Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:52:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 263
Total: 266

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: progressing towards AIDS courtesy of my labs and not being able to afford meds..  (Read 10337 times)

Offline pozhealthy

Ok, so how do you do it?  I have short and long term available via my job. Assuming I get this do I also get SSDI? or do they only let you use one? I realize this is rather vague. But if I apply I am not sure where to live and pay for things while I wait to find out if i meet the criteria for disability.
Suggestions and comments welcome.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Hey Pozhealthy,

Rather than worrying about what type of disability to file for, I thing I would be spending more time findhing a way to get the meds you need.

Getting Social Security disability is a lot more difficult than it sounds and could take months before it is approved - if it is approved. Often, the first time around, people are denied and must appeal.

Private disability may be easier to obtain, I don't know. I do know they keep a pretty close reign on those types of things and several people have posted they were undergoing periodic reviews quite regularly. In other words, if they think, in their infinite wisdom, you don't qualify any longer, they cut you off and you have to fight to get it reinstated.

The bottom line is it is still better to maintain or regain health rather than waiting for the worst to happen and plan for disability, which would be short-lived anyway if you don't get your medical needs taken care of.

Of course, this is just my 2 cents worth.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AndyArrow

Have you checked with your local ASO to see if there is any type of assistance available for obtaining your drugs either through a local clinic or your state ADAP? 

Also, some of the drug companies offer different types of assistance of their own.

Good luck,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Dachshund

Ok, so how do you do it?  I have short and long term available via my job. Assuming I get this do I also get SSDI? or do they only let you use one? I realize this is rather vague. But if I apply I am not sure where to live and pay for things while I wait to find out if i meet the criteria for disability.
Suggestions and comments welcome.

I think it's safe to say that you probably won't get any type of disabilty as long as you continue to work. I'm not sure if you're saying you already have disabilty insurance through work or that it's just available. If you have it, I would think reading through your policy would specify the terms. If you don't, certainly your work would provide the details on how their disabilty insurance coverage is administered, etc. The policy I had only covered me until I could get SSDI. It's all different, but in should be spelled out quite clearly for you in your policy.

I know this continues to frustrate you, but as Mark said this will all be moot if you aren't taking your meds.

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
I could be wrong, but even if you are approved for SSDI, you still must wait 2 years before eligible for any part of Medicare. At least it was that way when I was approved for SSDI back in 2001.

If you are in Texas, our state provides the medications prescribed by an ID doctor at no cost.
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
I could be wrong, but even if you are approved for SSDI, you still must wait 2 years before eligible for any part of Medicare. At least it was that way when I was approved for SSDI back in 2001.

If you are in Texas, our state provides the medications prescribed by an ID doctor at no cost.

Yes. My meds are paid for by Tarrant County/Preventative Medical Clinic,  and anything they don't cover are paid for by ADAP. I have also been told that there is a 2 year wait for Medicare, but that there are loopholes to bypass that wait.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

The waiting period of medicare is actually 30 months (so a little over two years) according to the letter I got when I was told I was approved for medicare but had to wait until June 2009. 

An important note is that they may consider you were disabled before you actually started receiving benefits for disability.  In which case you waiting period is from the date you were disabled and not necessarily from when your benefits started.

It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
The waiting period of medicare is actually 30 months (so a little over two years) according to the letter I got when I was told I was approved for medicare but had to wait until June 2009. 

An important note is that they may consider you were disabled before you actually started receiving benefits for disability.  In which case you waiting period is from the date you were disabled and not necessarily from when your benefits started.

That's a good point, Andy. At the onset of the blood clots, everyone kept saying, "you need to file, right now', even if you don't turn out to need it, they use the filing date for determinations.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline caregiver2008

There is a 24-month waiting period for Medicare Part A, B, and D unless you are on renal dialysis.  Obama wants to change the 24-month waiting period to zero waiting period.  Not sure he will succeed.

Just my 2 cents...

Thank God for TX ASO's!

Offline sharkdiver

There is a 24-month waiting period for Medicare Part A, B, and D unless you are on renal dialysis.  Obama wants to change the 24-month waiting period to zero waiting period.  Not sure he will succeed.

Just my 2 cents...

Thank God for TX ASO's!

No offense caregiver, since you are not poz or a LTS, please respect the request to not post in the Long Term Survivor forum.

Thank you,
Sharkie

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Shark,

Chill out already. Caregiver was trying to help - and not being condescending. Wish as much could be said for you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozhealthy

in shock!!!!!! the moderator actually kinda sorta scolded sharkie for pouncing on the posting of a non LTS......OMG
i am still reeling......LOL
 :D :o ??? :-* :) ;) :D

Offline sharkdiver

I apologize caregiver, seriously. Just been a little sensitive lately not that its okay to make excuses.

Offline caregiver2008

Thank you Sharkie for your PM.   ;)

Sorry, still kinda new here.  I read the post and thought I'd post a reply.

I'll stay out of LTS forum...

Everyone have a great day! ;D

Offline Dachshund

in shock!!!!!! the moderator actually kinda sorta scolded sharkie for pouncing on the posting of a non LTS......OMG
i am still reeling......LOL
 :D :o ??? :-* :) ;) :D

Back to the question you posted. Did you do your homework and find out if you have disabilty coverage at work? Seems like that is where you need to start in the process. Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor.

Offline pozhealthy

dachsund,
ty for getting this post back on track. I have not found out much from work. I can use a few sick days and then have to fill out FMLA papers or something.  It's hard to sort of walk the line of asking and not disclosing my situation.
Any suggestions out there on how to word my questions as to not arouse too much suspicion. Or maybe I should just frame the question as a "what if i got cancer or injured and could not work....." type of thing.

Offline AndyArrow

ph,

FMLA  will allow you take time off if your sick or for doctors appointments and the like but it is unpaid time off.

I don't know that I would phrase it exactly like that (what if I got cancer).  Your situation depends on what size company you work for, how long you've been there and exactly who you'll be asking, HR ... another co-worker??? 

I would probably try something along the lines of  "I've seen all those commercials with that duck for Aflac and was wondering if we have anything like that here."  This way you don't mention your health all but are simply inquiring about benefits.

good luck!
AA

Offline Dachshund

I'm getting a little frustrated here. It seems the answer to your question would be to read the policy. Unless you have the most liberal disabilty policy I have ever heard of you're going to have to provide verifiable proof of illness. Hinting "oh by the way I think I have cancer" ain't gonna cut it. Like it or not you're going to have to prove an AIDS diagnosis to receive disabilty. You say you're not taking your meds. Who gives a damn what they think at your work. You'll be at home trying to put your life back together. Eventually your destroyed health is going to take care of all of this for you.

Offline pozhealthy

did i say i had cancer??? no, re read my post carefully.  i have looked at the policy and its really vague that is why i am asking questions on here. trust me its just as frustrating for me when people don't read the posts and post a reply that does not help.
arrggh
never mind

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.