Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:38:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 659
Total: 659

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Seborrheic Dermatitis  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Almost2late

Seborrheic Dermatitis
« on: March 08, 2017, 11:04:55 pm »

Ran across an article today about Seborrheic Dermatitis which flair up on me from time to time, actually quite frequently.. sometimes it burns my face when I've been sweating from a workout like my sweat was acid or something, but not always.

What I didn't know is that according to the article SD affects a majority of people with HIV, like 85%-95%, had no idea it was so common with poz peeps.. http://www.pharmacytimes.com/resource-centers/hiv/seborrheic-dermatitis-and-hiv-common-severe

So after looking up SD on the internets some more I found other sources that might be helpful to anyone trying to treat this naturally.. https://draxe.com/seborrheic-dermatitis/

I hope this helps..

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Seborrheic Dermatitis
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:41 pm »
It's actually pretty common in the general population too.

I was in a training session today and I could see that three people around the table had it to varying degrees. I don't think (but obviously don't know 100%) they are poz!

I have this problem, and have had for years. I was hoping it was the rampant uncontrolled HIV that was causing it, but whilst some things have disappeared since I've been on treatment unfortunately the seb derm isn't one of them :(

I've tried various lotions and potions without any success. The only thing that has worked for me is to shave my beard, and every day or so apply a little Cotrimazole cream (bought from supermarket) to the parts of my face that can be affected, so I limit any breakouts to my scalp and behind my ears. Then use a Ketoconzole shampoo every few days to limit the extent of the breakout when it does happen.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Riseandrise

• Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:28:21 pm »
I have been dealing with this every now and then. If I am under a heavy stress this will be one of the extra things that I will be dealing with.

This could be dumb but it works for me.
Try the Neutrogena Oil Free, wash your face and forehead and hopefully you will see the results. It works, at least for me.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:29:57 pm »

I've tried various lotions and potions without any success. The only thing that has worked for me is to shave my beard, and every day or so apply a little Cotrimazole cream (bought from supermarket) to the parts of my face that can be affected, so I limit any breakouts to my scalp and behind my ears. Then use a Ketoconzole shampoo every few days to limit the extent of the breakout when it does happen.

I never tried Cotrimazole but I have been been prescribed Ketoconzole cream. I usually get it on my face and it seems to in outbreak in the mornings before work, urgh😫. The Ketoconzole cream helps alleviate the problem but it does take over night application to get it somewhat under control. My goal is to prevent it from occurring in the first place through better diet and sleep.

Quote from: Riseandriselink=topic=65754.msg723106#msg723106 date=1489285701
I have been dealing with this every now and then. If I am under a heavy stress this will be one of the extra things that I will be dealing with.

This could be dumb but it works for me.
Try the Neutrogena Oil Free, wash your face and forehead and hopefully you will see the results. It works, at least for me.

I do notice that it happens to me when I didn't get enough rest or I'm dehydrated. Possible stress plays a role too, will pay more attention to see if it triggers an outbreak. Will give the Neutrogena a try too.

It's just so fustrating to head to work like that and have to put up with the questions and looks. I realize some are genuinely concerned.

Anyways I'm grateful for the responses, thanks.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:03 am »
I've only had mild issues with this - but my dermatologist prescribed Desonide Cream 0.05%.  I used it daily until it went away and now only put it on one a week (to the areas where my breakouts happened most -- edge of nostrils, along eyebrows, cheeks and around edges of ears) and I rarely have any issues.  If I forget to do the weekly dosing, it comes back.  When that happens, I again use it daily until gone.

My husband has it much worse than I do (he's negative) and has to use it a few times a week.  Even with that he will have breakouts of it, on average, 1-2x a month.  However, the Desonide cream has make a world of difference to him too!!

Mike

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:44 pm »
I've only had mild issues with this - but my dermatologist prescribed Desonide Cream 0.05%.  I used it daily until it went away and now only put it on one a week (to the areas where my breakouts happened most -- edge of nostrils, along eyebrows, cheeks and around edges of ears) and I rarely have any issues.  If I forget to do the weekly dosing, it comes back.  When that happens, I again use it daily until gone.

My husband has it much worse than I do (he's negative) and has to use it a few times a week.  Even with that he will have breakouts of it, on average, 1-2x a month.  However, the Desonide cream has make a world of difference to him too!!

Mike

I will ask my doc about it..
Thank you

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:28:51 pm »
i`ve had this latterly and was recommended Nizoral shampoo(while doing scalp wash face with same) and to use silcocks base after shaving.The recommended use is once every 3 days but that is not really enough so i do it twice every 3 days and that seems to keep the balance in my favour with only a couple of marks on my cheeks.When it first started i had quite a few marks on my face and neck,lesion like on my neck.i thought i was heading into more serious territory.Fortunately for me it was a kinda winnable one and i`m back to mere igor status - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU99BCNRuU
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 02:12:41 pm »
I've found that sunlight (UV) really helps with it. In the summer, if I can get a slight tan on my face I get zero Seb Derm issues. Living in the Uk however I get few chances to do this throughout the year!

Also, on a completely anecdotal and probably un-scientific point, I seem to find it flares worse some time after consuming a larger than normal amount of sugar. It may be purely coincidence so don't read too much into it, but there could be a connection. Of course, Easter weekend may not be the best time to cut down on sugar ;)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:08:12 am »
I have had this issue since l got diagnosed.
The worst part is my scalp.
Pathetic .
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline newbie2016

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:25 am »
Great I wondered of this is because of my meds i can no longer use just any shampoo which is hit and miss

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:09 am »
Great I wondered of this is because of my meds i can no longer use just any shampoo which is hit and miss

Get yourself a shampoo containing Ketoconazole, such as Nizoral or a similar brand. Should be available at your local pharmacy. Use that in addition to a 'regular' shampoo if you have a particular favourite.

I tend to find the shampoo leaves my hair a little dry, so often follow it with a bit of regular shampoo containing conditioner and then rinse off quickly. Seems to work.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline NJ1963

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
My scalp is the worse area.  I believe dermatitis is caused by chronic inflammation which can be worsened by sugar consumption or stress. 

Offline harleymc

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 03:26:08 am »
I get it a bit/ intermittently, but I know a lot of neg folks who have it worse than I do.

I use a ketoconozole cream when/ if it flares up, gone 12 hours later.

On a side note I'd love for my cd4s to 'drop' to 450-500 range from their current 134.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 03:38:41 am »
I get it a bit/ intermittently, but I know a lot of neg folks who have it worse than I do.

I use a ketoconozole cream when/ if it flares up, gone 12 hours later.

On a side note I'd love for my cd4s to 'drop' to 450-500 range from their current 134.

I use the same stuff, it does help a bit.. and so does sunlight..

I'm a bit perplexed about the cd4 drop? seems like an increase, no?

Offline harleymc

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 03:57:08 am »
I was just having a laugh at the linked article saying a cd4 drop , I could only wish to have cd4s that high.   
;-)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.