Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:26:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 398
Total: 398

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Strange things........  (Read 12442 times)

Offline Sdgirl

Strange things........
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:19:15 pm »
Since being diagnosed, I have tried my best not to get too paranoid about things that happen to me physically.  Colds, flu's, cuts, etc.

Lately, I have been noticing strange things that seem a little "out of the norm"

- Nails are starting to peel.  I have ALWAYS had really strong nails and my diet has not changed.
- Acne.  What's up with that?  I've always had very clear skin, again no diet change, but I look like a 13 year old prepubescent teenager!
- Dandruff.  Now this one REALLY throws me over the top!  I've never had dandruff!
- Extremely dry skin.  All I drink is water and my damn lotion costs $15 a bottle!  HUH?
- Extreme fatigue.  My numbers are great, no meds, but I can run training camps on napping.  I can take a 6 hour nap, get up, eat and go right
  back to bed and sleep peacefully through the nigh.

Just curious if any you women are experiencing any of the above.

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
Re: Strange things........
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:21:49 pm »
Hello Lisa, I have the extremly dry skin part and extremly sensitive skin, some acne but not too bad. Might be additional stress, just from knowing we are sick or could be the meds.  At one point, I was always exausted but that has improved. I do take prenatal vitamens, that seems too help some with the tirdness. Hope that helps. Cristy

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:39:20 am »
I think I might have you on sleeping. I usually sleep up to 10 hours when I do go to sleep at night and even after that I sometimes require a nap. I stay with dry skin but I think that is because I really don't drink enough water and am diabetic.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 02:58:21 pm »
Hi Lisa
I've been thinking along those lines too but not really saying much to anyone.

The dandruff thing is a nightmare; its been getting progressively worse the last few years (been + 7 years). The dryness and itchiness has spread to my hairline and parts of my face and my scalp is so bad I'm at the point where my hands seem to be constantly in my hair, scratching/picking away (sorry but you asked!) I took advice off folk here and have been using a SLS-free shampoo for a few weeks and, although it helped to soothe it at the start, I'm not sure its making any difference any more! I hate this cos all the flakiness makes me feel really scruffy, especially with having a canvas of black hair! :(

Fatigue seems to have caught up with me lately too. Though I'm not sure if it's linked to me not being active enough. And more recently I'm experiencing broken sleep. But again, I'm not sure that it isn't just the season changing (warm uncomfy nights and allergy to olive blossom)...And yesterday I gave in and started taking anti-histamines, so now I'm feeling groggy in the daytime too...I almost fell asleep in work today!

I've asked about this before in Living With. It bugs me when 'things' start happening that I don't know what is HIV related, what is being caused by other stuff and what 'just is'. People just said that is all part of living with HIV, not always knowing what is and isn't caused by what. ---sigh---

My numbers are also ok and no meds. And generally I'm in good spirits. So, dunno... ???

Melia
(who is even scratching/picking as she types...Just Cant Stop...damnit!)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:00:22 pm by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:57:26 pm »
hey lisa
nails have always been like that, acne i take meds for & have done for the last god knows how many years, but as for dandruff/scalp, dry skin, thirst and fatigue - i'm right there with you.

i have found co-enzyme Q10 a bit of a help for the fatigue, and am also taking multi minerals & vits & selenium just in case. i need ideally 12 hours a night but normally get about 10. weekends i sleep 14. and this is with 40mg citalopram! i admit i should probably do some exercise but am very lazy once i get home from work.

for the itchy/flaky scalp i find using shampoo/conditioner every 2nd day (the other i just wash with water) seems to help slightly, but less so in hot weather. also not having the water too hot helps. bizarrely my scalp seems to be worse when my roots are my natural colour, so dying my hair helps!?!

for the dry skin patches i have been applying extra moisturiser (i use lancome hydrazen neurocalm which is £35 but is v good) but i also top up on dry areas with hydrocortizone cream in daytime and petroleum jelly at night. i also drink gallons of water.

for the acne, i never had any until i was in my mid 20s and so now take an antibiotic every day. it is called lymecycline 408mg and seems to beat most of them.

i really dont know what is related to the hiv, what to stress, and what to aging, but ive gotta say that a lot of us seem to have these problems so i think it is the bug's fault. im not on meds for this yet so cant blame them for any of it.

if you find the answer to any of it be sure to let us know!
x
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:55:09 pm »
Could it be possible you are lacking Vitamin E? Stress can also do wonders to your body.  The fact that you are not on meds could just mean your body is trying to fight the virus right now, and it's working overtime.

Check into supplements that may help your hair, skin and nails.

I hope it gets better.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline queenie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 04:56:39 am »
the meds mess with your hair and body, need plenty of water
the fatique can be from the pills or stress, or depression
i talk calsium pills they really help ???
'

Offline catwoman

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 01:57:30 pm »
I had the acne, extreme dry skin, and extreme fatigue before I knew about my HIV and was put on treatment.  I was diagnosed December '05 and I started treatment January '06.  I had been battling the acne and fatigue for almost 2 years before diagnosis and I had no idea I was positive.  I think it could be the progression of the disease.  I've been on treatment (Kaletra/Truvada) for almost a year and a half and those symptoms are gone.  I feel a ton better.  Oh, and before I knew, I took all kinds of vitamins and supplements, but I think this disease has a mind of it's own.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 04:37:31 pm »
It sounds like something that happens with age or medications.  A friend of mine who is on hormones (birth control) has developed acne from that.  I have dry skin and everytime I shower, I put lotion on.  That helps with the itchiness.  You didn't mention how old you are or what medications (not HIV) you are on.  I don't have dandruff, but I dye my hair monthly and someone above mentioned that their hair does better when it's dyed, so maybe that's why I don't get it.  About the fatigue, if your numbers are good, it's probably not HIV related.  It could be depression, diet, stress etc....  Hope this helps.  Before you go jumping on any supplements, vitamins, herbs or anything, I would see my doctor and talk with him/her about it.  That's just me sayin'...
    Good luck!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:12:13 pm »
P.S.  I also use a facial moisturizer.  And drink a lot of water.  That helps with dry skin and itchiness.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »
Betty,

I'm 43, and I have been an insulin dependent diabetic for 29 years, not one major health issue in all those years.  Insulin and Advil are my drugs of choice........ ;D
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 11:58:31 am »
I am an Insulin-dependent diabetic as well.  I've had ulcers on my legs and big sways in blood sugar.  I check it like twice a day.  I suppose I should do it more often.  But, anyway, the things I suggested are what help me.  Like I said though, I don't really know about the dandruff thing.  I wonder if there's something a derm could prescribe for it?

Offline tsw923

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:58 pm »
Lisa,

The fatigue thing is the biggest thing for me.  I have found that I get tired much more easily and it takes longer for me to bounce back.  Now since I had mono at the age of 35 and my doctor told me I would likely have bouts of fatigue so I just thought it was that.  When I was diagnosed in 2006 that's when the fatigue thing could be 'understood'.  Now I take a multi=vitamin and B-12.  I also try to get some extra sleep on the weekends, when I can...  :-\  Once I get run down, it takes about 2 weeks for me to bounce back :-(

:contemplating an early night:
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.