Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:56:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 711
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 710
Total: 710

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable- different meanings?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Loa111

Undetectable- different meanings?
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:17:25 pm »
Undetectable must have different meanings?
I’m <40 which I thought was undetectable, though today I learned my hospital follows European guidelines where way below <20 is considered undetectable. The goal of my treatment being to get me to that totally undetectable level. Assuming I understand this correctly?
This is what the new hiv nurse told me today.

Also he said by European standards goal is to get CD4 above 500 and that when I get over 400 CD4 they can consider allowing me to stop the antibiotic. I’m 87 now so a journey to go.

Curious if I understand correctly ?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Undetectable- different meanings?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:27:08 pm »
40 is Undetectable, 20 is Undetectable and so is 200.

It depends the context and the labs used.

If its transmission than 200 is accepted as being UD and from a treatment guidelines clinically speaking its going to be anything sustained under 50. If its research they can go to 1-2 copies per ml.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 03:28:50 pm »
Also he said by European standards goal is to get CD4 above 500 and that when I get over 400 CD4 they can consider allowing me to stop the antibiotic. I’m 87 now so a journey to go.

Must be brand new and unpublished because never in my life heard this one before and I watch developments and EU reporting closely. (Asides from statistical reporting on the health goals for nations that includes treatment outcomes like CD4 goals)

But try not to overthink it, stick with the program and there might be a reason why they want you to be over 500 or when you get closer to 200-300 for a few months more context given, or ask next time you see them.

P.S

As example on the UD definition.

The EU standard under the Dublin Declaration (Monitoring of HIV) for reporting is a viral load threshold for viral suppression of <200 copies/mL = UD

Firstly to allow for nations that don't have the labs going lower than that and also undetectable viral load (<200 copies/ml) are the levels that the virus becomes untransmittable

If you really want to dive into EU standards and recommendations this is the place to start BTW: https://ecdc.europa.eu
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:54:00 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:03 pm »
Thanks for that info Jim. I’d an inkling he might have been a bit off on the info or perhaps a different interpretation.I was just in for 2nd follow up hep b shot today so was not an official ID doc visit, so info didn’t come directly from doc.

Nurse gave me impression given time by meds will get my VL well below <20?

Anyway all I can do is pop my pill every morning, and eat healthy n exercise, n get on with it. Seems their putting me on a 3 month appointment schedule which will be nice.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »
Anyway all I can do is pop my pill every morning, and eat healthy n exercise, n get on with it. Seems their putting me on a 3 month appointment schedule which will be nice.

Indeed

Took me a long time to get to 3 months so you are doing far better and quicker than I was.

More importantly though, how are you feeling? I hope things are getting better, I know it was a rough start having to change antibiotics a few times due to allergies/reactions etc.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 04:21:55 pm »
My doing really good now Jim thank you. Energy is back. Atin’ well. Back at the gym n martial arts. Generally in good form. Still got a bit of dry skin n little redness on face which they tell me could be a combo of immune recovery and/or antibiotic side effect.
Really getting to the take the pill n forget about it a lot of the time.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 05:53:53 pm »
That's a great update, really sounds like you're doing well and getting back on track. Glad to hear it.

martial arts , don't hear that often, very cool 8),

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 10:28:28 pm »
The issue is really that "undetectable" is a laboratory term that has somehow become the vernacular for viral suppression. 
It actually, sort of, drives me crazy, as it leads to confusion.

Undetectable, actually means nothing more than the assay being used to quantify the virus is unable to accurately count below that level.  Whether it is <20, <40, or even, as it was back in the 90's, <10,000.  That number is assay dependent and has nothing to do with the person.

My lab now reports (has for a few years, I believe),
a value over 20, or
"<20 HIV-1 RNA Not Detected" or
"<20 HIV-1 RNA Detected" 
This last one means that there was virus, but less than 20, so it can't be accurately quantified.

I won't change the "new meaning" of undetectable, but at least people here can read this and, hopefully, not get confused when they get results from a different lab.

Mike

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 11:04:51 pm »
As I was told under 50 is the US line clinically speaking.  Newer tests like the ones I've had can pick it up down to 20.  The theory with the U=U theory is if you stay under 50 your non infectious.  As for CD4 over 500? I havnt heard that one.  Once I was over 200 I could stop prophylactic antibiotics.   As I understand CD4 under 200 is considered the AIDS threshold.  I think there are several of us who are still well below 500 and will likely stay there.  I still struggle with the idea, but when referring to undetectable they mean in a clinical sense now not literal.  Eventually they will be able to detect total bodily viral count much less in an Ml sample.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 11:57:53 pm »
U=U theory is if you stay under 50 your non infectious

U=U is less than 200 not 50.

https://www.preventionaccess.org/consensus

Generally I think "virally suppressed" suits better than UD, but that' just me.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 12:01:00 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »
U=U is less than 200 not 50.

https://www.preventionaccess.org/consensus

Generally I think "virally suppressed" suits better than UD, but that' just me.

I know it may be technically more descriptive but I don't think that helps sell the U=U concept as well as 'Undetectable' though, and also I think there is a bit of a 'woo-hoo' moment that comes with being UD that is worth it's weight, psychologically speaking - regardless of confusion over lab tolerances :)

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 06:43:15 am »
I know it may be technically more descriptive but I don't think that helps sell the U=U concept as well as 'Undetectable' though, and also I think there is a bit of a 'woo-hoo' moment that comes with being UD that is worth it's weight, psychologically speaking - regardless of confusion over lab tolerances :)

Except that when someone then becomes "detectable" -- i.e. a VL of, say, 23, it gives the appearance that they are no longer "U=U", when in fact, the virus is suppressed and they have virtually no chance of passing it on.

UD has become the "word" and there is no chance of going back, but it is problematic because UD is not a clinical term, it is a laboratory result.  When can be "detectable" at a very low level and still be untranmittable.

Mike

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:01 am »
When can be "detectable" at a very low level and still be untransmittable.
unfortunately U=U not only creates stress and stigma for those who are unable to reach and consistently maintain "undetectable" but remain under 200 VL; but it also triggers a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress over the misunderstanding that a low-level result implies treatment failure.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:55:39 am »
unfortunately U=U not only creates stress and stigma for those who are unable to reach and consistently maintain "undetectable" but remain under 200 VL; but it also triggers a lot of unnecessary anxiety and stress over the misunderstanding that a low-level result implies treatment failure.

Indeed, as example plenty of threads on the forum of people panicking & stressing over micro blips etc etc when simply no panic is required. Similar threads on fears about transmission parked in the prevention section.

U=U is a catchy phrase but I would agree there is some unintentionally pressure on people by using this  inaccurate terminology that has various definitions.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:02:27 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 02:42:50 pm »
On a real life level such confusion and perhaps a little bit of disappointment sparked me writing this post. When I found out there was an even lesser UD level <20 and I belong to the only <40 club I was like “damn this is crap”.  Felt like I got a grade B on a school test instead of an A+ grade.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:17:14 pm »
On a real life level such confusion and perhaps a little bit of disappointment sparked me writing this post. When I found out there was an even lesser UD level <20 and I belong to the only <40 club I was like “damn this is crap”.  Felt like I got a grade B on a school test instead of an A+ grade.

If you result says <40, that doesn't mean you aren't also <20.  It simply means that the lab doing your tests has a lower limit of 40.  In fact -- it's possible that you have no detectable virus -- no matter which assay used.
That is my point in my earlier posts -- UD is simply a laboratory result, based on assay sensitivity  It has no clinical meaning whatsoever.

There are assays that could accurately count down to 1, but they are costly.  There is no benefit behind all the extra cost to test everyone with that sensitive an assay, as the clinical implications of a VL of 1 vs. 37 are nil.

Mike

Modified to add:
ACTUALLY, I don't know of any lab that reports "undetectable" -- they simply report "less than the sensitivity" -- WE (doctors, nurses, patients) have created that term "undetectable" -- which may or may not be true.  Of course, again, the clinical ramifications of a VL of 37 is nothing!!

M
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:20:10 pm by bocker3 »

Offline em

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:03 pm »
I do not know about the rest of you but when My ID doc told me I was undetectable. I did not feel any accomplishment  nor did I  jump up and down with excitement and simply said well that is great but I still have the virus and still as far as anyone knew at that time could still infect others. I thought great now I get to live a longer time with out sex and taking large numbers of medications that made me feel lousy and with the yoke of AIDS around my neck. Not knowing how long the medication might work it was just an extension of the hell I had already been living. At least that was my first thought I did not feel I had beat anything just got a wait till later extension on the terrible death I had been expecting.  O and this was in around  the mid nineties or so ? No one new if viral suppression could be maintained or how long it could stay undetectable . it was uncharted territory. Now around 25 years later still thinking how long can this last? apparently a long time . But everyone's lives are different you might have even better results than I have had .

remaining hopeful and thankful for how far we have come

Offline Expat1

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 05:59:12 pm »
When I found out there was an even lesser UD level <20 and I belong to the only <40 club I was like “damn this is crap”.  Felt like I got a grade B on a school test instead of an A+ grade.

My partner and I started treatment with CD4 counts over 1000.  Once his dropped to 695.  He was depressed.  He couldn't get his head around the fact that both counts were great and "normal" and one was not more normal that the other.  Subsequent test it was back around 1000. So still normal.

For 4.5 years my HIV VL was:      <20 undetectable,
3 months ago:                            <20 detectable

Same Same, but different.
 LOL

Offline Loa111

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 12:16:41 pm »
Quote from: Expat1 link=topic=71709.msg754781#msg754781 date=1549753152
Same Same, but different.
 LOL [/quote

LOL That's why I am so thankful I didn't find out I was poz when I was living in Thailand! Mentally I wouldn't have been able to handle the "same same but different" answers one gets, as least not for a Poz Dx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.