Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:34:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On Atripla, False Positive Drug Test, Employment?  (Read 7228 times)

Offline newbieguy

On Atripla, False Positive Drug Test, Employment?
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »
This topic has been touched on before, but I am (hopefully) about to start a new job and so it is relevant. I am on Atripla and have been since 2010. It's no secret that sometimes on drug tests Atripla can cause a false positive. I brought this up with my doctor, and she wrote me a note stating that "I am on a medication for a medical condition which may render a false positive for THC". She kept it vague of course. I asked her for this note, and she was very willing to write it for me. My question is, how should I handle this when I take a drug test? Should I just take the test and hope it comes back negative for THC, and only if it came back positive, THEN state that I am on a medication? Or should I just take the drug test, and show the tester up front my note? If my future employer sends me off somewhere for the drug test, there is supposed to be confidentiality right? Meaning they would not tell my employer about my "medical condition" causing the false positive if it occured? But what if they don't send me off for the test, and do it in-house? Should I still be up front with them and show them my doctor's note, without saying what medical condition I have? The latter is my inclination, since I have the note, to be upfront about it.....

I just really need this job, and don't want me being on Atripla to spoil my chances..Lastly, this job would be in a controlled care semi-medical facility for the handicapped, so would that hurt my chances? I just wouldn't want whoever did the drug test to go and tell my potential employer that "this guy has some unknown medical condition" and it to hurt my chances.....Just would love to get some of your all's thoughts on this...Thanks for any input/advice, xo.  8)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: On Atripla, False Positive Drug Test, Employment?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:19 pm »
Your gut instincts are right. (always follow your gut instincts!) Be upfront about it. They are legally bound to not ask you about details. (Patient confidentiality - and if they do ask, don't answer. You don't have to. Look into HIPAA laws.)

HIPAA laws should also protect you against the scenario you're imagining - "whoever did the drug test to go and tell my potential employer that "this guy has some unknown medical condition" and it to hurt my chances" They're not allowed to say anything of the sort.

Hiv should in no way affect the job you want to do. After all, you're not planning on having unprotected intercourse with your clients, are you.

There are more specific tests that can be administered when they know you might throw a false THC positive. So yes, give them your doctor's letter.

Good luck with the job, and keep us posted!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline darryaz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:06 pm »
Ask the lab about the drug-testing procedure.  I was drug tested a couple of years ago and didn't have a problem (I'm on Atripla too so I asked).

The lab where I tested informed me that if I tested positive for any substance I would be given the opportunity to present a doctor's verification that I was taking a drug known to produce a false positive result for that substance.  My doctor would present this verification TO THE LAB, not to the employer.  At that point the lab would report a NEGATIVE result to the prospective employer.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:40:30 pm »
The process would be to give the note in advance - they then use a different testing method on the blood sample.

Giving it after a false positive is rendered makes it appear that you have something to hide (i.e. THC use)....

I went through the exact same thing - except my doc was wise and told me to present it upfront to the lab - they don't reveal anything to the employer - as the only thing the employer wants to know is did your test come back clear or not.

Simple as that. Presenting it after the fact, when a test has come back positive for THC, is going to lead to you having to disclose to both the lab (after the fact) and they are going to ask why you didn't present it prior to the test and you would have to disclose the reason for the false positive to your potential employer (i.e. medication you are on) and they are also going to wonder why you didn't let the lab know that upfront.

Best of luck on the new job!  Congrats!
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:27:13 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice everyone, you all are so helpful! I agree I will be upfront about it and present my doctor's note from the get-go, so they know I am being honest and open about it....So you guys think they will probably send me off to a lab for the drug test and not do it in-house? What if they do do it in-house? Do the confidentiality things still apply? Since the place I would be working at is a semi-medical facility, it makes me wonder if they will do it on-site and not send me to a lab, but I could be wrong....Thanks again everyone for the input, really appreciate it and I am hoping I get the job!  8)

Offline 3amr

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »
Best of luck my friend on this job. I have a similar problem here that I wish you guys help me get over it.  I am 25, Just discovered being infected 6 months ago. The fact is that after this discovery I was deprived of many job opportunities especially in the gulf because of HIV. Now, I have got a scholarship for one year in the states, but they require me to do a medical check-up with a list including HIV test. I am really disappointed and don know how to deal with this. I had many crazy ideas going in mind (bribing the hospital/ taking some unknown medicine to hide my infection....etc. it seems that I can't do anything without this test which really makes my life miserable. I also would like to tell you that no one of my family or friends know about this as it is really sensitive here and they may end any bonds we have. I hope you share you thoughts with me as I really need someone to talk with.

Offline darryaz

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:52:16 am »
Yes, HIPAA absolutely applies to employers as well as health care professionals.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.