Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lost your job because you disclosed you were HIV positive?  (Read 6157 times)

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
Lost your job because you disclosed you were HIV positive?
« on: March 10, 2007, 06:34:15 am »
I am an attorney in NY who has been positive for 27 years. That we can sue for HIV/AIDS discrimination is not news for most of you, but if you believe that you have been the victim of discrimination after you disclosed your HIV status to your employer, I'd like to hear from you.  I might be interested in taking on your cause.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 04:42:56 pm by wishihadacat »
Your name here  X_______________

Offline Zanarkand

• All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Re: Lost your job because you disclosed you were HIV positive?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 07:12:13 am »
Wohoo! You go wishihadacat! ^^
I don't think  it happens much in todays society but if it does we always have people like you!
:P
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:07 am »
I wish I had had you 6 years ago when someone took it upon themselves to tell my boss of my status.  After which that led to harassment and being ostracized and eventually being fired.  Unfortunately I was still young enough and naive enough to believe them when they said there was no way I had a case and I might as well drop it.  I'm glad there are people like you that can be turned to and can help.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 07:54:51 am »
Wohoo! You go wishihadacat! ^^
I don't think  it happens much in todays society but if it does we always have people like you!
:P

I don't have an personal experience to tell. Just to let you know, Zanarkand, it happens in the most civil of societies. Listen Up: A small town in USA. A worker gets HIV and mistakenly tells one of his co-workers. News gets around. He doesn't get fired. What happens is he is shunned by everyone of his co-workers. It is impossible to tell if the company is instigating any of this--if they are, it's not apparent. He finally quits because no one will work alongside him. He just gives up and feels beat up. Poor sap. I feel bad for him but he made himself vulnerable and gave up without talking to a lawyer.
Just goes to show you, it happens quietly and people lose their jobs and means of a livelihood because of fear and misinformed public. I also want to say that some people just don't give a damn even though they are informed and aware. They don't want to be bothered with those infected. BTW, he wasn't gay. That factor didn't play into the scenario. In a very quiet manner some are being discriminated against. In ways that are not a direct violation of the law, but it's still happening. Today. Yesterday. Tomorrow.

spelling errors corrected........again.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 07:57:09 am by mjmel »

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:04:32 am »
It does still happen, even though it shouldn't. Whether you are gay or straight, black or white, male or female, the law prohibits this kind of conduct, and we do not have to put up with it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 08:56:26 am by wishihadacat »

Offline zeb

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:53:00 am »
Hi,

In the Netherlands employees are protected by law. But there are some circumstances where people do get fired. For example when employers find out when  a worker is poz in his so called trial period when starting with the job.
One of the reasons why employers wants to get rid of hiv positives is that when an employee get's sick the employer still has to pay his salary. When an employee ends up disable the employer has to pay an extra penalty (even if this disability is caused by private circumstances like playing football or having unprotected sex).

What also often happens is that career chances suddenly are over, so hiv+ people will try to find another job.

The Netherlands may sound so liberal, the reality is that when you're health is fine and you really want to make a career it's better not to disclose.

Zeb

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 10:29:40 am »
Human nature is to avoid people who remind one of their own mortality.  I have seen this happen to people with cancer and other terminal issues.  It's not right nor fair but it's what people do.  It's wrong and everyone needs to know what their rights are and to fight for what is theirs.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline poodlelover

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:54:40 am »
This happened to me.  I wasn't fired but pushed and pushed until my doctor just said I'm putting you on disability.  The people i worked with were wonderful but my boss was a real bitch and kept threatening to fire me if i missed another day of work.  I had a high stress job as it was and she made my life miserable after finding out about my status.  Being in the medical field I would have thought I would have had a little more compassion.  So, here I am now almost 8 years later on disability and bored out of my mind.
Connie

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 02:46:04 pm »
It really is a shame that you were put through the grinder. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to post legal advice here, but eight years is a long time, and putting statute of limitations issues aside, it also becomes more difficult to prove that your former employer nudged you out the door because of your HIV.

As we all know, HIV/AIDS discrimination suits have been successful for many years; it's amazing that this kind of behavior still goes on though. Most of the time its because the victims are too afraid of being stigmatized in the community, and it truly sucks.

The same fear, and the practical difficulty of collecting a judgment from a defendant who has no assets, often prevents many women and men who were infected by bad guys who knew they were positive but had unsafe sex without disclosing from pursuing a case. In time, that stigma will (one hopes) diminish.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:50:49 pm by wishihadacat »

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:28:50 pm »
Not overtly fired at my company, but they push and push, make things very difficult and FIND reasons to get rid of the poz boys and girls at my company.  It sucks, we all know it happens, so we hide.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 05:19:31 pm »
I am bumping this because its such a wonderful gesture that someone has offered to help in the case of a person getting fired for being HIV positive.  Its people like wishihadacat that makes life bearable.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline wishihadacat

• Therainstorm.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 05:37:49 pm »
Thanks, Bear. If I wasn't such a prick, I'd be blushing.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.