Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:58:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 381
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Longer term Diarrhea with HIV.. Some ideas  (Read 7261 times)

Offline krh

Longer term Diarrhea with HIV.. Some ideas
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »
Hi all:

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I thought I might get some fresh opinions from others with the same issue.  I know it's not a great topic but I'm at wits end.

I've been hiv+ for 7 years and started Atripla within 2 months of seroconverting.  My numbers are great and I've always been undetectable (600 TC, VL <50).  When I first became hiv+ I had a very bad infection with intestinal parasites which was cured from antibiotics.  Since then, my GI tract has not been great.

I have had loose stools (smelly, small, flatulence, sometime just diarrhea , and just not nice) ever since then. I've been tested for parasites and the test comes up negative and sometimes positive.. I've been on several bouts of antibiotics but even on the antibiotics nothing changes.

I was also on prevacid for GERD and stopped that thinking it might be the culprit, but after stopping it changed nothing.  (I'm not on any other medication)

I have no other issues except some sleep problems sometimes.

I'm just sick of having to go to the bathroom 2-4 times a day and it sucks on my love life (I'm gay).

So I had two questions for others with a similar experience.

1.  Changing from ATRiPLA to ISENTRESS/TRUVADA might make a difference?  It would probably help with sleep issues, but GI?

2.  Any dietary recommendations that would help firm up my stools or cause me to go less?

I'm trying to avoid taking other drugs such as diarrhea meds etc which stop me up for days.

Any ideas..  Thanks.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Longer term Diarrhea with HIV.. Some ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:52:54 pm »
Some people just have bad GI issues from the virus itself -- I've always had a big problem regardless of the countless med regimen changes I've undertaken.  I've had to take rather large amounts of loperamide daily for at least 13 years.  I also take Psyllium seed husks capsules, as well as a prescription pancreatic enzyme called Pancrecarb.  Pancrecarb is actually good because instead of just treating the symptom (like loperamide) it treats the cause of malabsorption in the intestines, and also decreases bloating and gas.

Anyway, that's what works for me.  I take 2-3 lopermide twice daily (so that's like a total of OTC Imodium of 8p-12 mgs for reference), 1 psyllium capsules twice daily, and Pancrecarb MT-16 2-3 twice daily.  Basically I take as much, or more, pills for GI issues as I do for HIV.

Oh, and I also use lactose free milk just in case.  I still have other dairy, as I refuse to give up gourmet cheeses, but actually cheese doesn't seem to bother me like regular milk.  When I have ice cream I keep it to about four spoonfuls as a serving, but that's fine because it keeps me from being fat.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline krh

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »
Wow.  Sorry about your troubles..

If I take one immodium it blocks me up for days.  I couldnt imagine taking one more than one twice a day.

The main problem is that the stools are soft and small, with alot of gas, especially in the morning (gross I know).

I was researching about apple pectin how it may harden the stool and making it easier to pass.

Anyone else?

Offline Wrist

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:24:56 pm »
I would try yogurt with acidophilus or just find some acidophilus pills. Being on a lot of antibiotics kills the body of the good bacteria which could and usually causes GI issues. The acidophilus replaces the good stuff that is killed off.

Offline veritas

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:34:45 pm »

Krh,

Wrist makes a good point. Probiotics can be very effective in controlling "D". See this from Harvard Med:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0905c.shtml

Also, eat a lot of fiber (daily we should be getting about 25g of fiber daily.

Good Luck,

v

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 09:09:50 pm »
Ever get tested for celiac sprue? Having a gastric illness can permanently change your intestines and bring about illness' that weren't there before.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:11:23 pm by freaky_dream »

Offline krh

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »
I actually eat quite a bit of yogurt and tries pro/prebiotic supplements.

I've tried stopping it also to see if that might be culprit.

Never got tested for celiac sprue

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:17:55 pm »
Hey krh,

Supplementing with calcium, probiotics, slippery elm and inulin fiber can firm things up.

Taking meds on a full stomach is helpful, but you are taking Efavirenz, so this would increase the risk of CNS side effects.

Have you consulted a dietitian?  You might have some allergies, and there are diets that can help clear things up.

Supplementing with probiotics can be particularly helpful if you have been taking antibiotics.

Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »
What does the HIV doc offer as a treatment?
I guess if your numbers are stable you could try a different combination.  There is Intelence or Isentress if you don't want to go the protease route.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline northernguy

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 12:25:32 am »
Taking a dump 2-4 times a day isn't necessarily "abnormal".  I found just eating oatmeal for breakfast really helped firm things up.  Not the instant kind, but good old fashioned oatmeal.  I make a pot and then microwave it each morning.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline krh

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »
Well.. I just got my numbers back.  TCELL is 660 and VL undetectable for the past 7 years.

I've tried supplements for the diarrhea and nothing seems to work.

The DR is going to try switching my meds from ATRIPLA which I've been on for about 6 years now to
ISENTRESS/TRUVADA.  He wants to start there and then go and do other tests if it persists.

I'll let you know if anything changes for those in a similar situation.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »
I was on Atripla for almost a year and hung up the towel because of the CNS issues. I made the switch to Truvada/Issentress this week. OMG what an amazing difference. If anything, I'm leaning more towards constipation, but I think it's still too early to call because I've also changed my diet this week as I actually have more of an appetite than I seemed to have had the rest of the year.

Offline Hoover

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:25:11 pm »
Maybe you have a parasite that is not being tested for in your lab.
I live in the tropics and suffered from chronic diarrhea or 4 years!
Thankfully I work at home and have 3 toilets in the house.
Finally I went to a better lab and they determined which parasite I had causing the problems.
The anti-parasite meds are not fun but they worked.

On the up side after that many years of diarrhea, I turned from a bottom to a top.
My husband may not be that happy about it...

Hoover
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »
Any doctor worth his pay will test for parasites FIRST before moving to other remedies -- it's the first thing to rule out.  Why would you live for four years like this, and why would your doctor think that this is appropriate?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline krh

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
I've had stool tests several times and my diet is pretty plain.

This was another way to see what is going on.  I'm headed for another colonoscopy also.  Everything has come back normal so meds change was the next step.

Also, I've had a couple of opinions and they all correlate the same.

Anyway, I'll let you know my progress.

The only big issue was the cns effects and diarrhea with Atripla but I really like once a day dosing so I stuck with it for a long time.  I don't think I ever missed a dose more than 6 hours in many years.

The isentress is 2x a day which I'm not excited about.

Offline Nextdoor_guy

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 06:01:16 pm »
hey buddy hang out there : )
I just started a treatment which is considered tough, and specially giving diarrhea as side effect. Kaletra + Combivir. but still have nothing
Even though might sound as a cliche but the alimentation + sport is the key.

Fibers and fruits are the best for this. nuts *specially pistachios, almonds, cashews then dried  plums, dates, figs are piece of heaven. mint/pepper mint hot teas are very good also. specially yogurts with selected ferments will help also
Running 3-4 times per week also indicated.

so keep it up and good luck!
There's too much confusion.

Offline krh

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »
Hi All:

Just an update.  After being on Atripla for several years I switched to Isentress and Truvade.  The only issue I have is that I have to go from once a day to 2x a day.  As someone who is a bitg anal about being compliant I really enjoyed the once a day.

I do not have any side effects after 2 weeks.  I am getting up earlier in the morning and feel a bit better than Atripla.  I was going for a master program while on Atripla and boy, it was tough in the mornings where I had to be competitive early.  Wish I had been on the Isetnress combo then!.

As for the diarrhea.  It is still there.  However, it is definitely not as bad.  Before with Atripla, I had very urget need to go and it would be pretty explosive/smelly, and I'd have to go several times a day.

Now, it is about 50% better.  Still not perfect but better.

If this is of any help to people  I'd say talk it over with your doc.

I'll update my post with numbers after being on this combo for 6 weeks (although my numbers are pretty great now) so hopefully there won't be a change.

Thanks all for the words of support.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »
Good to hear things have improved.

Probiotiocs as others have mentioned, and fiber can really help with loose stools/diarrhea.

Some people take glutamine, I think the dosage is 3000 mg 3 times per day.

This link has more info:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/diarrhea-000050.htm

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:43 am »
I have had great success by using Calcium w/ vit D and pro biotics...increase your whole grain intake and fiber this will help fix it right up.
burstnbloom

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.