Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 370
Total: 372

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i just want to vent a bit...  (Read 5910 times)

Offline dingowarrior

i just want to vent a bit...
« on: January 10, 2007, 06:31:53 pm »
well, tomorrow i go to see my doctor for my tri-monthly check up. last time i was there in october i was undetectable and my cd4 was up to 200 from 120 when first diagnosed april/06.
i dont know why,but i'm kinda nervous/afraid. i havent gotten sick at all,and to tell you guys the truth,if it wasnt for my blood results,i'd never know that i have this virus living inside me.
i guess i'm afraid,cause i keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. i keep thinking that i have it pretty easy when it comes to this disease. i had no side effects from meds,and i've never been sick. dont get me wrong ,i'm eternally grateful for that.
i guess being still a newly wed,and having a HEALTHY,BEAUTIFUL baby boy,i keep thinking of my own mortality.
last night i had a rough nite.i woke up at 3am..as i laid in bed with my wife (she was sound asleep) i kept thinking of myself in the hospital,dying,not being able to
see my son grow up. i dont know why, but,thoughts of me laying in a coffin kept popping into my head. i'm sorry if i sound whacked. i really am not.(maybe it was the sustiva)but i had to litterally shake it off and snap myself out of these morbid thoughts.I keep getting assured thru this forum and my doctor that i will still have a normal life span.
i dont know,maybe its cause i'm going to the doctor tomorrow.like i said,i'm a bit anxiuos. i'm generally in good spririts about this whole thing,but i just have my moments. i'm sorry i'm venting,but ,part of me doesnt want to vent to my wife cause i want to be strong for her. i dont want her to see me scared. not that she hasnt,we both have cried alot when we first found out,but i dont want her to think i havent gotten any better,cause i have.but like last nite,, i have my moments.
again,i'm sorry for babbling.i just wanted to vent a bit.

Offline rick21007

Re: i just want to vent a bit...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 06:46:36 pm »
This is a great place to vent--and no apologies.  We are here for each other and we all will take our turns.

I had spent New Year's Eve alone and contemplating a lot of the same things you mentioned.  I've only been diagnosed less than a month ago.  I came to a couple of conclusions that night:  I cant learn to be fully alive until I am willing to face my own death.  I did not learn this lesson on my own.  My best friend has brain cancer and has just a couple of months left now.  We talked on Christmas and he told me this is his last Christmas.  He has taught me a helluva lot in the past year since he was first diagnosed (he is hiv neg. BTW) but it is as much about living as it has been about dying.  Second thing I decided is learning to live with hiv is teaching me about learning to live, period.

Don't deny your wife the opportunity to be strong for you and to be the pillar that you lean on from time to time.  It will bring you closer together.  That is what I have found out.

Best to you,   Rick

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 06:59:10 pm »
Hello,

I just want to say you have now and there is no reason, with meds and caring for yourself, that you won't have many, many tomorrows as well.  I have been poz since '04 and it is still taking me some time to realize I am not going anywhere... well there is doubt and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with my worries and Sustiva paranoia as well.  Use your mortality graciously and thankfully for what you have- a newly wed and a beautiful baby boy and YOUR life!  When you feel that coffin, think about love, for yourself and your family and float in that light.  You deserve that!

Best,
Drew 

Offline koi1

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 07:40:20 pm »
Hey Guy,

Mortality is an issue for all of us, and I kinda tend not to believe people when they say they don't think about HIV anymore, and that they are just living their lives. I guess it is because it is so recent for me. Anyway, I think your feelings are normal,  especially since you have a child. But what is reassuring is that yes, we have a shot of having a normal life. The team where I get treated say that 99% of the people they are treating are doing well, and that most of the severe problems in treatment have been in people who don't follow the dosage guidelines, drug/alcohol abuse, superinfection, coinfection with other pathogens, or other non AIDS related conditions. I don't know if they are blowin' smoke up my tush, but from the postings here, they seem to be right. Anyway, I hope this helps and that your labs are great.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Esquare

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:37:00 am »
Good luck with your labs man. My next set comes at the end of the month. Feel free to vent anytime. I think the same stuff. I was at an awards banquet recently and my mind was wondering away thinking what this group would be like without me there if I died and I had to snap myself out of it. I'm nearly exactly like you, on meds, feeling very healthy but the fear of the unknown is definitely there. Hang in there.

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 03:11:53 am »
A good friend of mine has been poz for 22 years and is still healthy. You will see your son not only grow up but see his children and his childrens children. The mind has a great deal of control. I had a inmate at a prison I worked at that was hiv poz for 18 years with NO MEDS and is just now on them. Any of us could die in a car wreck or anthing else. Being depressed is not a good thing because it can make you sick. Death is going to meet all of us someday no matter weither your hiv or not. Having faith in GOD is how I deal with things. I just put it in his hands and go on because I tell him it is to big for me to handle alone. Being gay and dealing with faith is also hard because most churches turn a blind eye. But you know what? This thing will not beat me I refuse to let it. I was tested every 6 months and found out 3 weeks ago. At least I caught it early. I am 39 now and plan on retirement. Hope this makes you feel a little better.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 10:13:51 am »
thanks guys for the kind words...
by the by..my lab/blood work 'looks good" cd4 up to 229 and undetectable VL. Doctor said i'm on the right track..

Offline PositivelyYours

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 07:57:10 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Indyguy said it so eloquently, "The mind has a great deal of control".  He also said, "Death is going to meet all of us someday no mater whether you're positive or not".  Just remember to take it one day at a time.  I was diagnosed on August 10, 2006. I have a friend who has been positive since 1988 and another who has been positive since 1995.  Just remember to take care of yourself and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be around to see your son grow up and get married and have a wonderful family. 

God Bless,

PositivelyYours
A good friend of mine has been poz for 22 years and is still healthy. You will see your son not only grow up but see his children and his childrens children. The mind has a great deal of control. I had a inmate at a prison I worked at that was hiv poz for 18 years with NO MEDS and is just now on them. Any of us could die in a car wreck or anthing else. Being depressed is not a good thing because it can make you sick. Death is going to meet all of us someday no matter weither your hiv or not. Having faith in GOD is how I deal with things. I just put it in his hands and go on because I tell him it is to big for me to handle alone. Being gay and dealing with faith is also hard because most churches turn a blind eye. But you know what? This thing will not beat me I refuse to let it. I was tested every 6 months and found out 3 weeks ago. At least I caught it early. I am 39 now and plan on retirement. Hope this makes you feel a little better.
PositivelyYours

Diagnosed: 08/10/2006
08/31/06 CD4:240/VL:39,000
09/12/06 CD4:359/VL:50,000
11/16/06 CD4:509/VL:76,000 (Flu Shot)
02/13/07 CD4:270/VL:69,000
02/17/07 Developed the Shingles
02/20/07 CD4:326/VL (Not Tested)
03/20/07 CD4:484/VL:54,000
06/19/07 CD4:488/VL:51,000
09/18/07 CD4:372/VL:27,000
10/09/07 Took Flu Shot
12/18/07 CD4:408/VL:85,000
03/18/08 CD4:394/VL:116,000 (Still No Meds)
05/22/08 CD4:412/VL:63,000
08/13/08 CD4:362/VL:67,000
09/23/08 Took Flu Shot
10/15/08 CD4:340/VL:54,000
11/14/08 Started Atripla @ 9:45 p.m.
1/30/09 CD4:641/VL:<48 Copies
5/07/09 CD4:667/VL: Undetectable
12/02/09 CD4:759/VL: Undetectable
03/05/10 CD4:537/VL: Undetectable
03/16/10 Rec'd TB Skin Test, Pneumonia & Hep B Vac
04/15/10 Hep B & Tetanus Vac
6/10 CD4: 748 VL: Undet.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.