Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:46:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 475
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Trying to support partner  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Neil

• Standard
Trying to support partner
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:00 pm »
Hi everyone

I am just looking for some advice here and really just to talk about how I am feeling. I have been dating a guy who is positive since before Christmas. The problem is that he was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, and I really do think he is struggling to cope. He is from abroad, and he met a guy from his country and came here to start a new life. The guy was also positive but he was very abusive, physically and psychologically, and basically made him feel very bad for having HIV, basically telling him that nobody else would want him because of his status. He told me that he has always had low self esteem, and this is not exactly helping, neither does the fact that when I first met him, I had a lot of anxieties about it although he was the first positive guy who I have dated and I was his first negative.

Anyway, the stage we are at now is that things are improving; I am trying to direct him to support services and counselling services, and even suggesting things like meditation to help him. Other than be there for him, I am not sure exactly what else I can do. The problem is that, he is having money problems, he lost all of his friends at home, and he only recently told his family (which was the result of an argument about other things). So he is basically in this country, with no friends other than myself, and his work colleges, money shortages, and low mood at times. The reason I think that he is not coping, is that he does not seem to be dealing well with the small ups and downs of life, and blowing a lot of things out of proportion which can result in arguments. For example, one day he said something to me, and I did not like the way he spoke to me. I asked him to be aware of it, and not to do it again. I did not realise until about a week later that he took this to mean this is the reason why he has no friends, as he is ‘cheeky’ to people. I reassured him he is a very polite person and very well liked by everyone, and this is just a part of getting to know each other, and to have these discussions is normal.

Anyway, things seem to run smoothly, and when they are good they are great. I think I have managed to deal with things quite well, but sometimes, I just feel some of the issues are out of my depth to deal with. Life is normal, and then something comes up. For example, tonight he has told me that he disclosed his HIV status to a manager at his work, and that he fears this manger has told another manager, and that it may be becoming common knowledge at his work. All I can really think to do there is tell him about confidentiality and the employer responsibility, and direct him to aids map web page on employment. He was worried about employers in the future finding out from his current boss, but this would not happen?

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the best way to support him, considering he is not coping with it, he is alone, having money problems are problems at work.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Trying to support partner
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:55:18 am »
The best you can do is exactly what you're doing - being there for him. Keep the lines of communication open as you have been doing. Give him time. It can take a lot of time (and patience on your part) to get over being in an emotionally abusive relationship, but love will win out at the end of the day.

I've known other poz people who were repeatedly told they were damaged goods and no one else would want them, and it takes a while to understand how wrong this is. Keep loving him and he'll understand too. Patience! :)

You're right about the confidentiality laws in the UK and they're pretty strict in enforcing them. The only "if" I can think of is whether or not the employer is aware of the laws. They should be, because the confidentiality laws come under the same law as the one that governs any disability, and for the purpose of the law, a positive person is covered from the point of diagnosis.

Regardless of whether or not the employer is aware of the laws, they are still obligated to understand and implement them and can be prosecuted for not abiding by them. Ignorance is no excuse.

Direct.gov.uk has a lot of information on this - google hiv employment law UK and look for the direct.gov.uk hits.

Good luck, and keep doing what you're doing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.