Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:54:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 687
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 691
Total: 691

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1 step forward, 2 steps back  (Read 11893 times)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
1 step forward, 2 steps back
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:25:49 pm »
After my cardiologist and my gastroenterologist got onto me for not exercising, I decided to go back to the Y.   I dug into my meager savings and forked out the $268 required to "reinstate" me.

On the first day back, I hit it hard....way TOO hard....I've injured the tendon in my right elbow, and spent all day Monday in the ER.  I'm right handed, and my arm's in a sling (that sounds vulgar).... It's hard to type, so I'll be brief....

the title of this thread says it all for me....

Alan  :'(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: 1 step forward, 2 steps back
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:02 pm »
Oh Honey that sucks! :'(

Just take a few days off and relax and let the tendon heal.

You will be back at the Y in no time. But next time, take it a bit easier.  You don't need to catch up on the exercise all at once.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 02:37:20 pm »
Where is that cute trainer who was supposed to supervise you?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:34:03 pm »
Alan how many times do I have to tell you that exercise is bad for your health? ;)

Take it easy kid.
Aunty D

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:42:28 pm »
Alan dear,

I hope you are not in pain ,but if you are, I hope they gave you good drugs.
now...were you trying to make up for the years without the gym in just one session?
Take it easy, let yourself heal before going back to the Y, and when you return, take it easy and don't hurt yourself again
how about spending time in the steam room instead  :P

get well  soon

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 08:52:01 am »
Oh Alan

This sounds like one of those darn injuries that is going to have to be handled with lots of patience and attention to not re injuring yourself.

Please be careful and do exactly as the doctors tell you.

You can still do some light aerobic or leg work, but let that arm heal.   ;)

Sorry you are going through this.

RAB

(who hates aerobics!   :P)

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:16:41 am »
alan.

don't let this keep you away from the gym.  Your intentions are good.  Just take it nice and easy and soon it will be forward motion all the way.

be careful dear.

robert

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 12:05:41 pm »
Alan  take advantage of the rest of the services offered at the Y...I am sure they have a "trainer" who will lay out a program for you with realistic stages as you improve.......It took me two years to get back to reasonable shape after a few weeks in the Hospital   take your time.....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline mjmel

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:27:40 am »
Oh My!  :o You must have hit those excercise machines with a vengence.
$268 bucks ............  and now, you wait till the slow healing tendon recovers.
I have a tendon or ligament under my right knee cap that has started burning lately. That sucker smarts something intense.
I can understand how you ended up at the hospital.
~sigh~
At first glance I read that you were in your briefs in a sling ......resulting in an injured tendon. :D

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:35:27 am by mjmel »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 06:05:59 pm »
Hello Alan,

I only, just now read this thread. Sorry to hear about the tendon, and wishing that all is healing fast for you.

I have noticed that over the past year or so, that exercising with weights , is something that I also have to be very careful with. With previous damage to my rototor cuff, and a hernia, back in 2002, I've got to play it on the safe side.  I try to do more cardio- vascular type exercises than with the weights.

Hope all is well--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 10:18:31 pm »
hi guys, thanks for the responses.

I have an appointment on Oct 23rd for an MRI of the rt. shoulder and arm, and an appointment with an orthopedic doctor.   Until then, I'm taking it easy, and using the pain pills when necessary (haven't had to very much, so that's good)

one-armed hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:57:47 pm »
I had my ortho. appointment today.   I have "shoulder impingement, with medial epicondylitis", and will have 8 weeks of physical therapy. This is the same as "Golfer's Elbow" (never played golf in my life!)

The doctor decided to use my MRI appointment to do my left knee, rather than the injured arm/shoulder, since he seems to know what is wrong there, and doesn't feel there is any tearing.  If it is not fully back to normal after P.T., then we'll do an MRI.

I've been having mucho trouble with my knees, probably just a side effect of being 50.....

Hugs,
Alan

edited for spelling  :-*
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:31:47 pm by AlanBama »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 06:17:53 am »
Alan, you may not have played any golf, but you sure have hit a few balls around.  ;) Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Rodney

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 10:26:16 am »
Hey Alan,

I know how you feel. I was told I had "tennis elbow" once. I have played tennis all of once in my life.

Maybe the physical therapist will be a cute young man!

Hang in there. We're facing our 50s together.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.