Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 12:58:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 116
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Last visit I hope.. Very concerned..  (Read 12962 times)

Offline bballman

Last visit I hope.. Very concerned..
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:51 pm »
Hi there,

I have posted on a couple other forums but this one appears to be a very good one...

Try and make it short.

I am a male, with one time exposure, unprotected vaginal sex, with a girl I know. Next day had swollen nodes in the groin region (have had this before), not movable and hard. This has persisted for about 6 months now.  Have been extremely anxious because all information about nodes seems to lead to hiv on the net. 7 days after exposure had sore throat for about 7 days and a slight fever for about 3 days. Recently have been getting headaches.

Tested at 3, 4, and about 10 weeks after exposure all negative.

I am not able test anytime soon, really just trying to relieve my extreme anxiety, all I do is read information on the net, some serious OCD here I guess.  Is there any realistic chance of a 10 week negative turning positive down the line? I know 13 weeks is the golden rule and eventually I will test again, but my fears have just come up again lately and I can not focus on my studies etc.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Please help!!Stress
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:50:22 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. HIV is not easy to transmit and it's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male. With all of that in mind and it having been a single incident + your negative results thus far, my expectation is that you will continue to test negative.

However, low risk is not the same as no risk. So you need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with as many partners as you like and their HIV status is irrelevant as long as you consistently use condoms every time. No exceptions.

When you are able to test again I expect you will test negative.

As for those swollen nodes, they wouldn't have happened the next day because of HIV. Sort the issue out with your doctor.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bballman

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 04:32:28 am »
Are there many cases out there where someone tests positive after a 10 week negative test without having a supressed immune system. This is really getting to me, rationally I have to believe that 13 weeks is conservative so I am all clear, but based on what I read 13 weeeks is still in my head, even though a couple experts on other sites have said I am in the clear it still bothers me..

Thanks for the reply!!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 04:41:36 am »
Man,

As Andy has told you, the average time for antibody development is 22 days. By 6 weeks almost everyone who is going to test positive will have done so. At 10 weeks it's even better. For the sake of the clinical guidelines you do need to test again at 13 weeks, but I am fully confident that your results will not change.

Please be assured that we are the best HIV/AIDS website on the whole of the internet. Our advice is drawn from the latest peer reviewed scientific evidence and is overseen by leading HIV experts.

In my 2 1/2 years here I've never seen us be wrong in these matters.

Regards,

MtD

Offline bballman

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 05:01:03 am »
When you say you've never been wrong in these matters does that mean you have never seen a 10 week neg turn positive without a suppressed immune system that is??

Sorry to ask so many questions, just extremely nervous...

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 05:03:14 am »
bb,

I've been a member here since 2001 and I've NEVER seen a ten week negative turn positive. NEVER.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 05:04:18 am »
Mate, I've never seen a 10 week negative turn positive at week 13, fullstop. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but you're more likely to be wiped out by a dinosaur piloted meteor on your way to the shops than test poz at this stage.

Just get that test at 13 weeks and move on.

Be well,

MtD

Offline bballman

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:32:21 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies everyone. I am still stressed beyond belief, I cannot focus on anything else, I think about it constantly. I am going to try and get my confirmatory test asap but it is difficult for me. Anyways I was reading a post on here that an elisa can be positive for a number of reasons other than hiv, someone stated that the flu can cause that. Is this true? As I understood it false negatives are very rare unless you test too early?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 04:49:26 pm »
Man,

Yes ELISA tests occasionally return false positives which is why all positive ELISA tests have to be confirmed by the highly specific Western Blot assay. False negatives (ie a negative ELISA after the expiry of the window period of 13 weeks) are extremely rare and only affect people with other specific medical issues.

I can assure you that you won't return a false negative.

As we've told you your negative 10 week result is all but conclusive. Simply test again at 13 weeks and collect your almost certain negative result. It's not difficult. If you're having trouble dealing with stress you should speak to a counselor.

MtD

Offline bballman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 06:46:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank everybody for their replies somehow made it a little easier to deal with. I plan on getting another hiv test at my next doctor's appointment in a couple days... This will be past the 6 month mark. I contacted an hiv/aids clinic and the nurse stated that they ask people to come in and test 10-12 weeks after an exposure and that 10 weeks is a reasonable time to test, but then she stated that they also request a follow up at 6 months, so that kind of scared me again.

I am just trying to build up the courage as I seem to go up and down in terms of stress levels, but most of the times extremely stressed out. Most information suggests that my 10 week negative will remain negative, but some of that conflicting info with 12 weeks still freaks me out. I still suffer from some symptoms listed above (lymph nodes) and I believe that is the main cause of all my stress.

Here's to hoping that the info I've gotten claiming 6-8 weeks is 99% accurate, because this has been the most stressful and depressing several months of my life. Maybe I'll get this OCD checked out ;)...

Thanks again.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 07:13:01 pm »
This will be past the 6 month mark. I contacted an hiv/aids clinic and the nurse stated that they ask people to come in and test 10-12 weeks after an exposure and that 10 weeks is a reasonable time to test, but then she stated that they also request a follow up at 6 months, so that kind of scared me again.

The 6 month test is unnecessary.

MtD

Offline bballman

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 07:39:29 pm »
Yeah I realize that 6 months is not necessary so on one hand the fact that they state 10 -12 weeks after exposure made feel a little better. However because I only had a 10 week test I'm going again because most claim that 12 weeks is conclusive and I can't stop thinking that there is a possibility that I have been infected despite a 10 week test....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 10:56:33 pm »
The likelihood that a 10 week negative is going to be reversed at 12 or 13 weeks is more than unlikely.

But if that's what you need to put this issue at rest, then by all means re-test and collect another negative result. 
Andy Velez

Offline bballman

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 02:44:38 am »
You know, when this whole thing started months and months ago andI first really started reading about everything and some people's questions I thought jeez I'd be very happy and would be able to accept 6-8 weeks let alone 10 weeks. I think its just the conflicting info with some experts and different areas saying 6-8 weeks is plenty, and with the CDC who I'm sure are very conservative, saying 3 months and sometimes 6 months.  That plus the symptoms,  which have occurred before mind you, just seem to put doubt in my mind. Deep down I realize that 10 weeks is very good and that the chances are extremely slim but there is always that doubt.

Once again I thank everyone who has replied for their patience with my many questions and worries which I'm sure appear a little irrational at this point.  It will be nice to have this whole thing over and end this stress. I am still  freaked out about the upcoming test but it has to be done so I can move on..

Offline bballman

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 09:01:48 pm »
Well I believe I will be going in for a final test tomorrow. I tested negative 10 weeks after about 6 or 7 months ago. I am extremely nervous and terrified about going in for the test. I can't sleep and have no real appetite but it will be worth it once all of this is over, this has been the most agonizing time of my life.. With a 10 week negative I know deep down the chance is very good that I will remain negative especially given my exposure but a part of me is still very scared about the future results.

I apologize if I am getting annoying. I am trying, unsuccessfully, to stay away from reading the internet but I find myself constantly looking up information and trying to find how accurate 10 weeks is etc, etc......

Thanks everyone....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 09:33:13 pm »
You're not looking for information. You're looking for an answer the net cannot give you. Your test is going to give you the answer you want. And I expect that answer to be negative. Go in there, get tested and collect what I expect will be a happy negative result. And stay off of the net!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline bballman

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 02:00:00 am »
You are correct, I will do my best to stay away from the net although it is very difficult for me right now. I will go and test and end this. The conflicting info has just gotten to me, and its clear that while the internet can be a great tool it can be very dangerous as well..

My test results will probably take 1 to 2 weeks I'll try and keep my mind off things and here's to hoping my 10 week negative remains negative.

I appreciate the patience with me.. I tend to over analyze things and this is all very difficult for me as its very out of character for me... (.ie very few partners, pretty much all long term partners...)

Thanks again.

Offline bballman

Last visit I hope.. Very concerned..
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 09:49:56 am »
Ok, to sum up, I have been here before, and received some great answers so hopefully this will be my last visit to this particular forum. I'll try and be brief.

Ok, I am male in Canada, was with a girl I've known for a long time, tells me she was tested within the past 7 months or so, everything is fine. I received unprotected oral sex, however she had recently had some oral surgery and had forgotten to mention this to me. Anyways, the oral sex may have lasted about 30-40 seconds. During this time I noticed she had some blood the side of her mouth. I told her she was bleeding, and she stopped, I then looked at my penis and noticed there was blood on it as well. I don't think she is a high risk partner, and I thought I was being safe.

I know receiving oral is no risk, but with blood involved I'm wondering if that changes the situation. Its not like I was covered in blood, but there was enough there that it was definately noticeable....

thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Last visit I hope.. Very concerned..
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 10:07:43 am »
bb,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

No, your risk does not change in this situation. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you won't be the first.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 05:38:00 pm »
Grcsabrosa

I'm not sure why you have Quoted Andy in this thread..please read the quote below from the posting guide in this forum and do not post in someone elses thread again..I have deleted your post..thank you for your cooperation.

'Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bballman

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »
bb,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

No, your risk does not change in this situation. Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you won't be the first.

Ann

Wow even with the exposure to blood it doesn't make the risk any higher?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »
Not even if they have a small amount of blood in their mouth.

Offline bballman

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 07:26:48 pm »
Not even if they have a small amount of blood in their mouth.

To be fair it was a pretty good amount of blood. There was some on her lip, and there was some on my penis.

Am I just splitting hairs? Would it take a large amount of blood? Or would that not even make a differnece.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 07:31:48 pm »
No one would or could, give you a bj with a mouth full of blood.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 08:09:01 pm »
Am I just splitting hairs?

Not only are you splitting hairs, you're also pushing your luck:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

MtD

Offline bballman

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 08:20:02 pm »
Am I just splitting hairs?

Not only are you splitting hairs, you're also pushing your luck:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

MtD

I apologize, I wouldn't normally worry about this most recent situation, but the blood exposure worried me. Regardless, I am done on this forum at least I hope I am.

I want to once again thank those who answered my questions I do greatly appreciate the time you have taken.

Offline bballman

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 03:39:39 am »
Hi everyone,

I have not been here in a long time. I wanted to thank everyone again for their answers, they went a long way to alleviating my stress levels.

I've been dealing with everything fairly well, I still think about it all, but for most part had put it behind me.

Until recently, I had noticed a couple things, which concerned me, once again I look up information on the web and get paranoid all over again..

Anyways here's the question. When it comes to Kaposi's sarcoma, is this something that occurs when the immune system is already severely affected. In other words, it would be more than likely that you'd know you had something wrong by the time this showed up?

I ask because I've read and seen some things that suggest this could show up as just a single raised bump. I'm not sure if this is the case or not.

I had what I thought were several ingrown hairs that occurred at the base of my head/neck (right at the hairline on the back) this was quite awhile ago. Many of them lasted for several weeks some 4-6 weeks. However there is one that has remained, it seems like its been close to a year now. Its a small raised slightly red bump that has not gone away. Its not overly noticeable when you look at it, but it is slightly red, just slightly though. I'm thinking it may just be a scar from myself trying to pop it or from picking at it when it occurred.

There just isn't a lot of reliable info out there, and I'm assuming that by the time Kaposi's sarcoma shows up, its pretty obvious that there are health problems.

Thanks again for operating such a great sight and answering questions, it definitely helped me out a lot. I know this all must sound very crazy to many of you, for that I apologize, its clear to me that I have some issues OCD.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 10:02:02 am »
You have no HIV issues. Seek professional mental help for you OCD issues. You can't be helped on the Internet.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 10:29:58 am »
Adding on to Rod's comments, we're absolutely not going to get involved indulging you in what ifs about KS. Here we deal with real or potential risks, evaluating them and making suggestions.

As far as I can tell you're simply nursing your unwarranted fears along and we're not going to participate in that with you.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.