Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DO YOU BONES AND BODY HURT LIKE MINE  (Read 9853 times)

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
DO YOU BONES AND BODY HURT LIKE MINE
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:50:14 pm »
Just wondering if having full blown aids makes you feel like you have arthritis.
theres just days were I cant move or get up and I am wondering if it has to do with this virus.
I know I have a low count and still in recovery and hoping this will all go away someday.
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY VETERNS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROB

Offline skeebo1969

Re: DO YOU BONES AND BODY HURT LIKE MINE
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:43:57 pm »

Your numbers are pretty low.  I can remember before being diagnosed I was experiencing pains that I could not explain other than comparing it to being arthritic.   Once your numbers improve so will your health, but with that said it will take time.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:49:25 pm »
They did at first  ..but some of the meds made it worse......so I have now changed to Prezista /Norvir/Epzicom      now rarely get the achy feeling  like arthritis.....  talk to Dr and see if hidden down in the fine type there is a "side effect" that sounds like yours

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 05:37:26 pm »
YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, like Nick said, it too shall pass.  Isn't this just a grand disease to deal with   :(

You'll do fine Rob, but you will either learn patience with your body or else you will learn patience with your body.  :)

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline todd123

• "You don't ask, you don't know."
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 06:09:26 pm »
Yes, my bones and body do hurt like yours.  Looks like we've both started with very low numbers and
hopefully it's just going to take time.  I know that I'm really gonna have to learn some patience.

best,
Scott
Tested HIV+ July 28, 2008
CD4 16 VL over 400,000
Started Prezista/Norvir, Isentress and Intelence; Mepron
8/08   CD4 64    2%      VL 1500
9/08   CD4 135  6%      VL 371
11/08 CD4 104   9%     VL 156
12/08 CD4 161   9%     VL 400
01/09 CD4 109   7%     VL 351
02/09 CD4 218   8%     VL   98
03/09 CD4   80   5%     VL   98 at least that's the same
04/09 CD4 150   7%      VL 100
05/09 CD4 232   8%      VL   90

Offline pozmnguy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:36 am »
Hey BigRob,

I to deal with the same thing.  I always figured it was the meds, but then I know there will be struggles as I have put my body through hell so I guess now its puting me through a little!

Paybacks suck!

I do find that real hot showers help.  And this is coming from a person raised with Farm Showers.  What a change!

Best of luck!

Jim
3/08   Diagnosed
4/08  CD4  34           VL     537,000   Started Atripla
5/08  CD4 144    8%  VL        1,010
9/08  CD4 141    8%  VL            60

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:12:26 am »
Shit I'm just F'ing getting old!!!!!

Yes they hurt, but I guess when you still work a full time job & just put in 13 hours yesterday !!  DUH!

I know.

Take care

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:00:17 am »
Rob, heh. I groan every time I get up, and groan every time I sit down.  Just comes with the territory, imo.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeptik73

• switch (zero)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:33:09 pm »
I went through several months right before I started meds where my arms and legs always felt incapable of relaxing, and I would occasionally experience (unexplainable but not unpleasant) sensations of heat in a foot... I was convinced at the time that it was the beginnings of some sort of neuropathy... and I'm still not convinced that it wasn't.  But I started meds and the VL dropped down to undetectable quite fast, and those symptoms went away and haven't come back.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the virus really does impact people differently, and doctors don't understand everything.... and that if you can get your virus in check then things will probably get better and you will feel good again.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 04:01:30 pm »
Well its not just the virus... but, the life saving drugs work your bones also... isn't it fun... exercise is about the best fight against the ache... some days willbe better than others

Offline skeptik73

• switch (zero)
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 06:04:27 pm »
Yes, that's true... exercise was actually also big help to me too in getting past the my inability to relax (it wasn't mental/psychological, but very much physical.  Exercise would give me a few good hours.  I forgot about that.... its weird to look back on, my desperation then.  I cut caffeine off completely.  Drank Cammomile tea.  Went to the sauna really to go to the sauna.... to feel the heat.  Excercise seemed to help the best.  But my issue was not aches and pains.... just I couldn't relax parts of my body.

But I'm hardly exercising at all now, and I'm still fine -- its been a year and a half.  The meds must have a lot to do with it.  I guess I'm lucky that I tolerate my meds so well.  I know others don't.... like I said, our bodies all handle this virus (and the meds) so very differently.

And I guess we all have a tendency to over-generalize our own experience.... or maybe not... maybe I'm over-generalizing again!!

Offline peregrine

• I live in the fire & I extinguish it!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:32:54 pm »
I was recently diagnosed and my subsequent labs revealed a cd4 of 469 and a v/l of 12495.  I am not taking meds as yet.  I always have pain and stiffness when getting up from a sitting or reclining position.  This condition lasts for several minutes and I have to kind of walk it off.
I don't know what it is but I know 6 months ago I didn't have it, therefore, I assume it is related to  the spread of hiv in my body. 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »

DO YOU BONES AND BODY HURT LIKE MINE

Somedays worse than others. But even back in 2003, my bones didn't ache as much as they do now. It's tolerable and I only take anti-inflammatories, maybe two of three times a week. Mostly the knees, slight hip ache, neck ache, stiffness, and minor  arthritus in the fingers. And of course the neuropathy, and tinnitus. Not to mention the fatigue that can take over at times. To me, it comes in waves.

It get's to be a struggle to work full time. I have to get up a little earlier to really get moving. I am also close to 57 years old. ( not that 57 is old ) Hot soaking bathes really help !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

BobF

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:13:54 pm »
Yup, I have the bone aches too .... I was diagnosed with osteoperosis and have been on Alendronate (Fosamax) for several years.   I have a Dexa scan every 2 years to monitor it.  Recent thyroid disease has also contributed to weak bones.    I've had many, many fractures and in fact have multiple fractures in my feet now so am currently in walking casts.   I've been on Atripla since Sept. '07 after being diagnosed in May '05.

I'd sure make sure you follow-up with the Doc's given increasing bone issues seen in our population.   Good luck!

Bob

Offline Darren

• dig it!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »
yep, grin and bear it I am so with you on this.  My family/friends just know not to even try to talk to me until I can be approachable~ it is sad how somedays I treat those I love with anger.  It is hard but push through it. ;D I am bad at working with this computer, but its a learning thing too...just like the pain. You may want to check with your Dr. about it, mine gave me a different treatment, Androgel, which is supposed to keep it from getting worse but doesn't stop it or make it go away~
~peace~
darren 
~~namaste~~

Offline Rural_oz

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 04:23:38 pm »
If I sit on the floor I make what I call "Old man noises" when I stand up, and it takes a lot longer than it used to.  ;)
I have alos been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my neck joints and my doctors (GP and HIV Clinic) have recommended the natural products Glucosamine and Fish Oil. Since starting on those several months ago pain in my neck and arms has definitely decreased.

Offline furrbie34

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 03:18:07 am »
i have only been living with HIV for a year now since i was diagnosed.  my counts were so crazy that by all standards , i will always be considered to have AIDS.  but.....i am undetectable now in less than a year thanks to the meds.  the body aches and pains have subsided a bit but, i wonder if they will ever go away.  it just becomes a part of daily life.  i am just grateful that my partner MADE me go to the doctor before i died.  i have gained 45 pounds in the last 11 months and i guess i have a new outlook on life.  i was on the verge of death just last holiday season and was stricken with pneumonia and a severe case of thrush.  my body was ready for death.  it is a dark place i would rather not visit again until i am ready.  i know now that there is always hope. ;D 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 11:59:20 am »
I have avascular necrosis in both knees, I believe as a side-effect of HAART (isn't that supposed to be a side effect?).  There's no cartilage left in either knee, according to my orthopaedist.  I also fractured my left knee.  The doctor won't do knee replacements; he said he's too worried I'd get an infection he couldn't clear up.  I probably could find another orthopod who would do them.  But, when I talk to people who have had that done, I usually here "I'm in more pain now than I was before."  So, I'm not in a rush to get that done.  I think I'd rather get a Hoverround first. ;D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline GregoryD

• Link to my vacation videos and stuff!
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 10:41:35 am »
sometimes i feel like an old man, i creek and moan, pop and snap but I mostly have issues with feet pain.
Recent Lab data
02/08/07 - CD4 556 - VL Undetectable
07/03/07 - CD4 526 - VL Undetectable
10/03/07 - CD4 580 - VL Undetectable
01/02/08 - CD4 576 - VL Undetectable
02/11/08 - Aneurysm Surgery
04/02/08 - CD4 541 - VL Undetectable - changed to Atripla
11/12/08 - CD4 742 - VL Undetectable

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 10:50:42 am »
i have only been living with HIV for a year now since i was diagnosed.  my counts were so crazy that by all standards , i will always be considered to have AIDS.  but.....i am undetectable now in less than a year thanks to the meds.  the body aches and pains have subsided a bit but, i wonder if they will ever go away.  it just becomes a part of daily life.  i am just grateful that my partner MADE me go to the doctor before i died.  i have gained 45 pounds in the last 11 months and i guess i have a new outlook on life.  i was on the verge of death just last holiday season and was stricken with pneumonia and a severe case of thrush.  my body was ready for death.  it is a dark place i would rather not visit again until i am ready.  i know now that there is always hope. ;D 
you sound just like what I was going through last year at this time, I have gotten better but the pain is becoming more agressive. And taking vicodin sure isnt helping much even smoking a little weed doesnt help. My dr says I had a lot of nerve damage done and it probably well never heal. So now I know what it feels like to be old at the age of 38. But I just keep on living 

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:11 pm »
Yes they do.
My thighs ache all the time. I have osteoporosis due to low testosterone.
As a florist, I am on my feet all day long and I am in agony by 7 every night.

I don't know what to tell you except MY BONES ACHE.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:30 pm »
My knees ache and my shoulders crack. Could it be I lost too much fatty tissue that keeps the muscles
and joints cushioned. I do yoga and see the yoga princesses look at my skinny legs and arms.   :(

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 11:16:31 pm »
Have your doctor give you an MRI and check for arthritis.  and then get the recommended needs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Seadickrun

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 06:04:29 am »
I can no longer tell what is HIV and what is old age:)

Where I live, its dark, damp, and cold 8 months of the year.  Besides good nutrition, exercise, stretching, etc., my two favorite weapons against aches and pains are a sauna and a hot rosemary bath.  Rosemary is a great muscle relaxer.  I just got out of a rosemary tub after a workout and my body feels like I had great sex.

Rosemary bath - fill tub with the hottest water you can tolerate and add one of the following
  • add 10-20 drops of rosemary oil (I bought mine at the co-op grocery store) OR
  • steep one large bundle of fresh rosemary in a large pot of water, then add to bath (rosemary grows in all of my neighbor's yards)

- optional -
  • add Epsom salts to the bath
  • add a few drops of eucalyptus oil (really opens the nasal passages)

* If you have sensitive skin, do a test before jumping into a tub with essential oils.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.