Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:19:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP VERRY WORRIED  (Read 26477 times)

Offline ILUVLIFE

PLEASE HELP VERRY WORRIED
« on: September 25, 2006, 06:45:41 pm »
EXACTLY EIGHT WEEKS AGO I HAD UNPROTECTED SEX IN SWIMMING POOL FOR ABOUT TEN MINTUES. I WENT TO THE CLINIC AND TESTED FOR HIV AND IT  WAS NEGATIVE AT SEVEN AND HALF WEEKS BUT I ALSO GOT STD TEST AND ONLY HAD CHLAMYDIA I . WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF ME STILL GETTIN HIV. ANN IF YOU CAN REPLY THIS WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL OR WHOMEVER WOULD LIKE TO.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: PLEASE HELP VERRY WORRIED
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 07:05:03 pm »
By unprotected sex do you mean vaginal or anal intercourse?  Are you a male or a female? Makes a difference in terms of risk.

However, I will say that 1) the average time to seroconversion is 22 days and 2) all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident.

A negative at 7.5 weeks is very, very encouraging. I would expect you to continue to test negative.

Learn from this experience. You can have as much sex as you want without regard to the HIV status of your partners as long as whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a latex condom. No exceptions.

Please clarify if I have missed something.

Also, you do not have to write everything in caps. It's considered rude  and the equivalent of shouting. We "get" that you are concerned without your having to do that.

Andy Velez

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:29:12 am »
By unprotected sex do you mean vaginal or anal intercourse?  Are you a male or a female? Makes a difference in terms of risk.

However, I will say that 1) the average time to seroconversion is 22 days and 2) all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident.

A negative at 7.5 weeks is very, very encouraging. I would expect you to continue to test negative.

Learn from this experience. You can have as much sex as you want without regard to the HIV status of your partners as long as whoever is the insertive partner is always wearing a latex condom. No exceptions.

Please clarify if I have missed something.

Also, you do not have to write everything in caps. It's considered rude  and the equivalent of shouting. We "get" that you are concerned without your having to do that.

Im sorry it was with a female and it was vaginal for ten minutes. And i do truly appreciate your help. Are my chances slim or did they increase?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:07:54 am »
OK, thanks for the clarification.

My opinion remains the same. The negative at 7.5 weeks is very encouraging. Given that it was a single incident I expect you will continue to test negative. Re-test at 13 weeks.

And remember, in the future that whenever you have intercourse you need to wearing a latex condom. Unprotected intercourse means you are risking your life. It's as stark and as simple as that. You can enjoy yourself -- just wear a condom every time.

Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 02:34:24 pm »
Hi,

I just deleted your newest thread before it drew any responses. Please keep your entries in your original thread and don't start a new one everytime you have another question or commnet. You can re-enter it here if you wish.
Andy Velez

Offline ILUVLIFE

seroconversion time
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 03:19:50 pm »
im sorry about the that but i have another question its been nine weeks and my hiv test was negative . i have been told you couldnt go by symptoms to diagnose hiv. but to let you know i feel fine. and im afraid that im one of those people who will convert after the four to six week seroconversion period. im perfectly healthy that i know of as of last week from the check up . i play football and i work out  could this effect my test i drink occasionally and smoke weed once a week. my last exposure unprotected with a female and i am a male was nine weeks ago i just wanted to know if my test was pretty conclusive. and im not on chemo or anything like that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 03:41:59 pm »
A negative at 9 weeks is virtually an all clear. To remover any doubts I suggest you follow the CDC recommendation which is to test at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident.

Nothing you are reporting leads me to expect that you will get other than another negative test result.

You need to take some nice deep and slow breaths because you are working your nerves unnecessarily and all to no good purpose. Really.

Andy Velez

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 09:00:28 am »
i just want to thank you very much andy you have been a big help for and really eased my mind. i really hope i will continue to test negative at the 13 week mark. But one more question why is the virus fragile and harder to transmit more so from a woman to a man?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 09:16:49 am »
Life,

The hiv virus is said to be fragile because it is very sensitive to changes in its environment. It has little "plugs" on its surface that need to find the correct "sockets" on the correct kind of cell and plug into these sockets. The plugs as well as the surface membrane of the virus are easily damaged and rendered useless by changes in temperature, pH levels and moisture levels. When the plugs and/or surface of the virus becomes damaged, it cannot plug into another cell and infect.

Transmission and infection is harder to accomplish from a woman to a man because the correct cells that hiv needs to plug into are only found within the urethra (pee hole) on the man's penis. This is a very small area and difficult for the virus to enter into. On the other hand, a vagina or rectum has much more surface area and more of the correct cells present.

I totally agree with Andy - your nine week negative is unlikely to change, although you do need to confirm that at the three month point.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 09:37:32 am »
hi ann thanx for replying i had sex in a chlorine filled pool at 9 weeks i took a an hiv test and a std screening, negative for hiv and had no other stds other than chlamydia. would chlorine have some affect on the transmission would it make it easier to contract or no but i assume it wouldnt have an affect because i got chlamydia out the whole deal.

Offline SunshineBreeze

• Caribbean HIV/AIDS awareness portal
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 09:52:09 am »
ILUVLIFE,

Stop stressing, if you tested negative once get tested in three months time and if you still get a negative please count your blessings and practice safe sex at all times.

You can't look at someone and know what disease they are carrying so stop taking chances with your life.

Respect yourself..........love yourself............and protect yourself!

TOO BLESSED TO STRESSED!!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 10:05:01 am »
Life,

Where you had intercourse doesn't matter, it's the fact that you had intercourse without a condom that matters. However, the odds are still in your favour of coming out of this hiv negative, especially with that negative result at nine weeks. Most people who have actually been infected will test positive by SIX weeks. Your result is not likely to change, but you did have a risk and you do need to confirm your negative status at three months.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 10:38:07 am »
you know i really do appreciate your info. you know when you call the cdc hotlines 4-6 weeks seroconversion is not even mentioned its 3-6 months but form you info you have here six moths is useless unless your and die hard drug user or going through chemo. im sorry july 20th 2006 was the time i had this unprotected encounter. sept 20,2006 was the day i took my hiv test the were sent off that night to the lab and by the next night they faxed my results to doctors office it came back negative. so about nine and half now im negative what are the chances i will serocnvert past this point. mind you i feel very healthy, im not going through chemo or anything and i play football and work out. could this effect my test and at nine and a half how conclusive are my results?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:45:13 am »
Life,

You've been told several times now that your results are not likely to change. Only a three month test is conclusive - but your nine week negative is the next best thing.

Forget the CDC. They contradict themselves all the time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 08:59:52 am »
hi everyone i would just like to thank all the helpers in this forum for giving and providing us with all the helpful information on hiv.                       
with that being said i have a few more questions.

1. how many people on this forum who tested negative at six weeks serconvert past that point?

2. what exactly does a depleted immune system mean?

3.if i had one unprotected sexual encounter with a female that was hiv positive and had an depleted immune sysytem would that also stretch my seroconversion period to the 3 to six month period. Keep in mind my immune system is fine.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 09:07:01 am »
I can't recall anyone who tested poz here after a negative at 6 weeks.

A depleted immune system is not a subtle event. All kinds of things are usually collapsing physically when that happens and you wouldn't have to wonder if it was happening. You would be in your doctor's office or a hospital. No kidding. When your immune system goes down to that extent all kinds of extreme stuff starts happening.

Andy Velez

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 12:33:55 pm »
sorry but i have a somemore questions and i would truly appreciate you alls knowledge.

1. if you have an healthy immune system would it take longer to develop antibodies for hiv or would it fall right into the 22 days and four to six weeks category ? mind you i havent had no sex since my unprotected incident and no drugs or nothig

2. i took my test at nine weeks exactly it all came back negative. the girl i had sex with is not known to b hiv poz but she hasnt been tested it was only a one time thing for ten mintues in water and i just wanted to know the percentage or some indication of how accurate my test at nine weeks is ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 12:38:26 pm »
Your question was answered in the above post.

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 12:52:24 pm »
where ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 12:56:13 pm »
You don't read the replies that are given you? Try replay#6

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2006, 01:21:35 pm »
yes i do im sorry im just so worried that im that person thats going to seroconver past nine weeks. but this is my last question  i took antibodies on a monday for chlamydia and on a wednsday i took the shot for it now on that wednsday i also took my hiv test would those  things effect my hiv test ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 01:25:41 pm »
No, antibiotics will not affect your results.

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:02 pm »
thank you vey much rapid rod i really appreciate  your input

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 10:40:08 pm »
r
another question if my lymph nodes were to swell in neck will just one swell or will all of them swell and is it painful and noticeable?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 02:50:07 am »
No, it would not be painful. If you THINK you have swollen nodes, see your doctor.

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2006, 02:12:55 pm »
i went to go see my doctor today because of some concerns i have with lymph nodes and i have a slightly swollen lymph node in the back of my neck just below my hairline thats hardly noticiable but you can feel it. he told me it can be from many things. he also took a look at my throat everything looked perfect my blood pressure is great and a perfectly normal tempature. (no fever)  but i do feel pains underneath my armpits that last for like two seconds and when i cough my abs hurt i do play football just had a game and i did slide on my stomach so maybe that cold be it  im not feeling sick or anything like that no night sweats unless its extremely hot in the room but last night i did sweat underneath my left armpit when i woke up my sleve was a little wet . i wondering if im expierincing ars symptoms. please help i really do appreciate you guys

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2006, 02:43:28 pm »
Life,

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only the appropriate test at the appropriate time will reliably reveal your true hiv status.

I do not expect your negative seven and a half week test result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2006, 02:50:25 pm »
thank you very much ann i made a mistake and i really took my test at nine weeks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 03:03:54 pm »
Life,

It's highly unlikely that you will go on to test anything other than negative at your three month test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 07:40:44 pm »
does it sound like i have ars?

1. one swollen lymph node on the back of my neck under my hairline barely noticable.

2.mouth and lips are dry most of the day.

3. no fever

4. i have a cough but only when i try to clear my throat. (not persitant)

5. sore underneath my armpits but only when i flex the muscles do they hurt. left arm pit sweated last night while sleeping.

6. no rash

7. my ears clogg alot lately from time to time

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 08:52:06 pm »
NO, it doesn't sound like ARS. Your more likely to get hit by a falling cow from the sky,than your negative test to turn positive after nine weeks.

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2006, 10:00:18 am »
moderators i am very scared a nine week negative i dont use iv drugs or anything. and for the first time in my life i have a swollen lymph node on the back of my neck that i can feel when i rub it. the doctor said it nothing to worry about but doctors will say anything. i have pain on the left side of my back that hurts when i breathe time to time im scared ann, rapid, and andy, why is all this happening i dont feel sick i feel fairly good and i dont have a fever. so why is my lymph swollen i dont know my doctor said it could be from a cut or scrape that got infected. i feel pains in the back of both my knees from time to time for like two seconds at times and as well as my under arms for two seconds as well please help i talked to my mom she said im becoming a hypercohondriac i dont want to believe her

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2006, 10:08:45 am »
What do you expect anyone to tell you here other than what you have already heard?

With a negative at 9 weeks it's virtually a slam dunk that you will continue to test negative.

You don't seem to be listening to anything but your fears. If you have symptoms that's something to discuss with your doctor, although you don't seem very interested in what he has to say either.

Maybe it's time to see a therapist or other mental health professional to get some help with dealing with your fears.

Andy Velez

Offline kitty87

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2006, 10:11:36 am »
you will be fine im thinking of you just try and stay busy
x kitty x

Offline kitty87

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 10:13:10 am »
A  6 week test is at least 90 percent accurate your looking good to bein ok
x kitty x

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2006, 11:46:19 am »
just  asking a question if you say vast majority seroconvert  within 4 to 6 weeks on average being 22 days  whats the need for the three months ? just asking! who wouldnt be in the vast majority?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2006, 01:25:33 pm »
Kitty,

You are in no position to give advice on this website. Please keep any further comments in your own thread ONLY.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2006, 01:29:45 pm »
Life,

The three month window period exists to catch the rare person who takes longer than six weeks to seroconvert and test positive. Hiv is serious and we don't want to miss anyone's infection. So far, I've yet to see anyone test negative at six weeks and test positive after (over the same incident). This doesn't mean it never happens, but it is rare.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2006, 02:24:12 pm »
does it matter which generation test that was used cause im not sure   i did it through lab corp does the four to six week rule apply and can i still count on my nine week negative to be virtually all clear

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2006, 04:00:44 pm »
i would truly appreciate that advice

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 01:40:48 am »
i dont mean to be rude but i just wanted somebody to answer my question i have these pains in my groin where i noticed a swollen lymph node on my left side and the back of my knees hurt from tim to time and my under arms have pain im convienced lymph nodes are swelling there in them as well i have a lymph node on the back of my neck  but still no fever i have a noticable node on my groin and neck and feel pains everywhere and with a neg. nine week result and  with lord knows what generation test they used if that even matters (they drew blood) im scared im getting ars and im one of those people that will show positive at the twelve and thirteen week mark. please reply this would ease my mind

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 02:45:17 am »
Pain in the lymph nodes is not any indication of ARS. Swollen lymph nodes do not cause pain in ARS. I suppose you are diagnosing yourself for swollen lymph nodes? Like you've been told in the past, symptoms or lack of symptoms is no way of determining if someone has been infected. Only a test at the appropriate time will tell.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 06:20:03 am »
Life,

The generation of test only matters in the first few weeks. It doesn't matter by week nine. Your nine week negative result is highly unlikely to change.

If your lymph nodes are bothering you, keep you hands off them and show them to a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 07:47:13 am »
but  the one on the back of my neck and groin are not hurting its just under my arms and  both back of knees im just scared i heard in ars a fever is almost always present is this true

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2006, 08:25:28 am »
Life,

You've been told that symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection.

Stop looking at your body through the lens of hiv. Your nine week negative result is highly unlikely to change.

If your lymph nodes are bothering you, keep you hands off them and show them to a doctor. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 10:37:34 am »
hey moderators can you answer me this please i called the place where i got my hiv test dont at which was lab corp they told me they just check for the virus in the test is the antibody test more accurate than that or is it about equal

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
please help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2006, 01:48:19 pm »
Life,

I could not possibly answer your question as I have no idea what you are trying to ask.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ILUVLIFE

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2006, 02:14:48 pm »
i know you guys are all busy answering thousands of questions all day in the forums that been created, and i apologize for sounding impatient when it comes to my questions. Ann, Andy,Rapid rod and others whom i forgot i appreciate you all very much the internet will have you loose your mind over hiv. i have been scared everyday posting questions regarding my status. But I have this question to ask if you will do so i will truly appreciate it. Truthfully july 20, 06 was the date of my unprotected episode that happened only once and for ten minutes which you already know. I got tested for hiv sept.20,06  which is 63 days exactly after it happened (negative)(9 weeks). i was feelin fine before all that now its Oct. 6,06 i have hemmrhoids minor case its just itchy and bleeds a little after bowel movement (not watery). I have a swollen lymph node on the back of my neck that i can feel when i rub my finger across it. I never had one in my life until now. Underneath my arms do ache from time to time  and i have lower back pains, which i had for a while, i have sorta something like a cough but only when i clear my throat, my throat doees not hurt and i do not have fever, no night sweats unless it hot but thats it. Moderators here say you can not diagnose your problemsbased on symptoms i do believe that. I try to say this all in my mind the pain underneath my arms pain in neck from time to time but the lymph node cant come from anxiety.....the other symptoms maybe. but no serious cough head aches nausea, diareha lymph nodes all over my body (just that one on my neck). Im scared i dont know what the lymph node is from because im not sick i dont feel sick i dont know what it could be from so i assume it is hiv, i assume my 9th week test was just re assuriing but i will test positive at the 12 week mark. which is next week. and also be the first one here to test positve at the six week mark, i would love to prove my-self wrong but its hard going out here playing football and knowing that next week i might have to stop forever. Feed back on the question i posted earlier about the blood test for hiv searching only for a virus instead of antibodies how accurate are those At 9 weeks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2006, 06:10:39 pm »
Yes your problems can come from anxiety and stress. You can't diagnosis yourself. There is no lymph node pain in ARS. Keep your fingers off your lymph nodes or you will cause them to swell and become sore. Hemorrhoids are not a symptom of ARS. You chances of getting hit by a car is greater than your test becoming positive after nine weeks negative result.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.