Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:27:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 235
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My patient records have me listed as morbidly obese  (Read 9550 times)

Offline LiveWithIt

My patient records have me listed as morbidly obese
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:14:04 pm »

I was give a password for my Patient Fusion account and I saw listed that I was morbidly obese, which I don't think I am.  I'm certainly not 100 pounds overweight.
I will ask my doctor what he thinks.  I think I have a large frame and according to my height and weight someone with a slight frame might be morbidly obese.

But what say you? 

Do I look Morbidly Obese to you? 
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
Re: My patient records have me listed as morbidly obese
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »
Doesn't look like it to me. But I believe obesity is based on your BMI not your weight
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »
Doesn't look like it to me. But I believe obesity is based on your BMI not your weight

That's fine I will accept obese, but not morbidly obese.  I don't get winded walking up stairs and I'm not close to 100 pounds overweight.
Pray God you can cope

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:11:48 pm »
When I log on to my medical centers patient access, under"medical conditions" it says AIDS and I have never technically had AIDS. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:32:41 pm »
When I log on to my medical centers patient access, under"medical conditions" it says AIDS and I have never technically had AIDS.

Has your Tcell count ever fallen below 200?
Pray God you can cope

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:38:32 pm »
Has your Tcell count ever fallen below 200?

No.  No aids diagnosis just plain o'l HIV.  Anyone with HIV is categorized as aids in the computer.  Prob the same as anyone having a bmi over a certain threshold is listed as morbidity obese.  Just a computer entry, so what? 

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 07:40:28 pm »
But I believe obesity is based on your BMI not your weight
A BMI of ≥ 35 and experiencing obesity-related health conditions or ≥40–44.9 is morbid obesity
BMI = mass (lb) / height (in)2 * 703
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity

it says AIDS and I have never technically had AIDS. 
never had cd4s <200 or an AIDS defining OI? those are the qualifications

if I were y'all I would speak to your doctors about these entries ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:01:34 pm »
That's fine I will accept obese, but not morbidly obese.  I don't get winded walking up stairs and I'm not close to 100 pounds overweight.

Just for the record, BMI is a terrible guage of a person's shysical status.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/a-bmi-referendum-1201/

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 10:06:46 pm »
Just for the record, BMI is a terrible guage of a person's shysical status.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/a-bmi-referendum-1201/

I agree that BMI alone is not an accurate assessment of obesity. If you really want to know where you are in term of obesity have your body fat measured. My BMI indicates I am overweight but my waist is 30".

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:19 am »
BMI calculators are not a good way to gauge health.  I'm 6 feet tall.  I gained weight and got up to 230.  They say I was obese at that weight.  I was not obese.  I got chunky, but was not obese.  Even if I get down to 185, they still say I'm overweight.  I would look very trim at 185.  I would look like a lollipop, with a big head. 

The calculators don't account for muscle weight.  But, many go on those calculators.  I'm told life insurance use those.  So, it would still say I'm overweight, bordering on being obese.  I am overweight, but far, far from obese.

Here's a pic of me somewhere between 220-230.  The calculators would say I'm near obese here or obese. 

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 12:34:12 am »
Weird, now with these photos I can't picture you all as little mechano-automatons (complete with wind up cranks in your backs) anymore.

BMI is mostly worthless. It leaves out too many important factors in favor of a quick numeric answer, but yes, it's used by a lot of people for a lot of things, and we are powerless against those who hold the forms. Forms with checkboxes require checkboxing, and there's no room for nuance when you have 20 patients or clients waiting.

Still, if you find errors, no matter how small, I'd recommend you get them fixed. Allowing checkboxes to be incorrectly checked can haunt you later, and you'll say "I wish I'd listened to that guy that time in the forums."

-signed, that guy that time in the forums who didn't get his incorrect boxes corrected and lived to regret it when he was then judged ineligible for state aid programs because "we have to go by what the form says, and it says here..."
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:35:08 am »

Here's a pic of me somewhere between 220-230.  The calculators would say I'm near obese here or obese. 

I can't tell how heavy you are from a face picture. You could be shaped like a pear. A shirtless pic is required to proceed any further with this discussion.  8)

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:35:00 am »
I can't tell how heavy you are from a face picture. You could be shaped like a pear. A shirtless pic is required to proceed any further with this discussion.  8)

Yeah, that's how the fat girl from Facebook got to look hot, by only showing her face.  :D
Pray God you can cope

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 01:37:39 am »
Even if I get down to 185, they still say I'm overweight.  I would look very trim at 185.

I am the same way.  If I get down to 180 I would look skinny.  I'm around 230 ish and I'm fat, that's fine, or obese or whatever, but 50 pounds more than (my)  skinny on a tall guy with wide shoulders in not morbidly obese.

Also the doctor has never said anything about my weight.  My  former doctor did when my triglyceride numbers were a little high, but I just got my lab results recently and all the numbers were fine.
Pray God you can cope

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:18 am »

Ok, here I am.  My ass was showing, so I cropped it.  I don't want to get in trouble.  I do wonder whether his (I mean my) BMI would be obese, due to muscle weight.  Another good example why you need more accurate testing for body fat ratio and overall health, than just calculating height and weight. 

Do those scales really work, that send an electronic pulse through your body?  They claim to give accurate body fat results.  How do fitness folks and others get an accurate measurement?  I remember the tool that pinched the skin under your arms.  I think they also pinched fat around the stomach, too.  We all had it done in gym class.  Is that tool still the preferred method?

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 02:05:10 am »
The scales that use electrical resistance are considered unreliable. With some of them you can change your body fat percentage just by chugging water. Calipers are decent if the administrator knows what they're doing. The best method, which I only just read about online, is hydrostatic weighing. Barring that, there are tests your doctor can do if you have an excuse for them. Being positive and on certain medications is actually a good excuse for a turn on a DEXA scan machine to check your bone density, and those can apparently (I just read) be used to measure body composition and body fat percentage.

But I only know what Google just said to me, so this could all be misinformation.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:13:00 am »
Ok, here I am.  My ass was showing, so I cropped it.  I don't want to get in trouble.

Exactly like I envisioned you! This is me. Let's hook up!

I have a body fat scale and it is not accurate.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 03:14:14 am »
Does it say *AIDS* in your records, or "The AIDS"   ::)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:47 am »
I said "Hi" to a guy my age on the gay cruise site yesterday.  He looked height weight appropriate for his age, a bit "stocky" for his claimed "athletic" and when I say my age I mean he looked late 40's / 50 though claimed 42...
I sent three safe for work pictures. Here is his answer:

disgusting
old
repelling
ugly
go away AIDS pig

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:38 am »
Wow, Mecch, what a jerk. I hope you don't take his response too personally because there is something going on with that guy for him to lash out like that. Good thing you didn't meet him in person.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 10:17:25 am »
I agree with Ford , there has to be something awfully wrong with a person who talks to another human being like that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 10:40:14 am »
Yeah I just thought of mentioning it here because the public out there can be pretty abrasive, with their labels and such, including the health system.... So best to have thick skin and remember that its their problems often enough....
"morbidly obese" - puhleeze......
Morbid
a. Of, relating to, or caused by disease; pathological or diseased.
b. Psychologically unhealthy or unwholesome:

Offline wolfter

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:31 pm »
It appears that something was entered incorrectly and can easily be corrected.  My doctor utilizes a system call "Webview" where I can securely log in and view all my medical records and such.  There is a section named patient history.  Under it, it had this question; has patient ever been to prison.  There was a capital Y next to it. 

It obviously had no relevance in my treatment, but it bothered me that it indicated such erroneous information.  Within moments at our next appointment, he had it corrected.

You don't appear to be obese, let alone morbidly obese so perhaps a human made a simple mistake?  As far as BMI, my doctor doesn't have much faith in this indicator.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 02:40:29 pm »
So according to this very simple bmi calculator
http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/surgicalServices/generalSurgery/bariatricsurgery/resources/bmi_calculator.html

A bmi over 25 is considered "overweight"
A bmi over 30 is considered "obese"
A bmi over 40 is morbidly obese

I'm at 23.7 which is considered normal but I still think I could stand to lose ten pounds.  It's a very simplistic measurement and not at all personalized to the individual. 

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 03:55:40 pm »

You don't appear to be obese, let alone morbidly obese so perhaps a human made a simple mistake?  As far as BMI, my doctor doesn't have much faith in this indicator.

Wolfie
Yeah, I don't like the Obese word but I am overweight/heavy/fat/a big guy....etc, I just know how to wear dark clothing to mask it a little, but I'm not a fan of bright colored clothing on me.  I took a side view picture where I look a little heavier, but I didn't know how to upload it here and I didn't want another picture of me on Tinypic.

But if someone was morbidly obese you could certainly tell in any frontal body picture.
Pray God you can cope

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.