Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:17:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773267
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 364
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bono's Op-Ed piece about AIDS in the New York Times today  (Read 1882 times)

Offline buginme2

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 06:28:02 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Bono's Op-Ed piece in the New York Times today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »
Change the title of the thread to include that its about AIDS.

I was just about to post it when I caught that you had.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

Re: Bono's Op-Ed piece about AIDS in the New York Times today
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:06 pm »
What do you guys think of the media coverage (especially TV where many get their news) about World AIDS Day or HIV/AIDS in general?  The Today Show didn't mention it at all.  Brian Williams did a short interview with Bono on Nightly News.  They constantly do stories about cancer.  The Today Show did another long segment/live interview about the woman missing after her People's Court appearance.  And, you know the People's Court factor isn't why they cover that story every day.  If it was a black woman or man, or a gay person who went missing after being on the show, they wouldn't care.  It just seems if HIV affected more white, straight folks in this country, it would get way more media attention.  If 56,000 white mothers and children were being infected each year in the U.S., I can't imagine more than a couple weeks going by without mention of it.  (I realize white mothers and children make up thousands of those infections, but they still see it as a gay/drug user disease.) 

Having said that, I understand that the virus isn't killing people off like it once did.  And, one could make the argument that no other illness gets the high profile conferences with the likes of presidents and former presidents.  And, no other disease gets funding for meds and doc appts like HIV/AIDS.  The most coverage I saw today was from a local TV station.  And, I watch a lot of national and local news.  I was surprised how much they covered it--giving facts and stats.  I emailed an anchor at the station, with whom I use to work, to thank them for the great coverage.  She said it probably wouldn't have happened, but a producer knows someone with HIV, so it was his doing to cover it in so much detail.       

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:33 am »
I agree that there's not much coverage. I didn't see much here in the UK yesterday. In fact on a local level, the last time I can recall hiv being mentioned anywhere in the Isle of Man media was a few years ago when I did a live interview on Manx Radio for WAD. Since then, there's been nothing.

This is an area where it's going to fall to us to get more media attention. We have to step up to the plate and put pressure on our local media outlets to give hiv more attention. We have to be willing to provide accurate, up-to-date information and we have to be willing to be interviewed ourselves. Radio is one media where one can easily remain anonymous to the public at large. 

Where WAD is concerned, the best course of action would be to start contacting people in September or October at the latest, so they can't tell you they have no room in their schedules.

We really can't sit back and bitch and moan about the lack of coverage if we're not actively trying to rectify the situation ourselves. If WE don't appear to care about it, how can we expect anyone else to appear to care about it? If we are not speaking out, why should/would anyone else?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16:31 am »
Where WAD is concerned, the best course of action would be to start contacting people in September or October at the latest, so they can't tell you they have no room in their schedules.
definitely!

My ASO holds a WAD event (some yrs memorials, some yrs perfomances, some yrs video (HIV/AIDS PSAs) competitions) every year at one of the local colleges. Our committee first meets in Sept. and starts right off the bat by contacting the media (print, local cable, etc) and arranging press coverag. (for our video competition, we even have media figures join our panel of judges - that sure helps ensure that they'll be reporting on the event LOL) By mid-October, we have event flyers and posters really to go (posted in local colleges, laundrymats, salons, churches, etc) along with Facebook, Twitter, and other social media announcements.

Yesterday we were part of a BBC story on HIV/AIDS stigma in the South (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15972527), and had reporters from two local newspapers, along with a videographer/reporter from the local cable news show attend our event. After having seen so little news about WAD in the last few years, seeing so much local news along with the Presidents WAD announcement was very encouraging - even if we had to do a lot of work to get that local coverage. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.