Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:21:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 335
Total: 336

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: American Men are Chunky  (Read 12560 times)

Offline buginme2

American Men are Chunky
« on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:34 pm »
Have you seen this illustration that compares the bodies of American Men with men from Japan, The Netherlands, and France.

Surprise Americans are the fattest.

http://m.nbcnews.com/health/real-shape-american-man-dudes-youre-porky-8C11394082
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: American Men are Chunky
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:18 pm »

Surprise Americans are the fattest.

EXCUSE ME!

We are just big boned

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:24:47 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »
I say it is the higher smoking rates there, which keep them trimmer. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:48 pm »
A large part of the difference is the other folks, are from countries that promote actually walking and provide world class transportation options.  Living in Montreal, which is much closer to Paris, everyone on the Isle primarily walks (and yes Montreal is an island).  We have excellent mass transit, reasonably priced if not the latest technology, so it's actually easier to travel by mass transit than it is to use a car.

Another factor is the quality of the food in many parts of the US.  American food is inundated with so many additives, many of which are banned in Europe and the use of  preservatives is much lower, as most people buy their food almost daily, as they transit from point to point.

The last thing I noticed, when in Europe, is that they have overweight folks, but I didn't see anyone who was as large as some Americans.  When you are so heavy, that you cannot exit a car, and they have to cut the car top off and use a CRANE to get you out... America we have a problem.

Joe
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:34:54 pm by Killfoile »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:39:10 pm »
A large part of the difference is the other folks, are from countries that promote actually walking and provide world class transportation options.  Living in Montreal, which is much closer to Paris, everyone on the Isle primarily walks (and yes Montreal is an island).  We have excellent mass transit, reasonably priced if not the latest technology, so it's actually easier to travel by mass transit than it is to use a car.

You can live like this in the US if you choose to -- I've not owned a car for 24 years. Hence I've never been overweight.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:48:36 pm »
Americans are not the most obese though, Mexicans have surpassed us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/mexico-obesity_n_3567772.html

Less manual labor and more convenience aren’t the only things that keep Mexico plodding along the path toward obesity -- it's also terrible eating habits, paradoxically fostered in part by low incomes.

"The same people who are malnourished are the ones who are becoming obese," physician Abelardo Avila with Mexico's National Nutrition Institute told CBS News. "In the poor classes we have obese parents and malnourished children. The worst thing is the children are becoming programmed for obesity. It's a very serious epidemic."

Barry Popkin, an obesity expert at the University of North Carolina, attributes much of the spike in Mexican obesity to increased consumption of cheap sugary drinks and mass-marketed snack foods (the type of things that got Americans fat as well), which have displaced home-cooked meals, along with fresh fruits and vegetables.

As Al Jazeera put it in an article published in April:

The speed at which Mexicans have made the change from a diet dominated by maize and beans to one that bursts at the seams with processed fats and sugars poses one of the greatest challenges to public health officials.

I would also like to point out that when it comes to being fat, diet is more important than exercise. Exercise has its own merits but for weight loss proper diet is key.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:18 pm »
You can live like this in the US if you choose to -- I've not owned a car for 24 years. Hence I've never been overweight.

While that's true, my point was that access to "real" mass transit, makes transportation easier and encourages more people to use it.  You can't travel far distances in the US, unless you fly.  Outside of major cities the options are few, unless you have a car.  Few cities have incorporated themselves into the surrounding areas, as opposed to the countries referenced.  That's part of my point.  These other countries have a national transportation system, not just regional, so all the citizens have access to a healthier way of travel.

Joe

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »

If you live in a large urban area you can -- for the majority of the US, you really can not do so easily.  Our communities, outside of big cities are geared toward automobiles.  Yes, we have sort of demanded that for a whole host of reasons, but you can not compare how one can live in NYC or Philly with folks in smaller cities and towns.  I could not get by without my car here in the Richmond area.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »

That American avatar has an impressive butt
Because I Can

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »
If you live in a large urban area you can -- for the majority of the US, you really can not do so easily.  Our communities, outside of big cities are geared toward automobiles.  Yes, we have sort of demanded that for a whole host of reasons, but you can not compare how one can live in NYC or Philly with folks in smaller cities and towns.  I could not get by without my car here in the Richmond area.

Did you notice that I used the word "choose"? You're welcome to structure your life like I have if you are willing to look for a new job and move.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:02:43 pm »
Did you notice that I used the word "choose"? You're welcome to structure your life like I have if you are willing to look for a new job and move.

All Americans can not live in big cities.  It isn't sustainable.  I get your point, but it doesn't really solve the problem that Joe has brought up.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:03:59 pm »
All Americans can not live in big cities.  It isn't sustainable.  I get your point, but it doesn't really solve the problem that Joe has brought up.

Joe used Montreal as an example -- not the entire province of Quebec or even all of Canada. You people are comparing apples to oranges, whereas I am decidedly not.

Sometimes I think I need a lobotomy to converse with some of you.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:08:06 pm »
And simple ole me thought obesity was only a result from eating too much. ;D

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:10:35 pm »
Joe used Montreal as an example -- not the entire province of Quebec or even all of Canada. You people are comparing apples to oranges, whereas I am decidedly not.

Sometimes I think I need a lobotomy to converse with some of you.

What are you talking about?   You are the one who said one could choose to live in a big city?  The OP was talking about American men, not city men, not suburban men. 
Joe pointed out that there is more than a regional need -- so I'm not sure why you suddenly think that I am missing a point about this being local?  So, from where I sit, you are the one who is comparing apples in a post about oranges.

::)

M

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:13:36 pm »
Joe compared Montreal to Paris -- reread his post. I merely stated that there are US cities where one can structure you life in the same way if you choose to do so. I'm sorry if this angers you so much. ::)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:19 pm »
I say it is the higher smoking rates there, which keep them trimmer.

Id say Krispy Kreme, In N Out, Arbys, Taco Bell, Dunkin Donuts, the list is too long has a lot more to do with it than smoking.

In fact, adding to what miss p said about cities, of course walking has a lot to do with it but urban areas in the US have less fast food than suburban areas.  I know here in Seattle we have a definite lack of fast food chains, but go out into the burbs and they are everywhere.

Food choices play an important role. 

I was a little taken a back by the lack of muscle tone. Maybe that wasn't a part of the display
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:35:44 pm by buginme2 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 05:30:12 pm »
Also soda consumption -- Mexico's soft-drink consumption is even higher than the US which explains their obesity.

When I was in France at the beginning of the summer for 10 days I don't think I had a soda the entire time. They also stick to breakfast, lunch and dinner and don't often indulge in snacking. They don't deprive themselves at all though when they do eat, but they also don't have more than one serving of anything generally. I didn't see a single bag of chips in the house of the friends I was staying with. And, OMG they even owned a car while living directly next to a subway station.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 05:47:42 pm »
Yes, let us argue semantic gymnastics.  My point remains if you give people real country-wide transportation options and provide healthier food (even fast food) you can help to reduce the calories consumed.  Fast food companies are some of the first to tailor their food to the locale.  A MD in Paris, or even here, is very different from a US MD.  Plus, their base ingredients don't have half the fillers and preservatives that we have in the US.

Part of it is simply societal, in that each country develops it's own identity... warts and all.

Joe

Offline bocker3

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »
Joe compared Montreal to Paris -- reread his post. I merely stated that there are US cities where one can structure you life in the same way if you choose to do so. I'm sorry if this angers you so much. ::)

First -- I am not angry at all.  Just pointing out that you moved the goal post.  You see, you NEVER mentioned anything about US cities in your post and Joe clarified his point, perhaps re-read that one.

However -- as I stated, your point is valid for a good many Americans, just not all.

I also agree that diet is far more important than exercise.  I know many people who think a workout means they can have those 3 Krispy Kremes........  they overestimate how many calories they burn vs. how many they consume.
Although, I do think many folks miss easy ways to "move more".  I am always amazed at how many people will circle a parking lot to get a closer spot -- closer being 2 or 3 rows.  They also take elevators up a floor or two, when stairways are right there.
I actually think both the diet and the exercise "issues" are hugely impacted by the PACE OF LIFE in the US.  We are always in a hurry, we rush through meals, want a "5 min cooking solution", etc......  if we slowed down a bit, perhaps it would help.

M

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:50 pm »
Also soda consumption -- Mexico's soft-drink consumption is even higher than the US which explains their obesity.

Unfortunately diet soda is not a good alternative. Studies have found diet drinks increase sugar cravings and increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes. I used to drink Coke Zero regularly but now only drink soft drinks when I go to the movies. Unsweetened tea and water are my beverages of choice now.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/11/diet-soda-diabetes-risk-type-2-artificially-sweetened-sugar_n_2663247.html

The study involved 66,118 women, whose beverage habits were tracked over 14 years. The women self-reported their consumption of 100 percent juice, sugar-sweetened drinks and artificially sweetened drinks.

By the end of the study period, 1,369 of the women were diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Researchers found that on average, the women consumed more diet drinks than sugar-sweetened drinks -- 328 milliliters each week of sugar-sweetened beverages and 568 milliliters each week of artificially sweetened beverages.

Both diet and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption was linked with a higher risk of developing diabetes, researchers found. But interestingly enough, when comparing diabetes risk between the diet soda drinkers and regular soda drinkers, the diet drinkers had an even higher risk of diabetes.

Meanwhile, the women who only reported drinking 100 percent juice did not have an increased risk of diabetes, according to the study.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 07:43:29 pm »

I also agree that diet is far more important than exercise.  I know many people who think a workout means they can have those 3 Krispy Kremes........ 

Everyone's body is different, but I think the major prob is inactivity over diet. I overeat constantly. Hell I just downed a bowl of spaghetti with bread and butter AND just got back from Dunkin Donuts and ate 6 donuts and a glass of milk in one sitting. This is fairly common for me. But I am very very active, I workout 3 times a week (with weights) and walk/jog several miles a week. I'm anything but fat.

miss easy ways to "move more".  I am always amazed at how many people will circle a parking lot to get a closer spot -- closer being 2 or 3 rows. 

^THIS I see it everyday. People will wait for 3 minutes, and block everyone else, just to get that spot near the door. I actually park as far away from the door as possible jsut to get in that extra bit of exercise.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline bocker3

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »
Everyone's body is different, but I think the major prob is inactivity over diet. I overeat constantly. Hell I just downed a bowl of spaghetti with bread and butter AND just got back from Dunkin Donuts and ate 6 donuts and a glass of milk in one sitting. This is fairly common for me. But I am very very active, I workout 3 times a week (with weights) and walk/jog several miles a week. I'm anything but fat.

Very true....  Sid can eat anything he wants (he grazes every evening) and he never puts much weight on.  He eats far more than I do -- and far more junk, yet his waist has been 30-31 for the entire 23 years I've known him.  He is about the same height as me too.  I look at a donut and I gain a pound.  If I didn't play singles tennis a couple times a week, I can't imagine what I'd look like.  However, I do try to eat better foods -- with only occasional "bad stuff".

M

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »
I think the elephant in the room is the glaring amount of poverty in the United States.  Let's face it, healthy food = expensive food. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »
Yall being mean . Its a known fact that 95% of the people south of the mason Dixon line suffers glandular problems  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:29 pm »
Portion control.  How much is regularly offered/served/prepared, expected, and consumed.  Quality of food (additives, preservatives, processing...).   Kinds of foods consumed (proportion of fat, carbos, and proteins...)  Combinations of food eaten. Price of food. 

I don't think its activity so much. Americans are VERY hard workers and I think they move around just as much as anyone else...

Price:   I think I might buy 1 bag of potato chips every 2 years in Switzerland, where they are 6-8 bucks a bag.  I know they are bad for me so I don't buy them anyway, but price is a deterrent.   

Also, most meat is EXPENSIVE.  We all eat it but we don't buy such large quantities.   

Also, wine with dinner... (Wine with lunch still, in some countries!)  Also yeah, maybe smoking... But smoking rates are WAY down in Europe, too.

I think its about diet.  How much and what is consumed. 

Look at pics of Americans from the 30's or WWII era.  Everyone is fit and trim....

Even through the 50's and 60's....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:45 pm »
I noticed last year that portion size was down, a SMIDGEON, in the US.. I can remember some visits in the early 2000's when supersize was at its zenith.. Amazing quantities of food plopped on every plate at every table in the restaurants.  My nephews and nieces, kids, served piles and piles of food!  I was shocked, having become use to my new normal here in Europe.
As for kids, yeah, in many rich countries, they are probably more sedentary than older generations were as kids...  There are fat epidemics in young people in many countries now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:57:29 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »
The Dutch may be genetically "gifted" in this respect. From Amsterdam all the way through northern Germany, lots of tall, slim, men..  Don't know first hand for Sweden Norway and Finland, but I suspect it might be the same...

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:57 am »
I think the elephant in the room is the glaring amount of poverty in the United States.  Let's face it, healthy food = expensive food.

I've heard this repeated so often that it almost seems to be a universal truth.  I guess I can't fathom how being poor can cause you to be overweight.  Reminds of the news report the other morning indicating that millions of people were going hungry because the EBT system was temporarily down .  Really, within mere hours?

I'll guarantee my food budget is much less than the average and consists mainly of healthy foods.  Perhaps it's the fact that healthy foods require preparation rather than simply opening a bag of chips?  I'm a people watcher and I tend to view what's in peoples' cart when shopping.  Heavy people tend to have the usual culprits where as the more fit people have the healthier options. 

Unless you live in a highly urban area, there's also no reason you can't have a small yard garden.  Healthy foods plus the benefit of exercise.  But my belief is that some people would rather sit in front of their tv with a bag of Oreos. 

I also believe obesity patterns are taught and passed on.  None of this is empirical, simply my views.  Those who can access my family list on FB will notice I don't have a single overweight relative in my immediate family. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 11:09:47 am »
I've heard this repeated so often that it almost seems to be a universal truth.  I guess I can't fathom how being poor can cause you to be overweight. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:53 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

Plus try to imagine having little money plus little time and hungry kids and the food becomes quick and crap and the treats cheap and fat. Plus our UK gov stripped so much away from activity based organizations while at the same time putting on the Olympics , Still the playing fields off Eton did not get sold off for housing as so many off the state schools did in the 80 - 90 , s .

Also Its very hard for fat people to keep up a good riot .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline buginme2

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 07:47:15 pm »

Also Its very hard for fat people to keep up a good riot .

That's s conspiracy I can get behind.  America is ready for a revolution butwe are all too fat and lazy to get off the couch.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 08:41:59 pm »
That's s conspiracy I can get behind.  America is ready for a revolution butwe are all too fat and lazy to get off the couch.
But the tea-partiers got off their couches and created a mini-revolution.  I don't see Americans as lazy at all.  Maybe overweight but I think its apples and oranges..

US is an incredibly productive country, for labour, for GNP, etc. I also think people are pretty involved in whatever social issues move them, and informed. Though maybe each camp considers the other campsites poorly informed... 

Maybe percentage of people who vote is only medium...

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:52 pm »

I also believe obesity patterns are taught and passed on.  None of this is empirical, simply my views.  Those who can access my family list on FB will notice I don't have a single overweight relative in my immediate family.

I have to agree that this is part of the problem. I see it in my own family. My Aunt is Morbidly obese, her 2 boys are big, one is probably 450-500 pounds. I remember as a child visiting them and dinners consisted of mac and cheese and cake. Those are the only obese people in my family. As a child I only had cake on my birthday...PERIOD.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Habersham

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »
Reminds of the news report the other morning indicating that millions of people were going hungry because the EBT system was temporarily down .  Really, within mere hours?

But there are a lot of Wolfie's on your friends list and anyone can look at that!!!   ")
Because I Can

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:46 pm »
I have a branch of my family that is massively obese (over 350 lbs!) Two of them have died in their thirties already (early onset DM and smoking-- a lethal combo). I have a good chance of outliving them even with AIDS.

They don't move a lot, they live in American suburbs where you can drive everywhere and they spend their free time on the couch. They eat a TON, and constantly. When we have a family event together they stop on the way for food, and bring snacks!

I've vacationed with fatter people (they weren't morbid by any means). I've noticed that they eat a lot, and with more regular frequency.

It's all how much you take in and how much you burn. I don't think there's much genetics.

7/10/13: Oraquick at Home (+)
7/11/13: CD4 <20, VL 286,000
7/26/13: Start Stribild, Bactrim, Azithromycin
8/13/13: CD4 64, VL 1194
9/11/13: CD4 87, VL 511
10/14/13: CD4 164, VL 34
10/15/13: Stop Azithromycin!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 11:09:44 pm »
But there are a lot of Wolfie's on your friends list and anyone can look at that!!!   ")

Was fortunate enough to delete before .......but you're still an ass.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:21:50 pm by wolfter »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.