Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:08:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 506
Total: 509

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Vaccine  (Read 77036 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: COVID-19 Vaccine
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2021, 09:58:13 am »
Yes.

I just got home from getting vaccinated today. In Ireland, they are only vaccinating the 60 + group this month + the very high-risk group.

I got the Pfizer vaccine, However, I did not ask beforehand and would have taken whatever one they had.

https://twitter.com/JimAllenDublin/status/1388108913791352834

😊 glad you finally got your shot Jim.  Great !

Ray 8
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2021, 10:05:57 am »
 8)

All of my family members and closest friends have already received, either their single J and J dose, or both doses of the Phizer or Moderna vaccine. Everyone is Fine ! My sister received the J and J dose. she is 64. No problems.

Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline virgo313

« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2021, 11:16:14 am »
Noted again, I will try to get ANY vaccine once opportunity comes. Both my parents already got their 1st dose pzifer. They are almost 90. As for me there is no clear indication when we will get a date. Glad government is considering “1st come 1st served” for AZ. Critics here calculated at current rate, it will takes 4 years to vaccinate all.  ;D
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2021, 05:03:00 pm »
For any veterans on this site, that have not received their vaccine yet,.. I received this email today, about the Covid 19  vaccine.

--------------------------------------

An update on the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine

We’re starting to offer the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine again at VA health facilities. We’ll provide this vaccine—along with the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines—to Veterans, spouses, caregivers, and CHAMPVA recipients who are at least 18 years old. Supply varies by facility.
How we made this decision

We continue to follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
When a very small number of people who received the Janssen vaccine experienced rare but serious blood clots, CDC and FDA experts recommended a pause in providing this vaccine. They did this to give them time to study the issue. They then carefully reviewed these cases and all available data.

Based on this review, they’re confident that this vaccine is safe for use and works well to prevent COVID-19.

The available data shows:
•   The vaccine’s benefits outweigh its risks
•   The chance of blood clots after getting this vaccine is very low
What this means for you

If you haven’t yet received a COVID-19 vaccine from VA, your local facility will contact you when they have one for you. If we offer you the Janssen vaccine, we’ll give you information about the potential risks and benefits. This includes the rare risk of blood clots. We’ll also tell you about your other vaccine options.

The primary goal of COVID-19 vaccines is to protect those we serve from COVID-19. And your safety—and the safety of all who receive a COVID-19 vaccine from VA—remains our priority.

What you can do next

To learn about your VA health facility’s current plan, go to the facility’s website. Once you’re on the site, go to Health care services, then COVID-19 in the menu.
Find your nearest VA health facility that offers COVID-19 vaccines
If you have questions about this vaccine, contact your primary health care provider. If you get care through VA, you can send a secure message to your VA provider.
Send a secure message to your VA provider to ask about COVID-19 vaccines
Note: Please don’t come to a VA health facility to request a COVID-19 vaccine unless you have an appointment or received an invite to a vaccine clinic.

You’re getting this email because you signed up on VA.gov to get updates about our COVID-19 vaccine plans. If someone forwarded this email to you, you can sign up to receive future updates.
If you don’t want to get these emails anymore, you can unsubscribe at any time."

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fabio

« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2021, 04:25:35 am »
although not about this comment per se, it seems a lot of people don't understand this vaccine roll-out. I've never heard of anyone getting to "choose" which one they want. What happens is, depending on vaccine approval dates and manufacturing processes, doses are created and shipped out to next on the list basically.

Pzifer, moderna, and then J&J have rolled out in America and which vaccine you get depends on when it was manufactured, how much was allocated to your state, what type was shipped to your local hospital or vaccination location, and when you were able to get the vaccine. Because many locations receive shipments of all of these brands, when and where you get the vaccination is the factor in determining what brand you will receive.

When I got my vaccine, I got the pzifer because the previous shipment of Moderna to our area had run out and the next shipment sent to this vaccination location was Pzifer. A few local clinics got more moderna along with J&J, so what type you got depended on when you got the shot and at what location.

I found out what med I was getting when I got it. I would imagine that the same thing happens anywhere else. the nurse/health professional who gives you the vaccination should inform you. If not, the brand should be noted in the paperwork you are given. So much data is being tracked about this disease and these vaccinations, there's no way you and the person giving you the shot shouldn't be able to easily find out which one you have received. I don't think there are many countries giving out vaccinations now, that regularly inject their citizens with drugs without some sort of paperwork and consent from the patient.

tl;dr
no one really "chooses" what vaccine they receive. it depends on what was shipped to your area. ask the nurse giving the shot. they'll have paperwork about what type your getting.
That is true,you don't really choose any kind of vaccine. I remember when I went to the army first day they just jabbed us with some unknown fluids and we were set haha.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2021, 08:41:03 am »
That is true,you don't really choose any kind of vaccine. I remember when I went to the army first day they just jabbed us with some unknown fluids and we were set haha.

;D yes, .... They were jabbing all kinds of liquids in both arms, as we continued down the line, for the next shot. Don't really remember how many shots I got back then...

Ray 8)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:03 pm »
I'll be getting my second dose Wednesday and I'm 99.9% sure it will be as uneventful as the first shot.

I kinda understand some people's apprehension with getting the vaccine.. but I honestly didn't think about it too much and was determined to get it just bc I was tired of being afraid of it.. just wanted to go back having a life.

Now the challenge is trying to convince someone I care about to get vaccinated too.. she's not an anti-vaxxer, she just doesn't trust how fast the vaccine has been rolled out. I'm working on it but she's so goddamn stubborn.

In my search for articles and media that would hopefully help her see the light, I ran into these YouTube vids from Vox that helped me get a better understanding about these vaccines..

Why you can't compare Covid-19 vaccines..
https://youtu.be/K3odScka55A

mRNA vaccines, explained..
https://youtu.be/mvA9gs5gxNY

And THIS..
Can we get rid of Covid-19 forever?..
https://youtu.be/2ty2J0s2W0c

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:27:08 pm by Almost2late »

Offline virgo313

« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2021, 02:57:06 am »
Finally, I feel relief now that I have a date for covid vaccine appointment. Manage to book a slot for AZ vaccine that was for 1st come 1st serve basis. Total 260k slot taken up within 3 hours.
https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/following-overwhelming-response-initial-268000-astrazeneca-vaccination-slots-minister

If wasn’t for this, I really don’t know when will I get a shot if I wait like others. Current pace is like:- (Started in Early March) Pzifer or Sinovac (cannot choose)
Our population: around 40 million
Those received 1 shot already: 900K
Received 2 shots: 550K
*at least 1 shot the n total: 1.45 million

Glad have a chance to choose like lottery for AZ. 😂

Offline harleymc

« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2021, 06:12:35 am »
The AZ Oxford rollout in Australia is proving a pain.

After the first shot there is a three week window where clots have been observed. Some of the symptoms are vague rash, headache that sort of thing...  I'm normally so relaxed and comfortable with vaccines but this one meant I was constantly evaluating my health in an almost obsessive fashion.  SAt last the three weeks has passed.

Now I have a 9 week wait for my second appointment.

At current rollout rates Australia won't be vaccinated untill 2023.  That's an awfully lot of lockdown still to come

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2021, 07:19:12 am »
I didnt have time to choose but my company gave an option and decide… ::). “ you can get the jab or you wanna grounded “  >:( … Took Moderna month ago , and still im alive  ;D

Offline fabio

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2021, 03:39:47 am »
Good news everyone,I just did the first dose of my vaccine (the moderna one) and I feel...absolutely fine. No complications whatsoever (well,duh...).
The doctor was a bit rude ...The nurse was kind and nice though .

Offline Loa111

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2021, 09:39:06 am »
Good to hear Fabio! Snap! I got my 1st dose of Moderna this morning too over here in Dublin.

I think it was mainly people from HIV ID Clinic there this morning. There was a buzz of excitement in the air. Delighted to have shot 1 done, & now 28 days for shot 2.

My arm feels a bit tender, & I do feel a slight bit funny, very similar to how I feel after Flu vaccine or any of the other vaccines the ID doc gave me over the last year.

I read the Shot 1 of Moderna after 2 weeks can still give up to 80% protection, so all good news. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2021, 09:51:03 am »
Good news everyone,I just did the first dose of my vaccine (the moderna one) and I feel...absolutely fine. No complications whatsoever (well,duh...).
The doctor was a bit rude ...The nurse was kind and nice though .

CONGRATULATIONS!, For joining the vaccinated club !!  8)

Ray 8)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline virgo313

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2021, 10:22:09 am »
Congratulations Fabio & all that have at least a shot of vaccine.
I too have join the vaccinated group having a jab yesterday. Same time parents got 2nd jab already, a sigh of relief knowing they are fully vaccinated.  :)

Offline fabio

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2021, 02:16:15 pm »
Good to hear Fabio! Snap! I got my 1st dose of Moderna this morning too over here in Dublin.

I think it was mainly people from HIV ID Clinic there this morning. There was a buzz of excitement in the air. Delighted to have shot 1 done, & now 28 days for shot 2.

My arm feels a bit tender, & I do feel a slight bit funny, very similar to how I feel after Flu vaccine or any of the other vaccines the ID doc gave me over the last year.

I read the Shot 1 of Moderna after 2 weeks can still give up to 80% protection, so all good news.
Same, although I only feel now the stiff muscle but all in all I feel nothing haha. In my case I had to go to another place (since I live in an island) so everyone was 80+ lol.

Offline fabio

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2021, 02:18:52 pm »
Congratulations Fabio & all that have at least a shot of vaccine.
I too have join the vaccinated group having a jab yesterday. Same time parents got 2nd jab already, a sigh of relief knowing they are fully vaccinated.  :)

CONGRATULATIONS!, For joining the vaccinated club !!  8)

Ray 8)
Thanks! I'm actually quite happy to have done it, although my day was eventful that I had also a paper due (a team presentation) and my team mates are morons haha, so I didn't really celebrate the vacc club entry haha.

Offline Loa111

« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2021, 03:44:34 am »
I felt very off & tired yesterday from my Moderna shot plus surprised at how achy my arm was. Bit better today. At least I know it’s kicking in if my body reacted like that.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2021, 09:28:25 am »
Happy Days.  That's me fully vaccinated and I did not grow an additional head, limbs or gain any psychic abilities and neither has my wifi connection improved.  ;D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:48:05 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2021, 10:28:10 am »
Happy Days.  That's me fully vaccinated and I did not grow an additional head, limps or gain any psychic abilities and neither has my wifi connection improved.  ;D

Oh ,wow! It looks like one of those seminar certificates 😂. On a few days I will be fully vaccinated too (finally). We only get ours online (which is ok,although I wanted one like yours haha). I wouldn't say no to being psychic either 😂.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2021, 10:36:07 am »
Oh ,wow! It looks like one of those seminar certificates 😂. On a few days I will be fully vaccinated too (finally). We only get ours online (which is ok,although I wanted one like yours haha). I wouldn't say no to being psychic either 😂.

I would not mind online but that would not work well at the moment. Our health service is just getting over a ransomware attack. I suppose this is what happens when they are running window 98 ;D

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hse-cyber-attack-no-mass-dump-of-patient-data-as-criminals-deadline-passes-1.4574046
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline wardp

« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2021, 09:11:47 pm »
How are the  rest of you guys doing in thailand regards vaccination appointments registration etc etc i have registered with a few hospital's but no definitive appointments .i won't be taking the Chinese vaccines because of lack of full  data. Comments opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline daveR

« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2021, 10:48:32 pm »
My results are the same as you in Pattaya. I have registered with two hospitals, when I asked them for a time frame they laughed. I spent nearly all day at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital yesterday as my wife was having tests done so I enquired again, seeing how the government has stated we are eligible to book starting Monday. I was told they have no plans yet for foreigners.
The website we were directed to by the government states it is for diplomatic people only. The Thai app we were told to use as far as I know was cancelled.

They are vaccinating locals not far from me at a sports stadium and yesterday at the BPH in the carpark they set up an outdoor facility to vaccinate selected locals, hospital staff and some other categories. No foreigners yet but I am taking it as a sign that they are getting ready for us as that was not there last week.

I do know of someone in Bangkok who has made an appointment at the start of July for the Astrazenrca Jab, confirmed and the rumour that some hospital in Udon Thani is also taking bookings. Still lots of confusion from day to day in the English speaking press coming from the government. Earlier they said private hospitals could not use any vaccine that was in use by the government, they were obtaining Moderna for them at 3000 baht for two jabs including insurance. But that seems to have changed again.

Here is a copy of a message I got from a friend vin Bangkok, may be of some use if you are based there.

“Phyathai 2 Hospital, it has a Vaccine Reg. Booth inside Building B. Farangs can register, as well as Thais. Just did. Got July 5. Should be AZ. Price not mentioned. Seemed churlish to ask”.

I am hoping Monday brings some news and progress.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 11:04:19 pm by daveR »

Offline virgo313

« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2021, 09:45:27 am »
If can choose what vaccine then that would be good, if there is no choices, then should take what comes available first that are approved by WHO. The India variant is highly contagious & deathly. Most effective vaccine is the 1st vaccine anyone can get hold off.

Offline wardp

« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2021, 11:04:57 am »
Yes who do you trust.no pun intended 🙂
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline joemutt

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2021, 01:46:13 am »
In Chiangmai we have registered with this initiative:
https://www.cm-healthcare.net/CMCVR/
and received confirmation we are in the first batch of about 1400 people.
This initiative seems unique to Chiangmai and is supported by the British Pro Consul, the governor and the health services.

There is no date however and of the 600,000 promised Astra Zeneca vaccines only 3600 got here at the beginning of the month; this has also been the case in many other provinces.

I also registered on a list with the designated private hospital; they said "in 3 months, cost about 4000THB" but seemed very unsure about it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:06:26 am by joemutt »

Offline fabio

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2021, 05:15:56 am »
Just finished the second vaccine and I got some questions (since the doctor that was there didn't bother to explain). More specifically she said that in people living with HIV there's an issue that there aren't antibodies with the vaccine. That seemed quite ill informed and didn't make any sense,even my ID doc said that there ain't no issue.
Anyways, what matters is that I did the thing and I also start finals in about 3 hours. What's more is that I was treated to coffee right after by some barista 😂 lol.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2021, 08:55:06 am »
Hi Ward, I am no longer in Thailand but recommend that you try to get whatever they jab ASAP, then when Moderna comes later in the year at private hospital get that then.

The Moderna vaccine wont do you any good if you pass up on a Sinovac and get Covid before December.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:39 am »
I would get ANY vaccine i can get ASAP. It is not time to be picky!

Offline wardp

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2021, 08:24:00 am »
Patttaya Memorial moderna 4000 baht pay in advance at hospital -vaccine available October-

Offline Mindless

« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2021, 04:39:32 am »
As you know vaccines from Govt are scarce now and there's that "thai first" policy (nonsense). I may be able to get it through my employer channel, hopefully soon. It's one of the Chinese vaccines, which are not my first choice but if they confirm that, I'll get it right away.

Hugs

Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline daveR

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2021, 07:27:36 am »
I have paid the money at the Pattaya Memorial. I will however take a vaccine from another hospital if it gets here first.

A friend informs me he has two expat friends in Bangkok who today got their first Astrazeneca shot. Both worked here for years paying tax, have Thai tax numbers and have retired. Both over 60. Hospital was Phayatai Hospital Bangkok. They registered a week or two ago at the hospital.

Dave

Offline wardp

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2021, 10:59:11 pm »
Not good news about vaccines here.i payed 2000 deposit. Now I'm told the order for moderna has been halved.its a shambles.i can't see the moderna here until end of year at the earliest.we may have no choice but to take sinopharm even though we can't travel to certain countries as the Chinese vaccines are not on the list of many countries for entry to.canada been one.there was also a mention that 2 million of said moderna delivery would go to Thai red cross.im not sure for whom the vaccines would be distributed to ie HIV patients etc.i know this is a worldwide problem and maybe you are right we may have to take what we can get.and top up later.?

Offline joemutt

« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2021, 08:36:28 am »
I flew back to my country of origin; I will get Moderna this Monday.

I am not impatient by nature, I have been living in Thailand for 26 years, 24 with HIV and on meds.

My boyfriend's parents got vaccinated on day 1 at the local hospital, my boyfriend's vaccination day has been canceled, and I was on waiting list until nobody knows when.

Good Luck everyone.

Offline daveR

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2021, 05:23:25 am »
Woke up this morning a 6am, received an email from the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital saying they were accepting registrations for Moderna. Tried to register online, all sold out. At lunchtime they announced on their Facebook page confirming it was all booked. Delivery would have been between October and January. Not a good performance.

From what I have read some expats in Bangkok and Phuket who qualify through age are getting Astrazeneca.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2021, 09:39:04 pm »
I know this really doesn't help much but Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J are widely availiable in California ( and I assume all other US States).  Just walk into CVS, Wallgreens, or get an appointment with County Health and get the jab.    Just ID required (not always).  Passport counts.  Free doesnt matter if legal US resident, foreigner, undocumented, etc. 

Also because of the vaccinations, everything here is open now.

So not a bad time to take a vacation here if willing to do the Thai Phuket Sandbox or ASQ.   Lot of hoops to jump through.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2021, 02:06:58 pm »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2021, 11:38:20 am »
Just finished the second vaccine and I got some questions (since the doctor that was there didn't bother to explain). More specifically she said that in people living with HIV there's an issue that there aren't antibodies with the vaccine. That seemed quite ill informed and didn't make any sense,even my ID doc said that there ain't no issue.
Anyways, what matters is that I did the thing and I also start finals in about 3 hours. What's more is that I was treated to coffee right after by some barista 😂 lol.

Fabio , trust me its all about our body. Starting from the wuhan first case to millions positive cases around the world, i went all over the world 15hrs flying 18 hrs flying.. even very first few,  months withouts mask or gloves or sanitizers because those time nobody knew when to start how to start  protective measures.. and flights were full those days because people didnt know much about covid. However im still here nothing happened ( dont know about tomorrow) so with vaccine or not hiv or not, your body has its own way to fight it … vaccine could be extra helpful… i was exposed to all everywhere in the world on special permit,even though borders were closed  while others were at home and locked, now almost more than 1.4 years with corona… and heard some people just went to near by Pastry shop and infected with covid 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Im here still reaching to sky daily… its all about each other capacity regardless HiV plus or neg …. So meanwhile vaccine probably will do something to right person in right time 😁😁😁

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2021, 01:48:45 am »
Not sure if this NYT article has been shared on the forum, but thought I'd drop it in this thread.

Covid Is Especially Risky for People With H.I.V., Large Study Finds

People living with H.I.V. are more likely to become severely ill with Covid-19 and more likely to die if hospitalized than others infected with the coronavirus, according to a large new study. Nearly half of H.I.V.-infected men older than 65 who are hospitalized for Covid-19 may die, the study found.

The results, released ahead of an AIDS conference in Berlin, suggest that people with H.I.V. should be first in line for vaccines, along with older adults and others with weak immune systems, scientists said.

The data is especially pressing because many countries with high numbers of people with H.I.V. are battling surges of the coronavirus, fueled by the contagious Delta variant and a dearth of vaccines. About 95 percent of the people with H.I.V. included in the analysis were from sub-Saharan Africa, which is home to two-thirds of H.I.V. cases worldwide.

“The strength of this analysis is that we report data from the continent where the H.I.V. burden actually is occurring,” said Dr. Silvia Bertagnolio, an H.I.V. researcher at the World Health Organization who led the study.

Dr. Bertagnolio and her colleagues analyzed anonymized clinical data for 268,412 people hospitalized with Covid-19 that was reported to the W.H.O. from health facilities and national health registries in 37 countries from January 2020 to April 2021.

Of that group, the researchers had data for 15,522 people from 24 countries who were also infected with H.I.V. They had an average age of 45.5 years, and 37 percent were male. Nearly 92 percent were being treated with antiretroviral drugs. And many of the H.I.V.-infected patients, like others hospitalized for Covid-19, had other conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.

More than one-third of patients with H.I.V. were severely ill at the time of admission, and nearly one in four of those who were hospitalized for Covid-19 died. The risk of death in those older than 65 was higher still, and highest for older men.

After adjusting for age, sex, disease severity and the presence of other conditions, the researchers estimated that H.I.V. infection increases the odds of dying from Covid-19 by 30 percent.

The result contradicts findings from several smaller studies earlier in the pandemic that suggested that H.I.V. infection has no bearing on a person’s risk of severe illness or death from the coronavirus. But the new study is more biologically plausible than that earlier research, given H.I.V.’s ability to disrupt immune defenses, experts said.

“H.I.V. knocks out all the brakes on the immune system, and as a consequence you get this inflammatory response that’s robust and sustained — and now you got Covid on top of that,” said Dr. Steven Deeks, an H.I.V. expert at the University of California, San Francisco. “I would be surprised if H.I.V. was not associated with progression” of Covid-19.

Dr. Deeks disagreed with the study researchers’ decision to adjust the calculations for the presence of other conditions such as obesity because H.I.V. infection itself can cause many of those illnesses. “For 25 years, we’ve been arguing that a history of H.I.V. infection is an independent risk factor of progressing to heart disease, cancer, aging,” he said. Without that statistical adjustment, he said, the increased risk of death for these patients would have most likely been higher than the 30 percent reported by the study.

Many earlier studies had a bias that might have masked some of the risk: Doctors are more likely to admit Covid-19 patients with H.I.V. to the hospital, out of an abundance of caution, leading to patients who are less sick, and more likely to survive, compared with those who do not have H.I.V. That larger pool of patients would make H.I.V. infection appear to be less of a problem than it is, said Dr. Matthew Spinelli, an infectious disease physician at San Francisco General Hospital.

“Early studies may have led people down the wrong track on this question,” he said. The new study’s findings are more in line with large, population-based studies from South Africa and England showing that H.I.V. infection doubles the risk of dying from Covid-19, and from a similar study in New York State, he added.

The new findings should prompt doctors to provide people with H.I.V. swift access to monoclonal antibodies or antiviral drugs to treat Covid-19, Dr. Deeks said. The data also underscores the need to understand how H.I.V. infection affects a person’s response to a Covid vaccine, and whether some people with H.I.V. need boosters as many immunocompromised people do.

AIDS activists successfully fought for inclusion of people with H.I.V. in clinical trials of coronavirus vaccines, but the data is limited. A clinical trial in South Africa showed higher efficacy for the coronavirus vaccine made by Novavax when the analysis excluded people with H.I.V., suggesting that H.I.V. infection undermines the immune response to vaccines.

Out of 100 countries that have released information, 40 have listed people living with H.I.V. as a priority group for Covid-19 vaccination, said Dr. Meg Doherty, who directs H.I.V. programs at the W.H.O.

“We’re hoping in the future that we can make sure that H.I.V. is considered one of those potential risk factors for prioritization” in all countries, she said.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/15/health/covid-hiv-risk-study.html

So I think that's a yes to the booster for me.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2021, 12:32:47 am »

So I think that's a yes to the booster for me.

I hate to think it, but it's kind of looking that way. We're back to wearing masks again in public places, and I still continue to keep my pocket hand- sanitizer with me. ughhhhhhhh.....

Ray 

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2021, 03:35:38 pm »
Hi guys.
I recently got my appointment for the Pfizer vaccine and I'm losing it a bit over the whole deal.

I've read some articles saying it has been tested on HIV-positive people but is it really safe?

I don't go out since March 2020, only to do groceries and I work at home so the possibility of not getting it and maybe... not catching it vs getting it and having something go wrong is eating my head.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2021, 03:49:31 pm »
Yup vaccine is safe and recommend, plenty of links in this thread posted to back this up. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2021, 04:03:19 pm »
Hi guys.
I recently got my appointment for the Pfizer vaccine and I'm losing it a bit over the whole deal.

I've read some articles saying it has been tested on HIV-positive people but is it really safe?

I don't go out since March 2020, only to do groceries and I work at home so the possibility of not getting it and maybe... not catching it vs getting it and having something go wrong is eating my head.

Hello Remo,...

I will be 70 years of age in less than 5 months.  I have been HIV for 35 years. I received the pfizer vaccine, first dose on February 25th and the second one on March 18th. I can assure you all is well, I may have had a little bit of a sore arm for an hour or two on the first and noticed nothing on the second dose.

I chose the first does in the left arm and the second dose in the right arm. All of my immediate family have been vaccinated with no ill effects. And all of my closest friends have been vaccinated with no ill effects. My partner also received the Pfizer, with no ill effects. As of my last covid test on the 12th of the month,( Due to surgery) I tested Negative, and have tested negative, 3 times prior to Covid throught the past year.

Everyone I know, has received either the Phizer, JandJ , or the Moderna vaccines. All are doing great !!

I also know 3 people who have died from Covid, and they did not receive the vaccine.

Hope this helps !!

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fabio

« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »
Hi guys.

Yes it's super safe,I've done mine for about a month and a half. I didn't have any side effects,it was kinda like the flu vaccine (a bit of ache on the arm and some slight fever next day).

Offline remo85

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2021, 06:45:30 pm »

Hello Remo,...

I will be 70 years of age in less than 5 months.  I have been HIV for 35 years. I received the pfizer vaccine, first dose on February 25th and the second one on March 18th. I can assure you all is well, I may have had a little bit of a sore arm for an hour or two on the first and noticed nothing on the second dose.

I chose the first does in the left arm and the second dose in the right arm. All of my immediate family have been vaccinated with no ill effects. And all of my closest friends have been vaccinated with no ill effects. My partner also received the Pfizer, with no ill effects. As of my last covid test on the 12th of the month,( Due to surgery) I tested Negative, and have tested negative, 3 times prior to Covid throught the past year.

Everyone I know, has received either the Phizer, JandJ , or the Moderna vaccines. All are doing great !!

I also know 3 people who have died from Covid, and they did not receive the vaccine.

Hope this helps !!

Ray

Thanks, man. Really appreciate it. I'm still a bit apprehensive from all the freakin media terrorism that's been going on since March 2020 and I'm not gonna get it to cool down till I get it tomorrow  :)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2021, 07:31:08 pm »

Thanks, man. Really appreciate it. I'm still a bit apprehensive from all the freakin media terrorism that's been going on since March 2020 and I'm not gonna get it to cool down till I get it tomorrow  :)

Just remember, you will not be fully vaccinated, until  2 weeks after you receive your second Pfizer shot.

So continue to protect yourself .... Facemasks, washing hands. you need to mitigate the risk factor, then 2 weeks after your second shot, you will be considered fully vaccinated.

Also, No vaccine is 100% effective, so keep that in mind, and now with 83 % of new covid cases being the Delta Variant, ( In the U.S. ) until you are fully vaccinated, after your second Dose, use common sense, when you are out and about !!

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2021, 07:36:18 pm »

Just remember, you will not be fully vaccinated, until  2 weeks after you receive your second Pfizer shot.

So continue to protect yourself .... Facemasks, washing hands. you need to mitigate the risk factor, then 2 weeks after your second shot, you will be considered fully vaccinated.

Also, No vaccine is 100% effective, so keep that in mind, and now with 83 % of new covid cases being the Delta Variant, ( In the U.S. ) until you are fully vaccinated, after your second Dose, use common sense, when you are out and about !!

Ray

Thanks Ray.
You know, one last thing. I haven't checked my blood results in a couple of years but I've been taking my meds. If by any chance my immune system is not... optimal, should I still get it? Do you know?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:08 pm »
Remo,

Bring a book or magazine with you, someting to keep you busy for 15 minutes.

You will have to stay 15 minutes after you get the vaccine, so read something, or use your phone and do the internet thing .  :)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2021, 07:40:04 pm »

Thanks Ray.
You know, one last thing. I haven't checked my blood results in a couple of years but I've been taking my meds. If by any chance my immune system is not... optimal, should I still get it? Do you know?

Why not ? Are you seeing your infectious disease doctor regularly. Does he/ She tell you that everything is OK at each visit

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline remo85

« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2021, 07:44:42 pm »
Why not ? Are you seeing your infectious disease doctor regularly. Does he/ She tell you that everything is OK at each visit

Not really... I was out of a job for a while so I didn't have insurance to cover the drs visits and I just recently got back to work during the pandemic so I have no idea how my numbers are....Does it matter?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2021, 07:49:32 pm »

Not really... I was out of a job for a while so I didn't have insurance to cover the drs visits and I just recently got back to work during the pandemic so I have no idea how my numbers are....Does it matter?

How are you getting your medications refilled. When were your last Labs done ?

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.