Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:16:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773211
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 474
Total: 477

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Spirulina  (Read 9211 times)

Offline chico_mkd

Spirulina
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:08:26 pm »
is there anyone who is using "spirulina" to improve immune system? i just started to use it. I'm not yet on medical treatment. Thanks in advance

(sorry for may bad English) 

Offline chico_mkd

Spirulina
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:14:47 pm »
is there anyone who is using "spirulina" to improve immune system? i just started to use it. I'm not yet on medical treatment. Thanks in advance

(sorry for may bad English)

Offline surf18

Re: spirulina
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »
I used it and my cd 4 actually went down

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Spirulina
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »
Good luck, there is no decent research that suggests it works for people with HIiV.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline chico_mkd

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:17:40 pm »
I'm aware of that . I'm not expecting this to increase count of CD4's or decrease viral load, but just to feel more active

anyway, thanks for replaying

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
I used to put Spirulina into my carrot juice for that added kick & boost, I don't think it will hurt you, after all it's used as a nutritional supplement  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline buginme2

Re: spirulina
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 03:38:58 am »
Prob will do nothing to help your immune system.

However, an Odwalla Superfood Juice is quite tasty and the spirulina gives it a lovely shade of green.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
Hi Chico, welcome to the forums!

You posted this same thread in two different forums - the Treatment forum and the Living forum.

There's two problems with this, but you're not in "trouble", you're just not used to this place yet so please don't feel bad or feel "told off", I only want to help you learn how to use these forums.

One problem is you should only post a thread about the same thing in one place. Posting multiple threads that are the same, in several different forums, is considered to be spamming and as such is bad netiquette. 

Additionally, when you post the same question in more than one forum, it can make it difficult for you to keep track of the answers you get. It will be easier for you to follow when it's all in one place. This is probably the most important reason to not post in several places about the same thing. You might miss an important response when you do that.

The other thing is that as spirulina is a dietary supplement, it belongs here in the Nutrition forum. I've merged your threads into one and moved it here for you.

Again, please don't feel bad about this and I'm not mad at you, I'm just doing my job and I'm happy to help. Don't let this little slip stop you from starting other new threads or otherwise participating in the forums. We all miss-post from time to time, it's not a big deal.

About the spirulina, it probably won't hurt, just don't expect it to do anything directly related to your hiv infection.

The best thing you can do is to eat a well-balanced, healthy diet and maybe take a standard multivitamin. Drink plenty of water as well.

Make sure you're getting enough rest too. Your body needs good, deep sleep to stay healthy at the best of times and right now it's fighting a virus, every day, all day.

Also, if you're stressed out about your recent diagnosis, that stress can make you feel more tired than normal.

Hang in there, it gets better in time.

Hugs,
Ann

edited for clarity - I hope! ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:12:26 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline chico_mkd

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 10:56:51 am »
Thank you Ann for your instructions and I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I'm still getting used to this forum. I'm totally confused about the situation that is happened to me.. crying all the time.. I think I can't handle it  :'(

In my country there is only 59 cases of HIV infection and only one doctor (specialized for HIV infection) in whole country. That's why I need help from anywhere.

Thank you all for your help, I'll keep posting 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:51 pm »
Hey Chico,

I used to take spirulina all the time. It was in the early days, before we had any real treatments and people were trying all kinds of things to stay healthy.

I don't know for sure that it helped me stay healthy and feel better, but it didn't hurt.

I used to mix mine into a smoothie, but you should use a blender. It is so dry it doesn't mix well, just clumps.

I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis, and that you seem a bit isolated in your country of residence.

Remember we are always here for you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.