against all those other candidates, Child Actor Gary Coleman finished in the top 10 candidates.  I didn't think his business success with Golds Gym and the failure of Planet Hollywood was enough experience to be Gov.  I believe the voters of California were collectively stupid when he was elected Joinarnold.com but anything can happen, we have 2 bad actors and Jerry Brown was carried socially by Linda Ronstad and anything can happen.

We, as of last nights debate saw Barack Obama has won all 3 Presidential Debates by large margins.  I am afraid the voters will become collectively stupid and vote in the Veteran and the Soccer mom, while benefits will become taxed and HIV budgets will be cut even deeper than in the last 8 years.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:39:48 pm »
Ever since I didn't die from PCP when I was in the hospital one year on my bday (mar 14th) or when I didn't die two years later back in the hospital on my bday with regular pnuemonia, I've been quite happy to celebrate the wonders of turning older. ;D Heck! I would have never imagined back that 36 when I was that sick, that I'd still be kicking around now a decade later. WooHoo!  ;D

I don't celebrate my diagnosis day though. That falls on Dec 26, and the day after Christmas is usually a let-down anyway without thinking about getting the bad news 16 yrs ago.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:25:14 am »
I think a birthday for a microorganism is a bit much, but any excuse for a party I suppose!

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:46:49 am »
I am totally at ease & peace with my hiv infection (1992), but it's not a milestone or memento I am rejoicing or celebrating

Offline carousel

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 05:18:13 am »
As I get older, my birthday gets less important, though I do like to celebrate in some way.

Turned 40 a couple of weeks ago, which fell in the middle of my holiday in South Africa.  It was a rather sedate affair, dinner followed by drinks.

Also had a little celebration with friends in London before I went away.  So had two chances to celebrate.  The fact I turned 40 was something I thought about quite a lot, mainly because I can't believe that it happened so quickly.

Never celebrate the day I'm diagnosed.  I usually remember after the date, as it falls around a bank holiday and just think that another year has passed and how glad I am that all the angst around it has pretty much subsided.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 06:58:01 am »
I am totally at ease & peace with my hiv infection (1992), but it's not a milestone or memento I am rejoicing or celebrating

I am a newbie - neither at ease nor at peace.

It's curious but I don't remember a specific diagnosis date. Which date do you all consider? The confirmation of the Poz status or the first poz test?? 

To each his own.  Even when Im at peace in the future, I can't imagine celebrating a nasty virus infection as a birthday. (Even if it brings good with the challenges.)  Its strikes me, personally, as perverse.  But if it works for you!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 09:01:06 am »

To each his own.  Even when Im at peace in the future, I can't imagine celebrating a nasty virus infection as a birthday. (Even if it brings good with the challenges.)  Its strikes me, personally, as perverse.  But if it works for you!

I do NOT find it a depressing day ANYMORE  :)

It was the begining of a new way of life .

It was the start of a new way to look at life , My partner reconfirmed his love and told me he would never
leave , unless i decided i wanted a HIV POS lover  :o

We moved to the OZARK  mountains , still building house ........................... :P
 I was able to get out of the rat race .
 Now i pretty much do what i want , right now the trees are turning orange ,i am drinking coffee ,computing  :)
honey gets up late , His ticker is bad ,so he needs more rest than me .

LIFE IS GOOD , We are sort of poor . Well we are poor !

But the joy of just living in peace is worth the " disaster " of the horrid day a doctor told me i would croak !

get joy anyway you can ,

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:28 am »

It's curious but I don't remember a specific diagnosis date. Which date do you all consider? The confirmation of the Poz status or the first poz test?? 

Mecch -- since you're "a newbie," I can see why you might not understand why anyone would "celebrate" this.

Back in the old days, we used to worry that each and every year would be our last.  So surviving another year was worth celebrating.  I'm actually looking forward now to November 15th, 2010 -- my 25th anniversary of finding out I'm poz, and SURVIVING each of those years.

Make sense now?  Still think I'm being "perverse"?

Peter

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:44 am »

I don't celebrate either one, but I have a good reason for doing so.  I usually don't realize the anniversary date/birthday til a week too late.  I do have a fairly funny story concerning my anniversary date though. 

I was diagnosed on September 14, 2005.

Two years ago I decided to get a huge tattoo on my left shoulder/back area of a cross with the bio hazard symbol in the middle, marijuana leaf flowing from the bottom, iron cross/clover for my German-Irish heritage, and the word hazardous flowing across the whole thing.  Problem was I was so blitzed from some good herb I smoked I gave the wrong date.

So at the bottom of the tattoo, very large for the world to see it says :  September 15, 2006!  That date means absolutely nothing to me!  Just one of my many screw ups lol.

Edited to add:

Mecch, some of us have found our own unique ways of accepting this disease.  Whether it be a birthday or getting a tat with the wrong date on it, it kind of helps us take ownership/control over something that  we have no control over.  It might seem perverse, slightly morbid even...  with time you may feel the same who knows.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:56:36 am by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 03:10:49 pm »

Make sense now?  Still think I'm being "perverse"?

Peter

Ok celebrating survival, thats a nice way of looking at it... So here's to many more!

It seems perverse to me, personally, and I do not think you Peter, or anyone who celebrates is perverse.  As I said in my post, if it works for you!  I see the good and the bad in the changes HIV brings to my life, as I also said in my original post.

Skeebo, funny story about the tat. Finally kind of touching! Bravo.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:55:26 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 06:30:17 pm »
I don't recall the exact date of my diagnosis, though I have a copy of the lab test filed away somewhere.  I know the year, and it was the week before July 4th.  It's really not that important to me.

Birthdays I can take or leave.

However, I do annually celebrate the anniversary of my first teenage orgasm, as it falls on Easter.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline atlq

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 06:34:23 pm »

However, I do annually celebrate the anniversary of my first teenage orgasm, as it falls on Easter.

And Jesus wept.....
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »
Only the birthday.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 06:53:47 pm »
I'm one of those people who have two birthdays -- my 'born' birthday and my 'hiv' birthday (which is the date I was diagnosed) -- does anyone celebrate these?

The funny thing about mine is -- they are a week apart -- which gives me a longer celebration of my life (so to speak).

I'd love to get other peoples input on this.

Thanks!

Jon  (Pozzie_AK)

p.s.  My birthday is on Nov. 4th ( turning 36 ) and my HIV birthday is on Nov. 11th ( turning 8 ) and all I want for both is -- OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT! :)

I do it every JUNE since 1987, and my B-day NOV 9th  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 07:16:43 pm »
So what do you people do to celebrate your HIV diagnosis?  Spread blood over your front door like Moses did in The Ten Commandments to bring on the plague of the firstborn?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline atlq

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »
So what do you people do to celebrate your HIV diagnosis?  Spread blood over your front door like Moses did in The Ten Commandments to bring on the plague of the firstborn?

Its like you can read my mind....
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 08:55:17 pm »

Its like you can read my mind....

I'm scurd (lol)

but seriously, I just remember it was in the spring before I graduated high school  that I tested poz, but I don't really think about it to much.  My birthday is a bit more important, but I don't really make a big thing of that either.
I just look forward to my next dive vacation or travel to a new country each year.

Sharkie
(from Sacto)

Offline Graywolf

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 08:44:17 am »
I was born in May 1947, the same years as the transistor and Roswell crash. Now that I'm 61 i have no celebrated my b-day since i wa sin my 40's.

I got sober on July 4, 1985 and got my poz test resuly in July 11, 1985 (a day that will live in infamy). Clearly remember both my sobriety date adn diagnosis, the first being a celebrationof life, the second (back in 85) being a death sentence. I remember the king, matronly woman with long gray hair handing me a box of kleenex as she read me my test results, "do you understand what I have told you" and my respons ewas yeah, "I think I'll step out in front of a bus after I leave" (which I didn't) I wandered around in a fog gor months after that and decided to go back out drinking, hoping to drink myself to death until July 4, 1989 when I stopped drinking for good. From 1982 to 1995 I watched as almost everyone I knew passed away, but I was still here.

It's been so long now that I don't celebrate any milestones, just another day in paradise
"If we don't learn to live as brothers, we will perish as fools" - Dr martin Luther King Jr

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.