Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 365
Total: 366

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is it impossible?  (Read 13199 times)

Offline sad days

Is it impossible?
« on: September 05, 2006, 04:57:44 pm »
Hi there,

I would like to get some feedback.  I posted on the old forum about 4 or 5 months ago, so I hope I'm doing this right.  Anyway,  I had unprotected vaginal with a prostitute in mid November of '05.  I tried to have safe sex, but the condom failed during the last couple minutes of the deed.  I never remember having any kind of illness or symptoms.  It was during the holidays, so I would have remebered being sick.  However, in mid March, almost 4 months later to the day, I got pretty ill.  Not with flu-like symptoms, but with hot patches on my skin, particularly on my face and back.  I was very thirsty and somewhat dizzy.  I did not have any fever nor headaches.  I had absolutely no appetite for 2 weeks and could not defacate.  (Not a constipated feeling, just had no need to crap).  When I did go, it was not diarreah.  I lot about 10 lbs.  The second all this started, I was sure I had HIV, which shot my anxiety through the roof.  I had already been stressed about other STD's up until this point, although I have no symptoms of those either.  So on March 21st I had a full STD panel drawn including HIV 1&2.  The results were obviously NEGATIVE for everything.  This was just over 18 weeks past possible exposure.  I went through all kinds of things, like stiff neck, numbness is limbs, etc. but never have felt any swollen lymph nodes or fever of any kind.  I did have 2 nights of drenching night sweats in early April, but none since then.  Over the last several months, I have still been plagued by the hot skin condition, although it has subsided greatly, and is on and off.  I have however developed a white coated tongue which has been with me since about month 6.  I have also developed eye floaters.  Don't know whether I had them before, and am just seeing them because I'm looking.  Just to let you all know, I have been tested 7 times.  Two of which were blood drawn to cover both HIV 1&2 and the other 5 were OraQuick finger prick method.  The last test was at about 9 months and a week past possible exposure (NEGATIVE).  Is anxiety getting the best of me, or should I be concerned about very late seroconversion.  I want to end this fear.  Would I be one for the record books, and has there been any documentation of anyone changing to positive after this long in the recent past?  By the way, I'm not on any medication. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Is it impossible?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:05:15 pm »
Days,

No, you're not one for the record books and your test results are reliable. Please read our Welcome Thread to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:18:07 pm »
Sad, you are not one for the books. What you are is HIV negative. Period. End of that particularl story.

Your risk was minimal to begin with as you would have been protected until the condom failed. HIV is not easy to transmit. Yours was a very brief risk. And that doesn't matter, (nor do all of your symptoms from whatever unknown cause), because you have reliably tested negative for the virus.

Whatever is causing your symptoms, some of which seem to be lingering, is for your to discuss with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV. Period.

Good luck with getting that sorted out. This is not an HIV situation.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline sad days

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 06:20:52 pm »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the quick responses!  I know logically there's just no way I'm infected.  Anxiety is a powerful monster.  I think what bothers me the most is the white coated tongue.  It seems to be such a huge common denominator of all us WW's, even for those who really had no risk at all.  I know you truly believe I am not infected, but I guess I'd really like your input on the timing of my symptoms.  It seems that 4 months down the road would be way past the norm for ARS.  Is that true, or can that be the case?  Also, the nurses (3 different ones) where I've been taking my tests have stated that they've never known anyone to turn positive after testing negative at 3 - 4 months.  What's your experience with that? Thanks for the help!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:32:32 pm »
Your four mouth symptoms have nothing to do with ARS. You tested negative. No I have never seen anyone get a positive result after 3 months.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:35:02 pm »
Yes, four months down the road is way past the time of likely seroconversion.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days! All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

I've also never known for anyone to seroconvert beyond three months post-possible exposure although I know that it can happen in situations involving IV drug use and/or a severely depleted immune system such as occurs from treatment for cancer. 

Andy Velez

Offline sad days

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 05:01:28 pm »
Hi Guys,
I know you're going to think I'm a complete asshole for writing in again, but there is a reason.  First off let me say that it's obvious that most WW's writing in are still within the 'window period' and I am well out of it.  I just tested again, only because I had the appointment already set up, and I wanted to do a blood drawn test as opposed to the finger prick 'Oraquick' I've done the last few times.  Well I went to pick up my results which were, of course, NON-REACTIVE.  I said to the clinician "So it's been a few days less than 10 MONTHS since possible exposure, is this it?" (To remind you, it was insertive vaginal with a woman of uknown status...condom break.)  To my surprise she said, "you should come back and test in another 6 months".  My mouth dropped open.  What the hell is that?  I don't think I would have let it get to me, but I still have the white coated tongue and the "hot spots" on different parts of my body from time to time.  Will someone please straighten me out, or do I really still have concern about HIV being my problem.  I have ALWAYS been healthy, that's why I have this big concern.  Please help, thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 05:18:22 pm »
You don't need to go back and retest you conclusively negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 05:47:31 pm »
Just keep looking for things to feed your worst fears and believe me you will find them. Test out to another 6 months, another year, HIV might be hiding in your body, etc. All of that is nonsense of course.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Can I say it to you any clearer?
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 07:13:22 pm »
Sad,

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a routine sexual health screen at least once a year, twice a year if you're very active. I'm betting this nurse was referring to when you might like to go in for your ROUTINE test.

You do not need further testing over the specific incident you tested for in the first place.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sad days

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:59:47 pm »
Rapid Rod, Andy, and Ann,

Thanks so much for taking the time for me.  And yes Ann, you're probably right about what the nurse said. (Routine).  I have certainly not had unprotected sex with anyone since my encounter in mid November '05.  The truth is I'm married and it was a one time slip up in 10 years which I'm deeply ashamed of.  I did not have unprotected sex with my wife until you guys were convinced I was negative on my thread on the old forums.  At that time I had tested negative out to and including 5.5 months, both Oraquick fingerprick and blood drawn Elisa.  Anyway, I thought I'd share that with you so you understand why I still had a concern out to 10 months.  Thanks again for caring.

Offline sad days

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 02:08:45 am »
Hi Guys,
Me again, I know, I know, I know, almost 10 months post possible with a NEGATIVE test result.  I have no idea if the woman I was with even has HIV.  Most people don't.    We are upgrading our life insurance policy on the 20th of this month which, or course, includes an HIV test.  I'm fucked in the head about this.  There are not too many responses to my post, so it will be easy for you to refamiliarize yourselves with my symptoms, and most importantly the timiing of my symptoms.  I, of course will test negative, but I'm so afraid that my wife will test positive because of my persistant symptoms.(white coated tongue and hot burning skin sensations).  I really think that I'm just not producing antibodies.  I'm also sure that the other WW's on this site will be laughing at me when they read this because of how far I've tested negative outside the 'window period'.  I know that this site is not a shrinks office, but I could use some help from you.  I read earlier on this site that there has not been a documented case of late seroconversion since 2000.  How late was it?  Late as in after 3 months, or after 6 months?  I swear to you that everything I have told you is true about my incident and sexual relations since November 2005.  Please send me your thoughts about this.  The persistant symptoms are what's confusing me.  I hope to hell that GUILT and ANXIETY are the culprit and not HIV.  Thanks all.  John

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 06:30:19 am »
Go take your test for your life insurance. You have a conclusive negative result from your pervious sexual adventures so you don't have anything to worry about. If you and your wife are have other symptoms ,SEE A DOCTOR, it's unrelated to HIV.

Offline sad days

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 01:00:32 pm »
Thanks Rapid,

I hope the other members feel the same way you do.  It would be nice to hear from some of them concerning this, even though I know you guys think I'm being ridiculous.  I wish I had had this fear before I went out and did something so stupid  I wouldn't need to be bothering you like this.  Thanks for the support people!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »
Sad,

You're hiv negative, period, end of story. It's time to move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sad days

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:53:40 pm »
Hi again,

I'm trying my best to move on with my life!!!  As you know I was supposed to get a blood test for my life insurance today, but I guess there was not the proper confirmation and the nurse didn't show up.  Even the agent was at my house waiting.  Anyway, we rescheduled for next Tuesday.  I have a question though.  I was reading the application and it states that they test for HIV using both antibody testing and antigen testing.  You guys also know that I've tested negative 8 times through 10 months post possible.  Is it possible that this antigen test may pick up something that the ELISA testing missed, or does ELISA testing include both antibody and antigen testing.  I'm sorry for posting but now I have to wait another week and could use some input on this.  Thanks very much.  Sad

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12:19 pm »
NOPE!!!!!!!! P24 test is before the ELISA test. You were conclusively negative from the ELISA test. So the answer is NOPE!!!!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 06:40:21 am »
Sad,

The insurance company is using both antigen and antibody testing because they're covering their bases. Antigen picks up very early infection, before antibodies are formed. Antibody testing will pick up an infection after the antigens have come and gone.

If you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread like you were asked to when you first came here, you would have read through the Testing Lesson and you'd already know this information. Get reading.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sad days

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 07:32:52 pm »
Hi Ann and Guys,

I did read the welcome thread.  I know that antigens disappear when antibodies develop.  My question to all of you is this:  Is 10 months negative oraquick, not to mention the 8 other prior negative tests, so far out of the window period that I'm a whack job to think that my body is just not producing antibodies?  If I'm not producing antibodies yet, wouldn't antigens still be present?  I also have a question about false negatives:  Obviously testing during the window period may do it, but what about the other reasons presented?  Chemo, IV drug user, etc.  The one that seems very vague is the 'compromised immune system' or the 'autoimmune disease'.  How compromised does you immune system have to be to not be able to produce antibodies to a certain virus, and there are many, many autoimmune diseases.  HIV is an autoimmune disease.  That's the one that really confuses me.  Would this 'autoimmune disease' be one that you would have been sure to know about already, or could it be an underlying factor that you were unaware of?  Sorry for these pointed questions, but as you know, I was delayed on my life insurance test for another week, and these thoughts and questions are running rampad through my mind.  Could you guys please give me some input?  I promise I will not post on this site until after the results of my life insurance blood work.  Promise

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:47:30 pm »
You have had your conclusive negative result, so your body wouldn't produce antibodies for HIV infection. If you would have a compromised immune system you would be very ill and you would have been diagnosed by your doctor long ago.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 05:51:14 am »
Sad,

Hiv isn't an autoimmune disease, it's a retrovirus. Autoimmune disease tends to produce false POSITIVE results, not false negative.

As Rodney says, if your immune system were so compromised that it wasn't producing antibodies, you would be so ill as for it to be obvious that something was wrong. You'd be living in a hospital ward, not at home on your computer obsessing over something you don't have.

You are conclusively hiv negative and it's time you moved on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sad days

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 01:55:33 pm »
Hi Guys,

Well, I guess it's about time I posted again.  Both me and my wife's life insurance applications were approved.  We were rated 'premier' and 'preferred' respectively.  The did a full blood panel on both of us.  I've been waiting to get a copy of the reports, but it's taking forever.  It doesn't really seem to matter though, because I'm sure they would not have insured us if we had tested positive.  I obsessed during the waiting period, though, and got tested 3 more times (NEGATIVE), both blood drawn and oraquick advanced fingerprick method out to 13 months (not 13 week, MONTHS) past my unprotected vaginal insertion.  It's weird though.  I still have my doubts because of my lingering symptoms which are as follows:  White coated tongue, which burns at times as well as the inside of my lips. Not white on lips, gums or inside of cheeks, but they all seem to be lighter than normal.  No canker sores.  I also have noticeable eye floaters, especially with light backgrounds.  The final symptom is these hot feelings to my skin, primarily on my back and my face, sometimes with light sweating.  I know what you're going to say, but I wanted to ask you guys about NAT testing.  Is it more reliable than ELIZA?  I read a post that Ann wrote where she mentions that NAT testing is what the blood banks use.  I don't believe in donating blood to get an HIV test, but I'm still so confused as to what's causing these symptoms.  Also, I have been on blood pressure medication for about 3 months.  I'm hoping stress is the culprit of the high blood pressure.  I was testing negative out to including 10 months before starting it.  Does blood pressure medication mask antibody production?  Anyway,  I would appreciate some more advice from the MOD's.  I am truly sorry to be a bother.  Thanks for your help, John     

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 02:18:55 pm »
NO!!!!!

Offline sad days

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 04:02:03 pm »
Whoa!, I guess you're shouting at me with those capital letters.  By the way, NO! to what?  I asked a few questions.  Hey guys, look at my thread.  I have only 23 posts total, including this one.  I don't have 85 posts where you guys banter back and forth, and back and forth with someone who thinks he contracted HIV while beating off watching a porno.  I did, in fact, have a real risk.  I realize you can't write and recommend I see an HIV specialists because it would completely contradict what you preach, but just like those on this forum who are truly scared, even if they had zero risk, I am still somewhat scared as well.  I think my questions and concerns have been valid and worthy of your time, just as much as anyone else writing in for help.  With that said, I do really appreciate the time all of you have given me, and I'll try harder to let this go.  I just wanted a few questions answered, I'm sorry.  John

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 06:27:16 pm »
Sad,

You only asked one question. It was regarding blood pressure meds affecting antibody production and Rodney quite correctly answered you NO.

You are conclusively hiv negative. None of the symptoms you are experiencing have anything to do with hiv. Even if you WERE hiv positive, they would not have anything to do with hiv.

I'm not going to advise you to see an hiv specialist, not because I "can't write it", but because you don't need one. You do not have hiv.

I WILL, however, advise you to see a mental health care professional, because you do have a problem with hiv related anxiety. This is not the same as having hiv. You do NOT have hiv.

Keep coming here to wring your hands over your negative hiv results and I will give you a time out to encourage you to get the face to face help you need. Please consider yourself warned.

There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sad days

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2006, 06:39:08 pm »
Actually Ann,

I asked if the NAT test was more reliable than the ELIZA as well.  You guys have been very helpful with not only me, but everyone.  Thank you, John

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 07:00:11 pm »
sad,

Nothing trumps a negative three month or over three month ELISA test. Nothing.

You ARE hiv negative. It's high time you either moved on with your life or got help to do so.

We can do no more for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sad days

Re: Low lymphocytes
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:24 pm »
Hi there,

I know I have my own thread, but this question does not have anything to do with my thread.  The only reason I'm asking on this one is that I too had low lymphocytes on a blood test last year. (14.5 in a range of 17 - 48).  We are not supposed to PM poz people, even if they are actively answering questions on this forum so I really don't know how to handle this other than ask here.  This question is for ACinKC.  You wrote in a few posts back that you didn't have as much anxiety over this thing as "Afraid", but you tested 4 times before you got your positive result.  This is a little confusing to me and I'm sure others reading this thread.  It seems to me that if you tested 4 times, you either took much longer than 13 weeks to serconvert or you were obsessed with testing like some of us are, which would seem very anxious.  Would you mind clarifying?  I hope I am not being insulting, as I have no intention in being so.  I have tested far, far beyond the window period (just over a year), but I have these damn symptoms that keep telling me I am infected.  Were you a late seroconverter?  You can PM me if you'd rather not answer publicly.  Again, I'm sorry if I am insulting anyone, I just see no other way of getting this information.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 12:13:23 am »
Sad,

I removed the post you placed in another thread and put it here, into your OWN thread, which is the ONLY place you should ask questions. If you need help to find your own thread, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

AC tested four times prior to his positive result because he had been doing the responsible thing and getting tested regularly over a period of time. It doesn't mean he tested four times over one incident.

Your low lymphocytes have nothing to do with hiv infection. You have reliably and conclusively tested negative for hiv. You need to move on with your life or work with a doctor and mental health care professional to figure out what is holding you back.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline sad days

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 09:48:54 pm »
Hello All,

Look, I realize I have been hanging around this site far too long, in fact I've been obsessing over my condition since November '05.  I have even tested a few more times since my negative Life Insurance test.  My last negative test was two days ago.  I guess my problem is these persistent symptoms.  You've all read about them, especially the burning sensation to my face and back and my white coated tongue that burns a little as well.  My question is this:  When they say, "no further testing is necessary or recommended after 3 months unless clinical symptoms persist", what does that mean?  Don't I have clinical symptoms?  And if not, what?  I've been to several doctors, had an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, been put on blood pressure medication, Xanax.  I am still plagued by this.  Do you really think this is manifested in my head?  They say you are 99.9% sure to not be infected if you receive a 6 month negative, but what about that small percentage?  Is it impossible that I am one of those that just aren't ever going to seroconvert, yet be infected?  I'm so sorry I have caused you moderators grief in dealing with me, although there have been way worse than me.  I hope you guys will find it in your graces to deal with my frustration again.  I do truly believe in my test results.  I do believe that I do not have antibodies specific to HIV.  What I am having a hard time believing is that the aren't going to be developed down the road over this incident.  Late, late, late seroconversion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 06:22:12 am »
Sad,

"They" may say that about "clinical symptoms" but we do not. Three months is conclusive. Period.

Keep working with your doctor to find the source of your discomfort. It isn't hiv as you have conclusively ruled it out. You may benefit from the help of a mental health care professional because the source of your symptoms could very well be stress. See your doctor for a referral.

There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.