Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:41:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 614
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly diagnosed  (Read 5522 times)

Offline ridingon

Newly diagnosed
« on: January 12, 2019, 08:50:05 am »
Hi all,

I'm 25, and its been 2 weeks since my diagnosis, the day after Christmas 2018, and 1 week in on Triumeq. My heart is still heavy, but I think I'm getting better and better each day.

I do not know where or when I couldve been infected, seeing I make sure all my seual encounters are with condoms. So the day I got the call to come back for a confirmation test, I was in shock and texted my boyfriend immediately. Fortunately his test came back negative. However, my WB came back Poz. We are still together, and hopefully we will stay together.

For the first week, I've been down and sad, I lost all appetite and energy, and I couldn't sleep. I still managed to go to work but was on autopilot mode most of the time. I mean I accepted it, but just thinking about how it will affect my life, my job in the future in the medical field, is overwhelming. And life just seemed... boring and aimless now.

As for the second week, I've been on Triumeq, and I can feel myself feeling better and better. I still have trouble falling asleep, but I'm smiling more and eating more. Just knowing that I am on medication and that it will eventually be undetectable and untransmittable makes me feel like I'm taking back the control of my life bit by bit.

However, even though I know it shouldnt change anything in my life, and that I should be able to achieve and be anything I want, I have already needed to make changes for my life and career plans. I've always been the kind of person whos had my life goals set and planned out, and now that its all shattered it scares me not knowing what is in front of me.

I havent told anyone in my life, apart from my boyfriend. I guess I'm just not ready yet, and I dont know if I ever will be able to break the news to my family and friends. I'm hoping to keep the genie in the bottle for as long as i can, but I know how secrets can poison lives. So I thought this would be a great first step towards self-healing, and have someone to talk to, even though its anonymous.

Thank you for reading and being my outlet of frustration, I really needed it. :(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Newly diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:26:40 am »
Hiya

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the dignoisis.

Glad to hear you have support from your partner and that you are already on treatment. I know the news can be a lot to digest at first but give yourself time to get your head arround it.

I havent told anyone in my life, apart from my boyfriend. I guess I'm just not ready yet, and I dont know if I ever will be able to break the news to my family and friends. I'm hoping to keep the genie in the bottle for as long as i can, but I know how secrets can poison lives. So I thought this would be a great first step towards self-healing, and have someone to talk to, even though its anonymous

It's not really a secret is it? I mean it's simply a private medical condition. Now billions of people have one or multiple manageable conditions that they don't wave arround or announce to everyone, nothing wrong with it.

Sooner or later you will no longer even think about HIV, just pop a pill a day and live your life.

Take it easy

Jim
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:30:13 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 06:24:07 pm »
Ridingon -

Sometimes you have to keep moving forward - and that’s all you can do.

The journey does get smoother.

You are not alone.
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20
09-29-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 972 32% VL <20
03-25-2021 Blood Draw - CD4 1168 38% VL = 26

Offline ridingon

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:21:51 am »
Thanks to Jim and Dragon, for your warm and reassuring words.

Yes my partner has been very supportive, and has been acting exactly the same. So things are good on the relationship front. :)

This all happened so quickly, so I'm still learning how to live with it. But I'm slowly getting there and at least I'm not getting panic attacks at night anymore, so hooray for me!

Offline happy74

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:31:52 am »
Ridingon
Take it easy, I am also on Triumeq 3 months already, I feel this pill is great and the side effect not that strong. Insomnia will no longer affect you after the first month of medication. I take it at night time as less interfere with my daily routine.
May I know your CD4 and Viral load?

Best regards

Offline ridingon

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:15 am »
Ridingon
Take it easy, I am also on Triumeq 3 months already, I feel this pill is great and the side effect not that strong. Insomnia will no longer affect you after the first month of medication. I take it at night time as less interfere with my daily routine.
May I know your CD4 and Viral load?

Best regards

Hi happy74,

Yes, I chose to take Triumeq in the morning because I thought the insomnia would make me awake in the daytime, but it doesnt work like that apparently, I'm so tired for about the first 10 days, and feel like I napped a little too much during the day. I do feel better and better everyday, even though I'm still having these crazy vivid dreams, whereas I used to not dream at all. Not sure if its from the pill or psychological reasons though. :P

Another reason is that I feel like the morning is the most private time I have in a day and I'll always have a pill with me, and that I dont need to worry if I'm out late unplanned without a pill. Also I want to feel blessed when I first wake up in the morning, take the pill to start my day, and have it work its magic inside me during the day as I work. If that makes any sense.  ;D

I don't have my numbers yet, I'm going in to get my report tomorrow, and get my blood drawn again after the first 2 weeks of treatment and see if the meds are working. Hopefully I'd be starting off with high CD4 and low VL. *fingers crossed

Offline ridingon

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:47 am »
VL:34,388
CD4: 524

Not too bad to start with I'd say. :)

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 04:57:33 pm »
Hey Ridingon

Im so sorry that you got the diagnosis and around such a stressful time of the year for many. But I am glad that you caught it, you're on treatment and you have a support system in your boyfriend.

I personally don't think you need to tell anyone except your sexual partners. Since your boyfriend knows, you all can take precautions until you are UD for 6 months.

I never understood the whole HIV closet anyway. How many people deal with revealing any other illness they may have. Only certain medical providers and sexual partners need to know.

You have so much to work through, I say don't even worry about that. This is your journey and don't let anyone tell you how to take it.

EDIT: your numbers are good starting out. Your CD4 is in the  normal healthy range and your VL isn't too high. Trust me, there are people who start out in a much worse predicament as far as immune health and they are still here, sharing their journies with us.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:00:33 pm by Mightysure »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:53:40 pm »
VL:34,388
CD4: 524

Not too bad to start with I'd say. :)

Not bad at all and I think plenty of members would have given their right arm for such CD4 levels to start with.  ;)

How are you getting on?

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline ridingon

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 12:35:20 am »
Hey guys :)

So my numbers after 1 month on Triumeq came back and it was surprisingly VL undetectable.  :D Me and my ID doctor were both surprised to see such drastic results after only one month, and am scheduled to come back one month later for another VL blood test before I can cut down to a seasonal visit.

As for myself, things have been great. Work and social events have been keeping me busy and tired, so sleep was great, and my mind is actually at a peaceful state. All in all, life has gone back to normal. :)

Thank yall for all your kind words and concerns, they really helped me a lot through those first couple rough weeks.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2019, 01:54:15 am »
Excellent update, really glad to hear life is going back to normal and things are going well  :)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 07:36:48 am »
Normal is just fine!
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20
09-29-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 972 32% VL <20
03-25-2021 Blood Draw - CD4 1168 38% VL = 26

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.