Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:58:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 673
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 671
Total: 671

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Bit of a scare - probably nothing.  (Read 7444 times)

Offline benlemieux2003

Bit of a scare - probably nothing.
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:21 pm »
Hey guys,

Stupid question I'm sure. I went to get tested today at Sex Health Clinic and so the nurse was gonna take my blood but had a hard time finding a vein on my arm. So she asked the more experienced nurse (who was analyzing people's swabs at the microscope) to do it for he and so she's the one who drew my blood after tapping my arm a few times. Afterwards I realized she wasn't wearing gloves and so I'm kinda scared something from the swabs, some STI might have jumped on me...

Can any doc/nurse here reassure me that it's just my imagination running wild?

Thanks in advance

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:12:35 pm »
HIV is a fragile virus. It requires a very hospitable setting like inside a vagina or an anus to be transmitted. It is not transmitted from skin to skin in anything like the manner you are worrying about.

Read our lesson on transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:25:41 pm »
And what about other STIs? That's the last question I'll ask.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:30:05 pm »
Your mind is REALLY going to town! No, that is not how other sexually transmitted diseases are passed along. You were in a  healthcare setting, not some den of iniquity.

Take a breath and let go of this concern. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 05:40:14 pm »
Thanks I appreciate the reassurance

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 06:30:19 am »
Hi guys,

This is probably a no-brainer to everyone. Anyways. I'm in a monogamous same-sex relationship for almost a year now, things are great. Both my partner and I have been tested for all STIs at 3 months and everything was ok. I even took a quick test 3 weeks ago since I was at the doc's and it was negative.

I've had a few exposure traumas in the past so sometimes they haunt me a bit.

We had anal sex recently where I was the insertive. We used condoms (as always) and plenty of lube. I heard two sort-of bursting sounds when we where having sex, I checked the condom but didn't notice any tear or shredding. It had happened once before also

Is it actually normal that those sounds can occur during anal sex without condom breaking?

Thanks!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Slight fear
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 07:32:22 am »
Yes, these sounds can occur without a condom breaking.

It can be as simple as air being displaced to as serious as tearing a muscle in your outer or inner sphincter.

If you have blood present after the sex, or difficulty using the bathroom, you might have sustained an injury during the event. This is not an HIV situation, but if you have symptoms or pain, you should see your doctor about it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 10:28:04 am »
Thanks. That's what I thought :) Take care :)

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:00:17 pm »
Hi guys,

I was doing some housecleaning 2 days ago and cleaning the bathroom. About 10-15 minutes earlier our roomate and his friend were shaving and there were small blood leftovers on the sink handles, in semi-liquid form. I noticed too late and I'm afraid I had some on my hands, considering I have dry hands with little cuts because of skin dryness.

It's weird because part of me is saying I'm dumb for thinking this but the emotional side is wanting to scream out in panic, like the panic button is stuck in. I'm just afraid to infect my boyfriend who is the most wonderful person in the world. I used to be much more rational but since a panic attack I had last year, I developed OCD and it's gone off the charts. I'm scheduled to talk to a shrink next week.

Seems a lot of people here are like me, they don't have HIV but they DO have OCD.

Anyway it's driven my paranoia off the scale and I was wondering if there was any risk? Thanks so much.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 06:01:58 pm »
You didn't have a risk. Work with your doctor for your OCD issues.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »
Absolutely no risk.

Keep it simple. HIV risk for transmission is essentially about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. It's as simple as that.

Stop with the drama. 
Andy Velez

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 03:31:20 am »
Hi everyone,

I think I'm worry needlessly here but just thought I'd have your take on this.

Two nights ago, my partner and I were having drinks with two friends of ours, great time. At some point we decided to all make out with each other just for fun's sake. Then Friend 1 started putting his mouth over Friend 2's crotch (but we were all still dressed up so it was over his pants), then Friend 1 started making out with my boyfriend. At that point I thought this was getting a bit too much and I had a bit of panic attack and told my boyfriend that we should leave, and so we did.

I'm just worrying Friend 2 might have been leaking precum that would have "stained" friend 1's lips when he kissed my bf or somewhat into his mouth. I know it sounds crazy but say he was leaking a lot, would relatively fresh precum stains be dangerous for HIV and or other STIs for my bf? Especially since in the winter my bf gets chaffed lips...I'm trying to tell myself this is OUTSIDE the body therefore the virus would be deactivated, by the time Friend 1 kissed my bf, a few seconds after the mouth to crotch thing.

And yes, I'm currently being treated for OCD stuff. Yesterday was hell, I was so moody and felt so depressed. The HIV scare comes up every once in a while. Thanks for your advice!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:51:19 am by benlemieux2003 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Bit of a scare - probably nothing.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 04:35:31 am »
Yes, you are not thinking rational. HIV is not transmitted in that manner. Keep working with your doctor for your OCD.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:33:22 am »
Ben,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, please do keep working with your therapist for your OCD issues. We cannot help you with that here.

You're right in thinking that hiv is not transmitted outside the body and certainly not through clothing. You're worrying over nothing. As long as you are using condoms for intercourse outside a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested negative for hiv, you don't need to worry about hiv. It is not transmitted through kissing, even if there was cum or pre-cum on the person's lips.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:29:11 am »
Hey guys,

Hope everyone is well. My HIV-OCD only pops up once or twice every year and I'm still working on it.

I've been off my anti OCD medication for 2 days now because I went in for laser eye surgery yesterday, so that probably didn't help. Today I went for control checkup (hey I got perfect vision now!) with the doctor and he was showing me the best move to put the drops into my eyes (pulled down his lid) then did it to me I think with the same hand... A few minutes later started getting the HIV scare since I feared blood cells from his eyes to his finger might have rubbed my eyelid (and my eyes are still a bit scarring from the surgery).

It's not like if I felt blood smudging in my eyes or anything - I'm pretty sure there was no risk. Can you confirm?

I just hate this OCD thing so much - ruins the moments you should be most happy and annoys the hell out of people - I'm sorry if I do that to you :(

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:36 am »
Please get back on your meds - and just as importantly - back into therapy - as soon as possible. Of COURSE there was no HIV risk.

You knew that all along, I suspect.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:53:56 am »
Mods you concurr?

Offline benlemieux2003

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 05:12:17 pm »
Ann, Rod, Andy you agree?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 05:39:54 pm »
Cut out the drama. Yes, I agree with JK. No risk, no risk, no risk.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.