Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:43:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 580
Total: 580

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oh S#$% it's shingles!  (Read 4374 times)

Offline kev

Oh S#$% it's shingles!
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:28:43 pm »
and it isn't the ones on the roof. Just started treatment with Valacyclovir HCL 1 gram :-[

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Oh S#$% it's shingles!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:09:25 pm »
Really sorry to hear about it but with the meds it should shorten the time and severity of the outbreak.

I will not lie, shingles sucks.

Jim

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:56:12 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kev

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:19:37 pm »
Thanks Jim, looks worse than in actually feels.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:33:10 pm »
aha, yeah come back to me on that one in 5 days.

In the meantime "calamine lotion" will help with the itching when it gets really bad.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:56:36 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:10:48 pm »
Is the common of HIV regardless of age, cd4, etc?

Offline harleymc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:08:31 am »
It happens when you're run down. HIV status seems to be pretty irrelevant.

I had it circa 1988, and assumed I'd have it recurring regularly but nearly 30 years later nothing.  I got tingly and sore in the former shingles zone in cold weather over about the next 3 winters years but that faded with time.

Offline 2tcells

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:09:27 pm »
ouch. I had them a little while ago, maybe a year. rash for a week or 2 and hurt for a month then went away, then pain came back a couple months later for a day or 2 and havnt had any more signs of it since. watch out for people your in very close contact with who havnt had chicken poxs they can get chicken poxs from the fluid in the blisters (unless they had chicken poxs vaccine)
7-4-13 diagnosed   cd4- 2      vl-220,600
8-3-13                     cd4- 4      vl- 448
9-3-13                     cd4- 40    vl- ud
11-3-13                   cd4- 54    vl-ud
1-9-14                     cd4- 62    vl- 43
4-3-14                     cd4- 110  vl-ud
8-5-14                     cd4- 95    vl-ud
9-23-14                   cd4- 97    vl-ud
1-22-15                   cd4- 156  vl-ud
4-14-15                   cd4- 122  vl-ud
6-12-15                   cd4- 148  vl-?
8-15-15 start stribild
9-3-15                     cd4- 152 vl-ud
11-25-15                  cd4- 211 vl-20
2-17-16                   cd-4 194 vl-ud
4-1-16 start genvoya
5-10-16                   cd-4 220 vl-ud
9-19-16                   cd-4 182 vl-ud
12-2016                  cd-4  267!vl-ud
2018 cd4 187 switching meds

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:58:20 pm »
Ok. Cool. I had chicken pox when I was 2. I'm hoping that's it.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:47 am »
Well since you had chicken pox you can get shingles.
Not much you can do about it as far as I am aware, its simple as you had chicken pox you have the virus, shingles is just reactivation of the virus,

http://www.shingles.ie/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kev

Re: Oh S#$% it's shingles! Update
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 07:22:13 pm »
 Finished the valacyclovir and Looks like they are fading now so hopefully they have run their course. Fortunately  I did not and am not  experiencing  much pain or itchiness, which I am relieved for.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 03:23:00 pm »
Glad to hear you are not having too much pain. For me the worst was on my lower back, and it hurt for a good while afterwards. I was lucky in a way a mate of mine had it as well a while back and for him it included the inside of his right ear ..

Anyhow take it easy.

Jim   
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline kev

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 12:48:15 am »
Thanks Jim

Offline abrokenman

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 03:30:36 pm »
SHIT --- Shingles.

Had them 10 Years ago (Young age) was told because I was overstressed/worked after a Month & 1/2 of treatment/suffering they subsided.

2016 Diagnosed with HIV --- Guess what? Shingles came back (Again) WTF. And Yes, it is possible to get a second & third time. Go Figure.

Hope you are better now and that it never comes back.
You put One foot in front of the other

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »
2016 Diagnosed with HIV --- Guess what? Shingles came back (Again) WTF. And Yes, it is possible to get a second & third time. Go Figure.
while HIV may aggravate, or even instigate an outbreak of shingles (mainly when cd4s are low), shingles can happen at anytime to anyone who has had chickenpox. I know several people who have had a shingles outbreaks in their teens, and I know several people younger than me (55) who are HIV- who have had more outbreaks than I have (3 times).

unlike what many people believe, shingles is not an old person's issue but a problem that can happen to anyone at anytime or multiple times.

Almost 1 out of every 3 people in the United States will develop shingles, also known as zoster or herpes zoster, in their lifetime. There are an estimated 1 million cases of shingles each year in this country. Anyone who has recovered from chickenpox may develop shingles; even children can get shingles.....About half of all cases occur in men and women 60 years old or older.
https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/overview.html
(and the other half of all cases are in people younger than 60 ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:53 pm »

The first case of shingles I got, was in 1989. I was around 37 years old then, This was also 4 years after I was infected with HIV, in 1985. This was also the worst case of shingles that I ever had, and the most painful.  I was not on treatment at that time.

The next case of shingles was toward the end of 2003. These were not painful, and also situated around the trunk and back area of the body. I had also just started on medication, a couple of weeks before that happened.

Here it is 2017, and all has been well since the last time of shingles in 2003.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline kev

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 06:34:36 pm »
Would like to thank everyone for their comments and experiences on my post. I am happy to say that the shingle marks have almost faded and I am doing much better. I am relieved and thankful that it wasn't as worse as it could have been. I hope the only shingles I see going forward are the ones on the rooftops.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.