Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:06:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 506
Total: 508

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: after 17 yrs, over 300 and the 1st yr undetectable  (Read 4895 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
after 17 yrs, over 300 and the 1st yr undetectable
« on: May 15, 2009, 12:22:05 am »
May is an odd month of "anniversaries" for me. I still mourn for Randy who has been gone for 15 years; while I am still in some deep grief that Jim has been gone for the first year now. My domain (reigningpages.com) and computer-help "business" (ReigningPages/ComputerTutor) are both 11 years old this month. And at my doctor appt. yesterday, I found out that I first started seeing this doctor 8 years ago this month.

Back then, about a year and a half after my second hospitalization with pneumonia and back off any meds (resistance issues and there were no more meds to try), I only had 44 t-cells and my viral load was 176,000. I switched to this doctor, who was much kinder than my previous doctor* and more willing to try the newer meds coming out in 2001 to find a combo that would work for me. (*looking back now, I see that my first doctor was having personal issues watching his AIDS patients passing away. He's now been banned from the area hospitals and is having many legal problems from his drunk-driving.) Unfortunately by May, 2003, I was back down to 69 t-cells and a viral load of 300,000. However, the doc and I finally got the right combo that didn't make me sick and was going the trick (Reyataz, Norvir, Viread, Videx EC). By May 2004, thanks to my doc's help, my adherence and the love of a good man, I reached my first undetectable viral load ever in those first 14 years of having AIDS.

Now, for the second time in the last 12 years, my t-cells have actually gone higher than 300. Back in Feb of 2007, they climbed to 311, before falling back into the low 200 range that has keep me on Bactrim (as a prophylaxis against PCP pneumonia) for all the years. Unbelievably, the results this time came back at a super 305! And since it's been a year since the last time I had a blip in my viral load (2500 in 4/08), I just lived my first whole year (out of the last 17) with an undetectable viral load the whole year!!

I had some extra good news out of this visit to see the doctor - I get to drop a med!! With my t-cells holding so stable, I don't have to take the antibiotic Bactrim anymore. Of course, that isn't the one that makes me barf, so I would have happily kept on taking it LOL (norvir is the culprit in the nausea). It'll be odd not taking this pill as it's the ONE med that I have never slacked off taking in the 11 years since I last had pneumonia. But I'm sure not complaining about losing a med - no way! I started off taking 24 pills a day, hit a high of 32, and now I'm down to only 6 a day - 2 first thing in the morning and 4 with dinner every night. WooHoo!

The only downside on this visit to see the doctor was my doctor himself. He seemed a bit envious of how healthy I looked and my incredibly low 146 cholesterol level. Not surprising either, as he was also looking pretty gaunt, like he had been through some sort of illness himself. I probably should have just asked if he had been ill; but I was surprised by the change in him since the first of the year. I sure hope he's doing okay. I've already outlived two partners, 8 cooker spaniels, and a ton of friends, I'll be very distressed, if my "quit-smoking curse" acts up and I end up outliving my doctor too. ::) ;D

celebrating 305 tcells and 90+ days smoke-free,
mikie
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: after 17 yrs, over 300 and the 1st yr undetectable
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:51:13 am »
Hey Mikie,

Congrats on the T-cells!  ;D

Oh, and the three months of smoke-free living. That is fantastic.

Keep it up!

HUGS,

Mark

(Who still is glad he quit smoking.)
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:39:11 am »
What wonderful news!  Thanks for sharing and great big congratulations!!!

Hugs & Stuff,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 08:31:10 am »
Its great that you can celebrate the GOOD STUFF.....congrats.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »
Hi Mikie~

I just got back online after a few months away.  I am so glad to read your good report!  I know you've had it rough, esp last year with Jim.  You are such a good soul, Mikie, and I only wish good things for you!  Yay!

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.