Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 652
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pregnant with the help of PrEP!  (Read 8850 times)

Offline magneticlove

Pregnant with the help of PrEP!
« on: May 24, 2014, 06:50:28 pm »
I figured I'd post this in case this helps anyone else...or maybe it will put a smile on someone's face today.  :)

I posted on here a few times regarding myself (negative, on Truvada for PrEP) and my boyfriend (positive, undetectable, on meds).  Truvada has really been an AWESOME experience for me and has given me so much mental freedom.  Not that it was a constant worry, but, you know, it tends to lay in the back of your mind on occasion when you have unprotected sex, EVEN THOUGH there aren't any cases of transmission with an individual with an undetectable viral load.  So, Truvada has REALLY helped me a lot to let go and feel more free.  :)

Its also now helped us get pregnant.  :)

I'm so excited, and my boyfriend is too.  This is both of our first child.  We're in our early thirties.  If I hadn't gotten onto the Truvada, I wouldn't be as worry free.  I have my first OBGYN appointment in about a week.  I am nervous about telling the doctor about our situation, because I've had bad experiences with doctors basically being discriminatory and/or treating ME like crap because of our relationship.  So, I will tell the doctor about my boyfriend's diagnosis and tell her that I'm on Truvada, but, reluctantly.  (Side note: we've considered me discontinuing the Truvada for pregnancy, but there really is no reason to; also, as much as we could plan to have 100% protected sex for the next 7.5 months, honestly, its just not gonna happen.) 

Sooooo, wish me luck!  :)
Boyfriend <3 = positive, undetectable, on ARV's
Me = negative, on Truvada for PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Pregnant with the help of PrEP!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:00:32 pm »
Im am wishing you the best of luck as requested .... and congratualations and cyber hugs . And now Im going to ask you to post updates and baby pics when the time arrives .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phoenix

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 07:58:30 am »
congratulations on your forthcoming blessing. Best of luck. :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.                              The point of the journey is not to arrive.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:31:47 am »
I wish to offer my congratulations and a more cautionary tone. From the NIH post on Truvada, and I tend to trust the NIH about lots of things ...I offer the following excerpt.

"If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Whether Truvada can harm an unborn baby is unknown."

http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/drugs/406/emtricitabine---tenofovir-disoproxil-fumarate/0/patient

That statement alone, cries out for a closer look at condoms for a finite period (and small period of 7.5 months) versus unknowns for an unknown period of time.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »
Congrats Magnetic!  Wishing you the best
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline magneticlove

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 12:10:48 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I did click on that link....thanks for the info.  Truvada is "category B", which basically means there are no WELL-CONTROLLED human studies.  Animal studies have shown it to be safe, and human studies have shown the same. 

I'm meeting my OBGYN next week to discuss it with her.  I'm probably going to have to come off of it to breastfeed, and thus, I don't see my boyfriend and I using condoms for what amounts to probably 1.5-2 years.  Being reality-based.  I want maximum protection for myself and the baby, especially during pregnancy/breastfeeding.

To be continued.... 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »
You're gonna be a great mom!

Offline kitty242

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 12:59:54 pm »
I'm so happy for you! And thanks for sharing your experience:)

My husband and I are in a similar situation, and we were hoping to still get pregnant down the road. You've given me a lot of hope:)

Offline magneticlove

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:23:25 pm »
Thanks Kitty!  I really don't know if we would have gotten pregnant without the PrEP, because he wasn't regularly ejaculating in me....so, for us, it's a great option. I went to my first OB appointment this week and told the doctor the medication I'm on and she didn't voice any concerns about it....and actually, I've now read additional information that states that it looks like it can be used during breast feeding too!  That makes me feel good.....

I also got tested last week (as scheduled!) and it was the only HIV test I've ever gotten IN MY LIFE (lol) that I wasn't super scared. I'm also getting my regular bloodwork (testing kidneys, etc.), this week and I'm very confident that will come out good too. All good news!

Kitty, I wish you and your partner the best of luck. Feel free to PM me anytime. We're in a unique situation that can be challenging to share with others.

Thank you too, Emerald. I am confident that me and my boyfriend will be awesome parents. :)

Offline magneticlove

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:34 pm »
I have a very sad update with bad news. I found out that the baby stopped growing several weeks ago and there is no heartbeat. The baby passed. I am waiting for nature to take it's course in terms of a miscarriage now because I want to avoid any surgery or medicine if possible. My heart feels like it's been ripped out of my chest and jumped on repeatedly. I feel so broken and empty.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:35:13 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 03:12:44 pm »
Im so sorry . (((HUGS)))
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:28 am »
My heart goes out to you Magnetic, i am so sorry.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline stuka

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:31:10 am »
Hi magneticlove, I can relate to your story very well. My own family went through this twice. Please know (and I'm sure your doc has already told this to you) that this is more common that you would think. But many many people have healthy babies after a few miscarriages.

I know the feelings of despair and emptiness but please do not give up hope. The only advice I can give you is to take your time before trying again and not to share the news with anyone except those closest to you until the the end of the first trimester. And most of all, please know that miscarriages are quite common, and unless one has other complications, most people eventually do succeed.

Offline magneticlove

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 07:42:58 pm »
Thank you so much for your kind words of support, I truly appreciate it. 

My partner and I are understandably devastated.  This last week has been the worst of my life in terms of depression, raw emotion, constant crying, and so on.  The only upside is that this has brought my partner and I so much closer together.  He is truly the most loving and caring man I have ever known.  There is no one else who could have taken care of me during this tough time as he has.  <3

I recently completed the miscarriage, physically speaking.  Now we are waiting until my cycle returns, and then a month after THAT, we can start trying again. 

Oh, and, side note, I had discussed the PrEP with both my OB and my PCP (my prescriber) and both of them approved it and said it was fine.  In fact, my PCP said that pregnant women are at an INCREASED risk for acquiring HIV due to their immune systems being suppressed during pregnancy, or something like that.

At any rate, I WILL BE BACK with happier news later!!!  I guarantee you that!  :)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:07 pm »
Hey Maggie,

Good on you and your partner.

Also good to read your docs have given you the green light on Prep.

May we count on you go keep us posted?

Best
Em

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 06:30:17 am »
Sorry I missed this thread earlier.  So sorry for your loss. 

take care and best of luck.

greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline magneticlove

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:02 pm »
Thanks everyone, again.

We are actively trying to conceive again.  I am still on PrEP.  Fingers crossed!!!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.