Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 346
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV RISK? Breif oral sex... AM I AT RISK??? Please help!  (Read 17572 times)

Offline Maverick86

HIV RISK? Breif oral sex... AM I AT RISK??? Please help!
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
I went over to  a guys house and we ended up in his room where I have him what couldn't be more than a minute blowjob. I deepthroated him a couple of times. I can't really say that I tasted pre cum but not sure... Am I at risk... Im aware that HIV is air and light sensitive and saliva has things to help inhibit the spread or what not.

Please help!!!!

Offline Maverick86

Re: HIV RISK? Breif oral sex... AM I AT RISK??? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »
PLEASE HELP... Ann, Andy?????

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:45 pm »
Maverick, you're worrying needlessly. Your saliva contains over a dozen proteins and elements which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV if it is present.

Sexually the only confirmed risks for the transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you always use condoms for either of those activities you will be well protected.

There's no need for testing nor for further concern on your part.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:35:21 pm »
Ok... Even the event that there was HIV in the pre cum I'd still be protected...??? What if there wasn't enought saliva in my mouth during oral...? My mind is my worst enemy.

Has there ever been a case where some one got HIV from giving a blowjob no matter if it was deepthroat or not???

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 01:42:57 pm »
You're right, at this moment your mind is your worst enemy.

Although from time to time there are reports of transmission through giving oral, for a number of reasons they never seem to hold up under careful scrutiny. Sometimes memory is faulty because of alcohol or drug use and sometimes time has passed and people forget. Or they don't want to acknowledge something that happened.

More to the point are the results of longterm studies of sero-discordant partners, both gay and straight. They had lots of mutual unprotected oral sex and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. To date not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

You are worrying yourself needlessly. Get off of that slippery slop of what ifs right now. There is no need for testing nor for further concern on your part.   
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »
PS You do need to be aware that other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So if you are sexually active we recommend that at least annually you should have a full STD panel done. And test more frequently should you have any unexplained symptoms. 
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »
Thanks Andy. One more thing... Tho you sound very confident about that Info, how can I be sure to believe this info over other sites of forums On the web...

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:19 pm »
So again with my situation I have absolutely no reason to fear Of infection givin that I gave that guy a blowjob and stopped a min into it even if HIV was present?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:54 pm »
We are very careful with our responses and evaluate each incident individually. Our responses are based on HIV science and from decades of experience in the epidemic. You can read about us in the Profiles.

It is very unfortunate there is so much conflicting and incorrect "information" being put out on the web.

You can of course get tested and collect the inevitable negative result if you want to. But it's really unnecessary in your case. Even if the guy is HIV+ you were not at risk. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »
Thank you Andy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »
You're welcome. Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:36:08 am »
Ok I will...and your your sure that the saliva and air exposer would have prevented the infection if HIV was present.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:59 pm »
Yes. Absolutely. Now really, move on or you're going to find yourself getting a Time Out for coming back repeatedly over a non-risk.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 01:55:30 pm »
One more question... Have they done studies with saliva and HIV to prove this?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »
Saliva may carry detectable "components" of HIV (such as viral RNA and proviral DNA), but these are not infectious on their own. The environment that saliva provides is far too harsh for infectious particles to remain intact and viable.

There are a number of possible mechanisms that have been suggested, which might explain why saliva seems to be so good at destroying HIV. Specific enzymes present in saliva may be important, or the effect of antibodies in saliva. Additionally, the saliva is "hypotonic" and has a tendency to disrupt any cells which may be floating around in it. It's pretty much certain that it's the combination of these factors that mean HIV is not transmitted in saliva.
Saliva is a part of the body's natural defences against infection. And the HIV virus is actually quite fragile.

And now I am going to warn you that we're not going to continue further back and forths about this issue. You did not have a risk for HIV. And if you come back again you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from this site.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:29:57 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »
Thanks for the explanation Andy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
OK. You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »
Andy I'm sorry, this event happened about 2 1/2 months ago and for the past two weeks I've been haveing bowel issues diarrhea and really gassy and I have a sore throat that lasted 2 days... I'm worried that these are ARS symptoms. I haven't had a fever or rash or night sweats. Please help
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:46:53 pm by Maverick86 »

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 01:37:42 pm »
And my shoulder and joints were kinda sore also.

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »
Help please andy

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:16:52 pm »
You did not have a risk. And if you had genuinely had a risk (which you did not), you would not be having having ARS symptoms 2 1/2 months later.

But maybe you need to get tested at 3 months just to collect the inevitable negative result for your peace of mind.

And I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here about a non-risk you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:46 pm »
To finish this worry off, would I have had them earlier?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:22:39 pm by Maverick86 »

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »
Just trying to gather the info.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:20:08 pm »
No, you're just feeding your unfounded fears. You didn't have a risk and I am not going to indulge you with further exchanges about it.

Get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
I just don't understand how I wouldnt be at risk if there was HIV in the pre cum...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:11 pm »
I just don't understand how I wouldnt be at risk if there was HIV in the pre cum...
Reread the replies Andy has already given you, he explained why.

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
Rapid, is there any way that the saliva might not have protected me since it was deeper in my throat... I mean doesn't air kill the virus too? I'm worries that I may have gotten it from the saliva not working like you say It does.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:55 am »
You were not at risk. If you come back again about this issue you are going to get a Time Out from the site.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:34 am »
Andy could you pleases answer it and I'll be done. I'm sorry.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 11:17:48 am »
Your question doesn't make any sense. It comes out of cuckoo thinking about how HIV infection happens (and doesn't happen).

I'll just say one last time: you did not have a risk.

And now you have a 28 day Time Out from the site. Get on with your life. And if you can't let go of this unwarranted fear then see a therapist or other professional to discuss the matter and get some help.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get around the Time Out by starting a new account. We'll spot that right off and it will get you banned permanently.

Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

9 week test results: NEGITIVE. Please help with further questions!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 11:40:59 am »
I had unprotected oral sex breifly with a guy no more than a min or two and I became very worried. I tested NEGITIVE at around 9-10 week mark. My huge question is have you ever seen a 9-10 week NEGITIVE turn positive???? I'm worried about that happening.

I have read that you have said that "The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A negative result at six weeks is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point."

If I was in fact positive would I have tested positive when I got tested????

Please don't ignore the questions and give me your professional insight!

Thank you so much!!!

Offline Maverick86

Re: 9 week test results: NEGITIVE. Please help with further questions!!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 12:02:19 pm »
Andy... Ann... Anyone please! Can you please answer my questions. Worried!!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:00 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please follow our rule in the future as stated in the opening thread of this section. Members are supposed to keep all entries in the same thread.

As to your latest question there is nothing new to say to you. You have already been told repeatedly that you were not at risk. If you decide to re-test you will of course get another negative result. It's no surprise that you tested negative because nothing you are reporting put you at risk for HIV.

We're not going to start another round of responses with you about this non-risk event. If you come back about it again you will get another Time Out, but this time it will be for 56 days. You are creating drama over a non-risk.

Cut it out and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 12:56:53 pm »
Andy I apologize! I just simply wanted those two questions answered and I was going to move on! Honestly! I just wanted to know if you have seen a NEGITIVE turn to positive after 9 months.

Please don't ban me or put me on a time out. Please just answer thoses 2 questions. And I'm done. If I come back just ban me. Please.

Thank you.

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
No, I've never seen a 9-10 week negative turn positive at 3 months. And yes, if you were HIV positive you'd have tested positive by now.

If you come back again before your three month test you are getting a Time Out.

Consider yourself warned. 
Andy Velez

Offline Maverick86

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:25 pm »
Your not just saying that to shut me up, your being honest about your answers?

Thank you for your patience, time and answering my questions Andy.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2012, 04:34:29 pm »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result,  or no-risk situation will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »
Your not just saying that to shut me up, your being honest about your answers?

Thank you for your patience, time and answering my questions Andy.

No one authorized to give answers/risk assessment on this site does so to "just shut" people up. That's a hefty insult.

We are in the business of educating people about HIV transmission. You have been told, over and over, that you had no risk. You really think we'd just let someone scamper off, possibly infected, because we didn't want to bother with them?

It's probably time that you re-read this thread, and think about what has become an extremely irrational fear of HIV that seems to totally ignore whatever science you throw at it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 05:56:39 pm »
And now you do have a 56 day Time Out. It's not because of your insulting non-question about my previous response. It's because I warned you if you came back again about your non-risk before your test you would get a time out.

Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new name. We'll spot that right off and it will get you banned permanently.

Whether you believe it or not, HIV is not your problem. You're going to test negative again and hopefully that will allow you to cut out this drama and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.