Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 387
Total: 387

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: More on the Saturday morning walk  (Read 6721 times)

Offline allanq

More on the Saturday morning walk
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:10:11 pm »
I've done San Francisco walks scores of times with groups of friends, but never with 20 or 30 or 40 people, so I'm a little nervous about how this will work out. I'm going to give Dennis maps of the walk to put in the welcome packets, and I hope this will help. I'll mark a few "catch up" points on the map so that we can periodically regroup. This will definitely be a kind of "loosey goosey" affair with just a minimum amount of commentary.

I did this walk a couple of weeks ago just to see how long it took. The first part (to the Ferry Building) will probably take about an hour and a half, and the second part, to Pier 39, about 45 minutes. We'll take a break at the Ferry Building so you can explore the shops inside and the Saturday farmer's market outside. It's a real lively scene on Saturday mornings.

On the first part of the walk, we'll be going to Union Square, a few blocks of Chinatown, through the financial district to the TransAmerica Pyramid, then down California Street to the Ferry Building.

The entire walk is about 2½ miles, with a few blocks that are a little bit uphill from the hotel to Union Square and another two slightly uphill blocks in Chinatown. I think the total uphill portions amount to about 50 feet. From the Ferry Building to Pier 39, the walk is completely level.

If a 2½ mile walk is more than you'd like to do, you can end the walk at the Ferry Building or meet the group at the Ferry Building and just do the second part of the walk to Pier 39. The Ferry Building is two stops away from the hotel on the underground Muni Metro (Embarcadero Station). You can also take the F-Line trolley to the Ferry Building. (They're the colorfully painted vintage trolleys that you see  along Market Street.)

On the way from the Ferry Building to Pier 39, we'll take a short detour to Levi Strauss Plaza, the home of the jeans maker. The plaza is an attractive urban park with an unusual fountain. There is also an interesting exhibit of jeans and other Levi Strauss fashions from the early days of the company to the present. (Did I really wear stuff like that in the 1970's?) I always enjoy the blowups of letters that customers have written to the company over the years. If you're like me, you'll be interested to know that there is a restroom inside near the exhibit area.

There are lots of places to eat at Pier 39, including Bubba Gumps, which Dennis has mentioned. Pier 39 is kind of like "Tourist Central," and a lot of natives like to brag that they never go there. I still think it's a fun place to visit. The views are nice, and I like to watch the sea lions that hang out on a barge right next to the pier.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: More on the Saturday morning walk
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:14:31 pm »
I've done San Francisco walks scores of times with groups of friends, but never with 20 or 30 or 40 people, so I'm a little nervous about how this will work out.

Oh Allan:  Bless your kind little heart, but I gotta warn you, getting this motley group together and going in the same direction at the same time?  You have NO idea what kind of challenge you've accepted.   ::)  (Snicker Snicker)  They'll be wandering off in every which direction, trust me!

This will definitely be a kind of "loosey goosey" affair

Well that just sounds plain naughty if you ask me!   :P

I did this walk a couple of weeks ago just to see how long it took. The first part (to the Ferry Building) will probably take about an hour and a half, and the second part, to Pier 39, about 45 minutes. We'll take a break at the Ferry Building so you can explore the shops inside and the Saturday farmer's market outside. It's a real lively scene on Saturday mornings.

On the first part of the walk, we'll be going to Union Square, a few blocks of Chinatown, through the financial district to the TransAmerica Pyramid, then down California Street to the Ferry Building.

The entire walk is about 2½ miles, with a few blocks that are a little bit uphill from the hotel to Union Square and another two slightly uphill blocks in Chinatown. I think the total uphill portions amount to about 50 feet. From the Ferry Building to Pier 39, the walk is completely level.

If a 2½ mile walk is more than you'd like to do, you can end the walk at the Ferry Building or meet the group at the Ferry Building and just do the second part of the walk to Pier 39.

That's probably what I'll end up doing.  Which would you advise as being the best choice of the two?

If you're like me, you'll be interested to know that there is a restroom inside near the exhibit area.

I'm not even going to post what I'm thinking you were saying here.  No siree Bob!   ;)

Seriously though Allan, thank you for putting so much effort and attention into this.  Depending on the weather and my energy level, this sounds like a great way to see the city.  You are wonderful buddy.

RAB

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:50:11 pm »
RAB,

I had a good laugh with your comment about the restrooms. I should have known better about mentioning restrooms with this group!

I talked to Woods about the challenges of a walk with an unruly mob like the AMG crowd, and he suggested designating catch-up points to maintain some semblance of togetherness. Why didn't I think of that?

As far as what part of the walk to do -- it's hard to say. I always enjoy exploring the business districts of cities, which is what the first part of the walk is about. I like to look at architecture, especially older buildings.  We'll also get a nice close up view of the Pyramid. There's a little redwood grove next to the Pyramid. So if you want to see redwoods but can't make it to Muir Woods, this is your chance. The grove is gated, and I'm not sure if it's unlocked on weekends, but it's nice to see even from outside the gates. Unlike the 2000-year-old giants in Muir Woods, the redwoods in this little urban grove are just babies that are only a few decades old.

The walk along the waterfront is pleasant, but there aren't any major sights--just views of the bay and the detour to Levi Strauss Plaza.

Allan
(who just today discovered how Matt (newt) gets that nice uncrowded Verdana font for his posts)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 11:28:17 pm by allanq »

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:41:54 pm »
HI Rab.

I would recommend the 1st half of the walk.  It's not that strenuous and you'll see quite a cross-section of SF.  Union Sq, China Town, a little smattering of North Beach and then the financial section.  Ending up at the Ferry Building is perfect for lunch or just to treat yourself to something special from the Market.  It's an easy bus ride back to the hotel or any other part of the city for that matter.  (If you're into baseball, you can see Pac Bell Park (that's not it's name...but it's where the SF Giants play).  As far as baseball fields go, it's stunning.)  The Ferry building is about equidistant between Pier 39 and the baseball field.

The walk along the pier is beautiful, of course.  But you'll be seeing sweeping panoramas from practically everyplace you go.

see you soon buddy!! 

robert

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 10:18:51 pm »
I am the one bringing up the rear (you know what I mean RAB!) because I arrive at the airport on Sat. morning around 10:30.  I plan to BART to the hotel, get checked in, and then somehow find a way to catch up with this walking group.  I will have my cell phone...(and I have some familiarity with SF) so I would like some idea about how and who I can call and catch up with the group (I am guessing it will be between 12 and 1.)  Looking forward to seeing everyone again...and still wishing I could come earlier (but can't.)

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:35:48 pm »
sorry to lower the tone but i couldnt let the words 'restroom' and 'exhibit' be mentioned in the same sentence without comment  ;D

allan i just want to say thank you as well in advance for the time and effort youve put into looking after us all on the saturday morning walk, it's much appreciated

looking forward to meeting you
xxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.