Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:44:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 288
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Asking about movies!  (Read 7759 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Asking about movies!
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:14:45 pm »
My boyfriend and I decided we'd like to waste this particular weekend by watching movies. We have different tastes in movies but we are usually pretty good at getting the other to like what we like, so it all works out. We have some mutual favorite movies and I was hoping some people here would be able to recommend a bunch for us that we might like so that we could rent them this weekend.

We're crazy about:

1. Army of Darkness. This was my fault. I love horror movies and especially campy horror/comedy movies. I actually went and saw Evil Dead the musical in NYC not too long ago. Boyfriend thinks my obsession is crazy but I got him to sit down and watch Army of Darkness with me and he adored it.
2. Wilde. We have an Oscar Wilde obsession. Enough said.
3. Adam & Steve. We're not usually into comedies *that* much but this one really got us. We might re-rent it this weekend just because we enjoyed it so much.
4. SLC Punk! I can't even describe this one unless you've seen it. Amazing. We like it because it's funny but dramatic and totally believable at the same time.
5. We also like anime. Hellsing and Wolf's Rain are among our favorites. We're teenagers. Leave us alone; we're allowed.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
Re: Asking about movies!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:45:24 pm »
Oh WOW!!!

This is a great thread to post. I love movies. All kinds of movies!

Here are two of my favorites...

But I'm a Cheerleader

This one is a comedy that puts the whole "Ex-gay" thing on it's knees where it belongs. Stars Natasha Lyon, Clea Duvall, Rupaul, Mink Stole, others...

Megan is an all-American girl. She's a cheerleader, she has a boyfriend, etc. But she doesn't like kissing her boyfriend very much. And she's pretty touchy with her cheerleader friends. And she only has pictures of girls up in her locker. Her parents and friends conclude that she *must* be gay and send her off to "sexual redirection" school, full of admittedly homosexual misfits, where she can learn how to be straight. Will Megan be turned around to successful heterosexuality, or will she succumb to her love for the beautiful Graham?

Citizen Ruth

I laughed my ass off on this one! Starring Laura Dern, Swoosie Kurtz, Kurtwood Smith, Burt Reynolds and many others in one of the best ensemble casts I've ever seen.

Ruth Stoops is a poor indigent drug-user (a huffer - inhaling glue and paint for a high) whose down and out existence is complicated once more by becoming pregnant (she has had and lost four children already). When a judge orders that she gets an abortion or face a felony charge, she is befriended by Gail Stoney, a pro-lifer whose husband is president of the local "Babysavers" group. Suddenly Ruth is thrust into the middle of the pro-choice/pro-life struggle, with each side wanting her to take their side as a "message" to others - and the situation escalates...

If you see either of them let me know what you think!

Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:58:00 pm »
But I'm a Cheerleader

This one is a comedy that puts the whole "Ex-gay" thing on it's knees where it belongs. Stars Natasha Lyon, Clea Duvall, Rupaul, Mink Stole, others...

Megan is an all-American girl. She's a cheerleader, she has a boyfriend, etc. But she doesn't like kissing her boyfriend very much. And she's pretty touchy with her cheerleader friends. And she only has pictures of girls up in her locker. Her parents and friends conclude that she *must* be gay and send her off to "sexual redirection" school, full of admittedly homosexual misfits, where she can learn how to be straight. Will Megan be turned around to successful heterosexuality, or will she succumb to her love for the beautiful Graham?

I've seen this recently at a sleepover thing I attended at this group I go to for queer kids. We stayed up all night and watched movies and this was... either the second or third one we watched. Oh my god, I adored it. It was very funny in a quirky kind of way. My boyfriend was fond of it, too.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 09:02:09 pm »
Have no fear!  The former Film Major has arrived!

OK!

I'm really excited!

If you haven't seen it... rent "Amelie."

Just do it.

It's subtitled, yes (which gives it points, in my book)... but it has the dual attributes of being a "feel good movie" (which generally makes me vomit), as well as being a beautiful piece of cinema.  So, it's brilliant and feel good.  Watch it!

If you're anime-obsessed, get something by Kurosawa... I own "Throne of Blood" which is Hamlet done in feudal Japan.  It's absolutely amazing... or "Rashomon."  He is an absolutely brilliant Japanese director.  See his stuff.

Since your plans are to "waste the weekend," and no weekend spent watching films is a weekend wasted, check out some different directors.  And you can say you watched them and impress everyone you know.

"Dr. Strangelove" is hilarious, and a very typical Kubrick fare.  Which means it's awesome.

Or, if you want to compound the irony, get "Le Week-end" by Jean-Luc Godard... it's the New Wave at it's finest... follow an upper-class French couple around through randomly absurd adventures.  It's funny.

I'm not trying to give you anything heavy.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 09:05:09 pm »
L'amour dangeroux - was a very sexy french movie with the hottest man on earth Nicolas Cazale

Central Station - Brazilian movie, EXCELLENT, best movie I've seen.

Trick - Gay cute movie based on a New York City couple trying to find a place to hook-up

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Longislander

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:07 pm »
Trick - Gay cute movie based on a New York City couple trying to find a place to hook-up

LOL-cute movie, but the song gets stuck-in-your-head!!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:09:51 pm »
I have some more!

"Secretary." James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal get into a BDSM relationship, and it rules at life.

"House of Yes."  Parker Posey.  Do you need another reason?

"Party Girl."  See above reason.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."  It came out a couple years ago, and my boyfriend at the time and I held hands through the whole thing... it's "feel good" without being saccharine, as well as a very-well written piece of cinema.   

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:12:33 pm »
Amores Perros - with Gael Garcia Bernal

Head-on - EXCELLENT Turkish movie, one of the best foreign film movies Ev-a

Maria Full of Grace - based on cocaine trade from Colombia to USA

Life is Beautiful - Italian movie, love it

Burnt Money - Uruguayan gay themed movie

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 09:15:16 pm »
Secretary." James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal get into a BDSM relationship, and it rules at life.

LOVED it, you need to watch that one Mouse

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:35 pm »
Secretary." James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal get into a BDSM relationship, and it rules at life.

LOVED it, you need to watch that one Mouse

**smack**

"I'm your secretary!"

**smack**

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 09:34:14 pm »
'Wolves of Kromer'   and 'No Such Thing'    good luck finding either one, 'wolves' is about gay werewolves in england played by two super hot models by the way...  'No such' is hard to describe about a modernday Monster trying to make it in the modern world... truly unique..

if all else fails just get 'Slither' or do you own that one ??  " Wheres The Mr Pibb !!!!"  classic.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:44:27 am »
oh fun thread...

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra... arguably the funniest parody of 50's sci fi movies ever... made in 2003  screamingly funny.

Sordid Lives.  Tammy, in the early years.

Requiem for a Dream.  It will rip your heart out and you won't be able to move for a day.

Saved.  But I'm filled with Christ's love.

I Heard the Mermaids Singing.  I don't usually go for Lesbian love stories.  Oh my god, this one is good.

My all time favorite movie though... still   Fight Club.  No one captures perfect sedition like Chuck Palahniuk.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:22:43 am »
curl up in front of this, youll never leave the house.....

Chiller Network Will Bring Horror Home
NBC Universal announces a new cable network devoted to horror.
by IGN Staff
January 12, 2007 - Running for nearly two weeks straight, the TCA (Television Critics Association) winter press tour is a major endeavor, where nearly all the biggest channels -- from the broadcast networks to popular cable stations -- have presentations and panels discussing their upcoming programming, including new and returning series.

NBC Universal began the day with the announcement of a brand new cable network. Called Chiller, the network will focus on horror and thrillers, and feature classic movies and TV series. At launch, the programming slate will include the television series Friday the 13th, Twin Peaks, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Tales from the Crypt. Feature films in rotation will include The Shining, Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho and The Birds, Sphere, The Stephen King mini-series The Langoliers, Blade Runner, Believe, The Crew and The Unholy.

Chiller will launch March 1st, 2007.

"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:46:42 am »
For the true definition of dysfunction and a great road trip movie you can't beat
Little Miss Sunshine.  Of course the best on all road trip movies is National Lampoon's Vacation.  I start laughing just in anticipation of what is about to happen.

For young gay love there is Beautiful Thing, a great movie set in England about 2 teenage boys falling in love.

I'm jealous Mouse, a weekend of movies with your boyfriend, aren't you the lucky one!

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 01:48:48 am »
*taps Mouse on the shoulder*....Ahem, you don't have to be young to be into anime, young man. Who also likes Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo, Trinity Blood, Yuyu Hakusho, Full Metal Alchemist.....must I go on?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 06:01:52 pm »
I recommend Wonderland ( two gay boys run away after witnessing a murder and end up involved with dolphins at a seaside resort)

and Salome's Last Dance ( documenting what happened the night Oscar Wilde was arrested and features a performance of the play)

Offline Benc7

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 08:47:33 pm »
 One of the best movies I've ever seen was "Shortbus". It got a lot of negative hype because the sex in it is real and not feigned but it's really one of the most tender, loving, funny, romantic movies I've seen in a long time.  It's out on DVD now, so you shouldn't have any problem getting it.

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 11:38:04 pm »

My very small 2 cents go to Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai:

In the Mood for Love
Chungking Express
Happy Together

Happy Together is about a gay couple...they're all about love in some way and so beautiful.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 01:15:22 am »
And bringing up absolutely must-see Uberclassics:

Battleship Potemkin
: Directed by one of the pioneers of cinema Sergei Eisenstein, filmed in the heady days of the 1920s Soviet Union when art and propaganda were considered synonymous. Oh, yeah, and all those sexy Russian sailors...

Pandora's Box: Filmed in Berlin in the twilight years of the Weimar Republic, directed by GW Pabst (responsible for pulling German cinema from the malaise of Expressionism into the light of New Objectivism). It stars the exquisite Louise Brooks as the personification of sexuality who trounces blithely through the lives of several men (and the world's first cinematic lesbian) wreaking havoc and delicious mayhem before she meets Jack The Ripper.

;D
Brent
(Who enjoys a good movie)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Bizzaretwist

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 12:55:52 am »
Benc7 you stole my idea!  :P  Jas I also suggest 'Short Bus', it was def an odd but interesting film. Yea it's got lots of sex, but there is so much depth to the story and characters.. And yeah this is my new account.   ;D 

Previously known as: PozinMass
Diagnosed: 8/2003
CD4 = 500-800
CD4% = 32-38  VL=<48
Not on meds yet..

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 11:28:29 am »
My very small 2 cents go to Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai:

In the Mood for Love
Chungking Express

are you trying to put them to sleep?!?  :D snoozefest!

Wanna see a good movie with TS/TG subject matter? Then rent "Different For Girls" (male-to-female transgender) ... Superb Brit-rock soundtrack makes the story even better

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:47 pm »

"Wanna see a good movie with TS/TG subject matter?"

Then see Dog Day Afternoon with Al Pacino.  A classic.

Also, another thriller with gay undertones is Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier.   It's about a former Nazi SS dentist from Auschwitz,  now residing in Paraguay, trying to smuggle a large quantity of diamonds out of the U.S. This involves an ultra-secret intelligence agency called "The Division".   It's a great story but when it's revealed the 2 agents involved are lovers, it really put it over the top for me.  In fact, the intrigue behind the whole plot revolves around this relationship. Had they not been lovers, the story would have been entirely different.

robert

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 01:32:09 pm »
Jaser,

For a good "old" few, but some you shouldn't miss........
Fahrenheit 451

Soylent Green

Both will take you away into someplace not terribly pretty, but the mind is a freaky place anyway.

Lastly, Countess From Hong Kong shows Sophia Loren in all her glory as a woman with Presence.

Hope you enjoy them.

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline randym431

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 06:17:16 pm »
We seen CAPOTE when it was out. But you must rent INFAMOUS. Much much better than Capote, but the same theme. And you'd swear Toby Jones "is" Capote. How CAPOTE got so much attention, and IMFAMOUS did not, is a true hollywood mystery.
And Infamous is star studded with Gwyneth Paltrow, Sigourney Weaver, Hope Davis, Sandra Bullock, Isabella Rossellini, Peter Bogdanovich, and Jeff Daniels played a great sheriff role.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0420609/fullcredits#cast
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:20:12 pm by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 08:36:38 am »
Saw "Girl Interrupted" last night and for some reason it reminded me of these forums! LOL!  :D

Anyhue, there are two deep films from yesteryear:

1. "Searching for Mister Goodbar" with Diane Keaton
2. "Ordinary People" with Mary Tyler Moore & Donald Sutherland

I think you'll love them

Oh, and I'll add one that's decidedly 21st Century:

1. "You Got Served"  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:39:15 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 08:44:02 am »
We seen CAPOTE when it was out. But you must rent INFAMOUS. Much much better than Capote, but the same theme. And you'd swear Toby Jones "is" Capote. How CAPOTE got so much attention, and IMFAMOUS did not, is a true hollywood mystery.
And Infamous is star studded with Gwyneth Paltrow, Sigourney Weaver, Hope Davis, Sandra Bullock, Isabella Rossellini, Peter Bogdanovich, and Jeff Daniels played a great sheriff role.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0420609/fullcredits#cast

Ditto...INFAMOUS gets a big two thumbs up. Toby Jones is remarkable. I even thought Sandra Bullock, a actress I don't really like, gave a fine understated performance.

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007, 09:14:28 am »
American History X

Edit: It's "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" not "Searching"   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looking_for_Mr._Goodbar
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 09:57:38 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2007, 10:08:31 am »
I watched a good documentary recently "Capturing the Friedmans". It's one of those movies you keep thinking about after it's over.

If you like animation and gay humor "Queer Duck" is pretty funny.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.