Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:35:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773307
  • Total Topics: 66349
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 606
Total: 608

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Shortage of Estiva in my country; was off it for several weeks until today  (Read 2310 times)

Offline cadillac_jack

Hi Poz.com,

I apologize for any ignorance in my questions as I'm pretty new to this and it's hard to get good advice here in Cambodia where I work.

But thank you very much in advance for any guidance you can provide!

I have two questions:

1) I was diagnosed with HIV about a year ago and was put on Truvada and Stocrin for about six months, until Cambodia stopped importing Stocrin so I had to start taking Estiva 600 instead...

Then about 3 months ago, Cambodia stopped importing Truvada so I had to switch to TENO-EM...

Were either of these switches dangerous/meaningful in any way?  Regardless of what the combination was I never missed a day and always took both of the pills.

2) After being on Estiva/TENO-EM the past few months, the Ministry of Health screwed something up with a new importation law and caused a shortage of Estiva.  Not only do none of the pharmacies have it, even the Ministry of Health itself was out.  So the past several weeks I've only been taking Truvada...

Luckily, I am finally back on both pills as a friend brought me some from Bangkok.

How much danger was there being off of Estiva-600 for several weeks while only taking Truvada?

Thanks again very much for your help!

Offline Expat1

Re: Shortage of Estiva in my country; was off it for several weeks until today
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 11:59:56 am »
You were taking brand name medications.  They were replaced with generic versions.  They are the same molecules.  And the generics are equal to the branded medicines.

When the government ran out of the one pill, you should have added another pill.  The 2 drug pill of TenoEM or Truvada, is not sufficient to suppress HIV long term.  My advice to you is to take the medicine for about 2-3 months and then get a Viral Load test.  If undetectable, great.  If not you might need to start second line therapy which would probably be AZT/3TC and a boosted protease inhibitor. 

Is genotype testing available in Cambodia?

Can you get to Bangkok to the Thai Red Cross Clinic?

It is unclear if you rely on government funded meds or can purchase them on your own. 

If this ever happens again.  You need to have a 3 drug treatment. A boosted protease inhibitor can switch out temporarily with either the Truvada or the Efavirenz. 

Did the Doctors give you any sort of option?

Offline cadillac_jack

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »
Thank you so much!

And, yes, I pay for my own meds and can easily get to Bangkok any time.

That was my first question, "Can I buy it in Thailand?", and I would have gone 3 weeks ago to buy it, but the doctors here told me Thailand won't sell to foreigners any more and only to locals.  And I foolishly didn't research it any further (obviously, my doctors here were wrong).

I'll follow your advice to the T.  I really appreciate it!

Offline Expat1

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 12:20:14 pm »
Yes you can get meds in Thailand.  Any private hospital will sell them just go see a doctor in out patient department. Cost is about 2-3 times the cost at the HIV clinic Adams Love.

Thai Public Hospitals also have your meds, but can be a bit burdensome. Long waits.  May limit you to a 2 week supply.  ETC.

Or go to the Thai Red Cross Clinic,  bring your prescription from your Cambodian Doctor, and they will issue you the meds.  See the link Adams Love.

www.adamslove.org

Look at website. 

Offline Expat1

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 12:29:44 pm »
If you are near a land border, the Bangkok Hospital chain has the meds.  They also have a branch in Phnom Phenn.  So can probably get the meds there too.  And those would be purchased separately from the Cambodian National Supply.  There is a branch in Trat Province. 

One of my Thai Friends had to stop meds because he got sent to prison for a a drug offence for 42 days. (No hiv meds in Thai prison!)

When he got out, the NGO doctor here, just restarted the same prescription and waited 3 months to check for resistance.  He takes the same meds as you.  And after 3 months he was again undetectable. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.